Belize Excursions with 9 mo old

sailaway76

I am going on Panama Cruise with our 10 y.o. and 10 month old. We are also bringing our parents to help out. We were wanting to do an excursion with our older son like snorkeling and our parents want to do the ruins and are planning on bringing the 10 month old. Has anyone done this excursion with an infant?

Thank you.

There are numerous ruins in Belize. Having been to 2 of them closest to Belize City, let me warn you that Belize is very HOT! The first time we went it was 104 degrees (actual temperature/not the heat index) and the 2nd time it was 85 but felt like 100 degrees.

If they are planning on visiting Altun Ha, there is very little shade here and the sun is directly overhead. But if visiting Lamanai, this is a very long trip - 1 hr from docks to boat pier, another 30-45 minutes or so on the water before you even get to the ruins. Then there will be lunch served before entering the jungle for roughly 2 hours. It took us just over 7 hours to do this tour roundtrip - a VERY long day, IMO; especially for a small child. The rugged terrain and boat ride may also be an issue for a baby.

Yeah you might wanna rethink this. Usually, I am here to tell parents that the babies/kids can go everywhere. But in the case of Belize ruins, it's a different story.

If the excursion is the 5-8 hour trip...it is too long for a baby.

We just went to Belize last month. We didn't experience the heat (because it was Winter...LOL) but I decided against bringing the kids into port with us (for the first time ever). And I looked into every way to do it and I just couldn't.

The ruins, the tours, I felt were just wayyyy too long for them

I could have taken them on the jungle boat/zoo tour, many have done it with babies. But my kids weren't interested.

So how long is the tour that your parents are looking into?

Thank you for the responses. I actually did the ruins a couple of years ago here and it is a really long day. I think we might let the parents go on the ruins and maybe do a the Private Beach Break tour and bring the baby with us. We did this tour last year before the baby and it has the cover and it is only 4 hours long. I actually just went out and bought one of those beach cover play mats to bring. I am hoping this might be a better alternative. We live in Florida and are a little used to the heat but your right about the temperature there...that is hot!! I am not sure what to do...

We are do the Panama Canal, Costa Rica and Belize. In Panama we are doing the Train Tour and everyone is going on that one and Costa Rica we are doing the Train/Boat/Bus Tour.

The Beach Break is definitely more suitable. You, your spouse and older son will be able to enjoy snorkeling and other water activities without worrying about how your parents are getting along with the baby.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Archived