What to do around Baltimore port and parking.

StinkyFeesh

In July we're leaving from the Baltimore port. We plan on driving down and spending a day or two there before starting the cruise. I'll have my two children, 8 and 4, with us so going to DC won't be something they'd be down for. What else is there to do in the area that would be good for a family?

Also, when we go to the port to leave, where do we park? Do the lines have their own parking area? Or do we have to just find a long term lot somewhere to leave our car?

Thanks.

There is an aquarium that is really nice. There are paddle boats you can rent. There is an old ship you can tour, The Consititution, I think. There is a lot to do down by the water.

Our family had a great time there.

darcy8

Head for the Inner Harbor...from there you can Water Taxi around the Harbor to various restaurants, museums, and Fells Point (eateries, bars, shops). Port Discovery (great for kids), a fantastic hands-on science museum w/IMAX, and the aquarium are all right at the Inner Harbor. If you're a baseball fan, you could check to see if there's a home game at Camden Yards - also walking distance from the Inner Harbor. Lots of hotels, there, too - all no more than 15 minutes from the Baltimore cruise terminal. Enjoy!

As a local I would say that yes, the harbor is fabulous for the day and evening for families. Also, I'm not sure excatly when you're sailing but usually around July they have Baltimore Restaurant Week. During this week a great majority of the fancy, high priced restaurants have a prixe-fix menu 3 course dinner for $30.00! You can check to see when it starts by going to www.baltimorerestaurantweek.com.

Also, around that time they may be doing movies on the hill or in Little Italy. They are usually free, outdoor movies showings (nothing too current) shown on the side of buildings. That's pretty cool. The American Visionary Arts Museum is pretty cool and quirky too. When you get in to town pick up the City Paper, it's free. Not the Baltimore Sun, but the City Paper. The City Paper has a current listing of things going on in Baltimore during the week. You can always check it out ahead of time by going to www.citypaper.com.

Also a local, I would definitely agree with the Inner Harbour. Its great but if you plan on doing the aquarium just be prepared to fork over some money. Its definitely expensive. If you're on a budget then I would just walk around the shops and restaurants. The Water Taxi is great too!

• 3 weeks later...
:) Thanks for that madelinerose

I was just about to correct that post as the USS Constitution is in Boston.

Don't forget to visit Fort McHenry when in Baltimore....very interesting and nice views. :)

You're welcome.

And, don't forget to hum the Star Spangled Banner when you visit the Fort. :D

The Science Center down at the Inner Harbor is a fun thing to do with kids. If your kids are into trains there is the B&O Railroad museum a few miles from the inner harbor. Maybe take a ball game in at Camden yards if the Orioles are in town. There is alot to do in Baltimore, so you won't be bored.

In July we're leaving from the Baltimore port. We plan on driving down and spending a day or two there before starting the cruise. I'll have my two children, 8 and 4, with us so going to DC won't be something they'd be down for. What else is there to do in the area that would be good for a family?

Also, when we go to the port to leave, where do we park? Do the lines have their own parking area? Or do we have to just find a long term lot somewhere to leave our car?

Thanks.

:cool:The key to your question is a day or two. If only one day, then the inner harbor is where you want to go. IMAX, and aquarium are the bit attractions. If two days, head the hour south and go to DC. Near Washington Monument, you can catch a trolly bus, pay one fee, and take tour to all attractions. Take full tour, then later you can get on and off at whereever you want to spend time at, i.e. Smithsonian.:cool: If DC is not your interest, a 35 min drive south of Baltimore is Annapolis. Great waterfront town with many nice restaurants and Naval Academy. Try Middleton's Tavern on the waterfront:cool: All towns are great JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Thanks for all the tips. I do intend on staying after the cruise as well and figured we might go to a Busch Gardens or something if there was one reasonably close, (one in VA right?). So whatever we can't do before we can do after the cruise.

Thanks for all the tips. I do intend on staying after the cruise as well and figured we might go to a Busch Gardens or something if there was one reasonably close, (one in VA right?). So whatever we can't do before we can do after the cruise.

Yeah, jump on I-95 and you'll run right into that (at Williamsburg) and King's Dominion. Haven't been to either but I've passed them regularly. Shouldn't be too bad a drive, provided the traffic cooperates. You'll also be passing through prime Civil War Battlefield areas if you're into history.

Busch Gardens is in Williamsburg, VA...202 miles from the Baltimore cruise terminal.

In answer to the other question, there is parking at the port, $15 per day. It's not a big spread out port like Port Everglades, so it's probably something similar to parking at a Walmart Supercenter LOL. Here's a pic I found on another thread. Looks like you drive in, drop the lugagge off, pull into the parking area and walk over to the terminal.

CruiseMaryland-vi.jpg

Thanks.

When are you going? We are on the 24th! Have you joined a roll call?

Hugs,

Chelle

When are you going? We're going on the 17th. I agree with most of the suggestions. We live in Annapolis and it is a great day trip from Baltimore. Lots of history and great food. And, Port Discovery at the Inner Harbour is great for kids the age of yours.

You could head into Annapolis, it has a nice little waterfront area and of course the Naval Academy. If you want to get on the yard everyone over 16 needs to have a picture ID, it is a pretty cool place to see once.

Yeah, jump on I-95 and you'll run right into that (at Williamsburg) and King's Dominion. Haven't been to either but I've passed them regularly. Shouldn't be too bad a drive, provided the traffic cooperates. You'll also be passing through prime Civil War Battlefield areas if you're into history.

Busch Gardens is much nicer than Kings Dominion ihmo. Worth the extra hour or so down the road past KD (maybe 90 minutes if traffic is bad.) Last time I was at KD the park was dirty, staff was surly, stuff wasn't in good repair, and many rides were broken - way more than should have been for an average day. I was sad to see that - it used to be a really nice park years ago.

The Busch parks are always beautiful, have something for the whole family, better shows, cleaner, and more fun. I may be biased though -LOL - I spent my summers in college back in the early 90s running coasters at the Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. :) Best summer job a kid could wish for.

Archived