have you done the ziplining?

heatherdbullard

we are going on our first cruise in less than two months to grand cayman/cozumel. were trying to each pick a good excursion (one for each place). We're thinking the stingrays, but the zip lining sounds fun to me also. I want it to be like really neat views like on the amazing race ziplines! my husband doesnt want to do it if its like 30 ft in the air and only takes a few min to complete. what is it like? worth the money? or should we skip it?

We love to zip line & always try to pick at least one stop where we can do it. Stingray City on the other hand is not one of my favs. The one & only time I've done it was a cruise sponsered excursion. I was miserable the entire time. Waves were choppy, going over my head & of course I got the worst snorkeling equipment on the boat. If I ever try it again it will be with one of the private vendors I've seen on the port of call thread.

The views and the length...and speed, etc...are going to vary from island to island. We did it in Jamaica...(which is a large mountainous island)...and it was really good there. There longest "zip" is around 1,250 ft....or a quarter of a mile. And it gets movin'! Anyhow...you'd be hard pressed to beat that length on most islands though. Long story short...it is great fun. But if I had never been to Cayman...and hadn't done the Stingrays before...I would do that there. Cozumel...its up to you!

It all depends on the site. Look at the number of platforms.

It's great fun..but can wear you out if there are lots of platforms.

I don't think you'll just be 30 feet in the air...normally it's 80 or so. Sometimes even more. Very fun. Do it.

I hate to be the nay sayer of the group but WHERE you zipline is important and unfortunately if you are planning to do so in Cozumel....I am afraid it will be a let down.

Ziplining was started in countries with mountains and thick tropical jungles....Cozumel has neither.

It is a few manmade concrete towers that you glide from over sparse flat sandy ground.

Hubby and older son did it in Puerto Vallarta and LOVED IT. 14 stations and a glide literally over a river....it was amazing. Los De Vernos.

But you will not find anything like that in Cozumel.

Just make sure you know the port you are choosing to zipline in.

There's no ziplining in Cayman either...

Grand Cayman is a very flat island. The highest natural point on the island is at The Mountain which is all of 63 feet above sea level. That may be exceeded by Mount Trashmore at the dump, but no one wants to zip line there!

Archived