Scuba at sunset house

Hopelesslu

Hi all, very excited 13 more days till we are on the Navigator!!! So I'm trying to nail down my Cayman plans. My DH would love to do a quick shore dive, bur it is feeling guility leaving me alone. Really not a problem. The great people on this site thought it would be just fine for me to wait at the beach for him. How about Sunset beach? Do you make reserv. in advance or just show up. Is there a beach were I will be able to wait for him? I'm afraid he's just gonna give up on scuba diving there.

Thanks for any thoughts. Sorry for the long post!! Just so excited!!:D

Sunset 'beach' or Sunset House

Sunset House is a great place for a shore dive and you can hang out at My Bar for sure ... ask nice and they typically have no problem with your using the pool. But there area is Iron Shore ....no sand beach

http://sunsethouse.com/shore_diving.php

http://sunsethouse.com/bar.php

http://sunsethouse.com/pool.php

Sunset 'beach' or Sunset House

Sunset House is a great place for a shore dive and you can hang out at My Bar for sure ... ask nice and they typically have no problem with your using the pool. But there area is Iron Shore ....no sand beach

http://sunsethouse.com/shore_diving.php

http://sunsethouse.com/bar.php

http://sunsethouse.com/pool.php

So they will let you do a shore dive even if you are not a resort guest? This would be wonderful for my husband and I and our friends. The guys dive and the women like to sit back and relax. Coming in on a cruise ship, you don't have a lot of time!

Thanks!

absolutely you can shore dive there - the only restriction is "no outside tanks" you rent tanks from the dive shop there. You can bring all your own gear otherwize...and it is a full shop so you can rent everything there if needed.

IME this is how all the Cayman sites worked (except for private property). The resorts and shop were open to outsiders, just a "no outside tanks" rule if they had a shop onsite.

absolutely you can shore dive there - the only restriction is "no outside tanks" you rent tanks from the dive shop there. You can bring all your own gear otherwize...and it is a full shop so you can rent everything there if needed.

IME this is how all the Cayman sites worked (except for private property). The resorts and shop were open to outsiders, just a "no outside tanks" rule if they had a shop onsite.

Thank you so much! I think this might be the best bet for us! My husband always brings his own gear except tanks! They are planning to only go up to about 50 ft deep so this area sounds perfect! If the girls want to go and hang out we can go too! I'm guessing it is a quick taxi ride from the port at Georgetown? It looks fairly close! And you can do everything at your own pace, not be concerned about the time limit on the excursion. Just the time to get back to the ship!:) I didn't realize there was such a place in Grand Cayman! 49 days and counting!

'dis is da place for you....your plan is what we do....easy to have a good dive in the 40 to 50 foot range and 1 mile south of the tender landings. I hoof it, but a quick and easy taxi ride.

Thanks Capt BJ! Could you tell me about how much it would be to rent the tanks? And how much I should expect to Pay for a taxi? We want to be prepared and not get ripped off unknowingly! We think this will be the place for us as well!

all rental prices available on the web page

Air Tank $10.00 (US) $8.00 (CI)

(remember the CI dollar is coupled to the US dollar at this exchange rate...she may LOOK 20, but that's 16 CI)

I can't quote a taxi fare as I hoof it, like I said. But 1 mile ..... so ask before you get in the taxi. I shouldn't be but a few dollars..... And when ready to leave ask the bar tender to get you a taxi....many off duty drivers will be playing dominoes at the bar anyway

all rental prices available on the web page

Air Tank $10.00 (US) $8.00 (CI)

(remember the CI dollar is coupled to the US dollar at this exchange rate...she may LOOK 20, but that's 16 CI)

I can't quote a taxi fare as I hoof it, like I said. But 1 mile ..... so ask before you get in the taxi. I shouldn't be but a few dollars..... And when ready to leave ask the bar tender to get you a taxi....many off duty drivers will be playing dominoes at the bar anyway

Thank you so much (again)! Capt BJ! My husband is starting to get really excited now! I didn't see the rental prices on the site! If it wasn't for the dive gear, we would hoof it too! We don't want them to be tired before they even dive! I look at cruise info every day so I am excited every day waiting for the time to fly by!

Thanks again,

Marguerite

Capt BJ, can we still bring and use our own snorkeling gear at Sunsethouse? I want to snorkel and my DW wants to just hang out at " my bar " til I get back. Either way, if I have to rent there gear or if I can use my own this is what we want to do.

Capt BJ, can we still bring and use our own snorkeling gear at Sunsethouse? I want to snorkel and my DW wants to just hang out at " my bar " til I get back. Either way, if I have to rent there gear or if I can use my own this is what we want to do.

absolutely you can shore dive there - the only restriction is "no outside tanks" you rent tanks from the dive shop there. You can bring all your own gear otherwize...

Most foks at Sunset have all their own gear. Most snorkelers will be people burning a little time between dives....

• 1 month later...
Thank you so much (again)! Capt BJ! My husband is starting to get really excited now! I didn't see the rental prices on the site! If it wasn't for the dive gear, we would hoof it too! We don't want them to be tired before they even dive! I look at cruise info every day so I am excited every day waiting for the time to fly by!

Thanks again,

Marguerite

Well CAPT B J, the time has flown by and now we are getting 2 days in Grand Cayman!! We will be at Sunset House on Wednesday and Thursday next week! I can't wait to get there and I hope to meet you! I'll be hanging at the bar and pool!

Marguerite

don't look for me .... I'll be in Florida ....

hope it as good as all my trips have been tho ....

Gee, and we are leaving Florida to go to GC! I thought you now lived down there! You seemed to be quite the expert! Thank you for all of your help! Since we will be there now for 2 days the guys will be diving there twice now! They are sooo looking forward to it! And I am looking forward to lounging by the pool there while I wait!

This might be too late for you. Sunset House is a great place to dive. However, there is no beach and your husband cannot dive without a buddy (no solo diving in the Caymans) and unless he has advanced cert he is required to have a buddy anyone. I suggest you arrange a boat dive, where he will have a guide/buddy and you can go shopping or hit Seven Mile Beach!

This might be too late for you. Sunset House is a great place to dive. However, there is no beach and your husband cannot dive without a buddy (no solo diving in the Caymans) and unless he has advanced cert he is required to have a buddy anyone. I suggest you arrange a boat dive, where he will have a guide/buddy and you can go shopping or hit Seven Mile Beach!

Just FYI, their website states that you can have a guide with you for a more detailed shore dive also.

Thanks for the great info Capt B J! My husband and friend had great dives in Grand Cayman at Sunset house! They took a cab ($5) to Sunset House on Wednesday and needed to have a cab called to get back after their 2 dives! The cab ride back after 1/2 hour wait was $10! The island was quite busy as there were 5 ships in port the first day! They went back on Thursday for a quick 1 tank dive again and had a great time! They said they were friendly both days, but much friendlier on the second day! I didn't go and hang out, I stayed on the ship the 1st day and then did some shopping the second day! It is definitely a place we will go to again! They even saw the submarine come by the 1st day! (They say they were almost hit by a submarine!) They were happy to be able to dive by themselves and look around and take their time! They were glad not to have to follow a dive master! They find that boring as they were both Rescue Divers and know what they are doing! The second day they were collecting fishing line and some trash to take back and dispose of.

Thanks again for the info! We will go to Sunset house again! We will be gooing back again next year!

Archived