Calling all Visa Point Users! Please help me do the math

OK so I've searched and read at least 100 threads regarding Visa points.:eek: My head is spinning and I'm so afraid of messing this point thing up. Here is my situation:

Sailing Oct 2009

Booked a D2 Balcony for $1619 per person

Booked an L inside for $1099 per person + $699 for 3rd person

Have $75K points on one card and 40K on another.

I THINK (:confused:) my best option would be to use 50K points to Upgrade on a 9 to 12 night Caribbean cruise for two (oceanview stateroom to minimum available balcony stateroom, excluding suites).*

Today, the OV is selling for $1299 I don't know what it sold for when I booked (I know it was more than the $1099 inside) - Do they apply todays rate or "the when I booked rate" ????

What's the best scenerio here?

Also, the kids are in an inside - I'll still have the 25K leftover plus 40k on the other card. I know I can upgrade them to an OV for 15k but we are on deck 9 and like the higher decks. I don't think there are any OV's for 3 up there. I guess I can always take money off their fares??

I just want the best bang for my buck.

What would you experts do???

Thank you soooo much!!!

~Connie

The good news - you don't have to worry about it now. Double check with the VISA points number - but if you aren't sure how you will use your points - and if you think your 40,000 point card will be over 50,000 points in a few months - wait until about a month before your cruise and cash them in. But call the VISA points number first - they will help you with that.

The main reason to wait - is to accumulate more points. You've already booked the balcony cabin. When you cash in your points they will basically apply the value to your reservation.

When DH and I used 50,000 points on a 3 nighter over Christmas we used points - it was a discount on the price of our cabin of up to $500 each for 2. We got a free cruise. We were originally going to use it for an upgrade on a 5 night sailing. Any way they do it, it shows as a reduction on what is due on the cabin. If there are price drops along the way, you are eligible for them.

Hope this helps.

If I am understanding your question correctly, today's rate is irrelevant. You would upgrade from one category to another - regardless of the rates.

I've never upgraded to balcony, but I always book inside and upgrade to OV. The only stipulation on my upgrades is that the cost difference cannot exceed $300. It did on one ship, and I had to pay the difference. Typically, it falls well below the $300 maximum.

Your travel agent will track all this down for you if you're using one. Mine has been hugely helpful in sorting through the VISA points confusion.

Are you doing a 7 night cruise. If so I would use the 75,000 for your companion fare. You can still book a balcony, they would just take the cost off the lowest price OV when you call with your certificate number.

If you are doing longer than 7 nights, it doesn't hurt to ask if you can take it off your cruise. I once used our 7 nights for 2 people points for an 8 night stay on the Jewel of the Seas. Normally they do not let you use it on an 8 night, but there were several sailings that were an exception. It doesn't hurt to call and ask.

Your best bet is to call and ask them directly.

Archived