southern vs eastern carribean

karen327

We did our first cruise recently, NCL western Carribean and loved it. Would like to go again, and if we can't get enough time off to do south america, we are debating between eastern and southern carribean as another choice. Can anyone tell me how they may differ and how they may compare to western Carribean? We loved island tours, hiking in the jungle, seeing the ruins, seeing a different culture, snorkeling, etc. We aren't big lay on the beach or shopping people. Which one would you recommend?

Based on your comments, I would say southern. Eastern is nice- but many of the eastern islands have shopping as the big draw. Some of the choices usually on southern itineraries are a little more off the beaten path. Although I don't love Carnival, the cruise I did with them was a southern and the islands were probably the best of any cruise IMHO.

Karen327,

NCL used to offer an exotic 9 night southern itinerary that included Barbados, St. Kitts, Dominica, St. Lucia, Tortola, and Antigua. Absolutely fantastic.:D It would leave Miami on a Friday afternoon, and return on the following Sunday, nine days later. The same ship would them make a five day Western Caribbean swing, so you could do a 14 day BTB. For whatever reason, NCL has discontinued those itineraries.:confused: So what you're left with is the basic, Samana, Tortola, Antigua and St. Lucia seven day itinerary, which other than Samana, is pretty good. NCL doesn't seem to travel to the more exotic ports, such as Aruba, Curacao or Grenada anymore. Probably a budget issue. They also, at least as far as I can tell, no longer travel from Puerto Rico, like the NCL Sky used to. That's why I'm leaving on HAL's Westerdam for a seven day cruise to Half Moon Caye, Aruba and Curacao in a couple of weeks. NCL's itineraries are just becoming rather boring.:( I do hope NCL corporate reads these boards!:eek:

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like southern route is the way to go, as we probably won't make it to South America. According to NCL's website, they still do the 9 day cruise from Miami mentioned in the last post, will be on the Dawn next year.

Karen327,

NCL used to offer an exotic 9 night southern itinerary that included Barbados, St. Kitts, Dominica, St. Lucia, Tortola, and Antigua. Absolutely fantastic.:D It would leave Miami on a Friday afternoon, and return on the following Sunday, nine days later. The same ship would them make a five day Western Caribbean swing, so you could do a 14 day BTB. For whatever reason, NCL has discontinued those itineraries.:confused: So what you're left with is the basic, Samana, Tortola, Antigua and St. Lucia seven day itinerary, which other than Samana, is pretty good. NCL doesn't seem to travel to the more exotic ports, such as Aruba, Curacao or Grenada anymore. Probably a budget issue. They also, at least as far as I can tell, no longer travel from Puerto Rico, like the NCL Sky used to. That's why I'm leaving on HAL's Westerdam for a seven day cruise to Half Moon Caye, Aruba and Curacao in a couple of weeks. NCL's itineraries are just becoming rather boring.:( I do hope NCL corporate reads these boards!:eek:

They do still offer it. It is almost sold out for the November 1, 2009 cruise. It's called Circle the Caribbean. New York to Miami. 9 days. Dawn. Only St. Kitts isn't on there. The rest are. We were booked and changed to the last sailing of the Majesty to Bermuda. If you book it, if you can, you will meet some wonderful people going...like Terry.:)

We did our first cruise recently, NCL western Carribean and loved it. Would like to go again, and if we can't get enough time off to do south america, we are debating between eastern and southern carribean as another choice. Can anyone tell me how they may differ and how they may compare to western Carribean? We loved island tours, hiking in the jungle, seeing the ruins, seeing a different culture, snorkeling, etc. We aren't big lay on the beach or shopping people. Which one would you recommend?

The western is better for snorkeling and seeing things like the ruins, the eastern is better for shopping and the southern offer the biggest port variety..

Nita

Karen327,

Hi, we're doing a fabulous repo from NYC back to Miami 14 days 10-30-09, it includes: Samana, Tortola/Roadtown (BVI), St. Kitts, Curaco, Aruba, Roatan Isl. (Houndouras) Belize....wish they would do more like this..fab Islands....But we have to fly back to NJ from Miami...I'm sure it will be worth it!

The other one is October 30, around the caribbean. From NYC 14 nites all Southern Ports..back to Miami..all but super big suites are sold out. Went up several hundred $$ from when we booked. Glad we booked when we did. $400 OB Credit! and have never hit those Islands in all different cruises....

Our first southern cruise was last November, it was wonderful. More laid back than the eastern. We loved St. Lucia. We are still hoping to do another southern in the future. It seems like they are bringing St. Kitts back though, rather than St. Lucia. They discontinued St. Kitts for several years from what I understand based on crime stats.

I am going to miss seeing Dominica and Curacao. Aruba, I could take or leave, based on what I've read.

Maybe I need to go purchase a lottery ticket, just in case we could do it all!:) So little time.

Archived