travel insurance

deeolasingh

I have never used CSA personally, but have heard great things about it.

Insurance is a personal decision.

Only the individual can decide if they can afford to lose the entire cost of the cruise or transportation fees in the case of a medical evac and medical care in a foreign port. These are the three major expenses that one must consider.

We recently purchased insurance through insuremytrip.com for a trip later this year.

This is our first time trying them, so can't tell you anything about them than they were helpful when trying to figure out what we needed, e-mailed us promptly, paperwork arrived at home quickly, and everything has been smooth so far.

Keeping our fingers crossed that we won't need to use the insurance, but if we do, hoping that we have more good service from them.

When the online insurance companies ask you for the total cost of our trip, what do you include? The first time I just put the cost of the cruise, and the insurance was really reasonable, but then when i put in the flight and the excursions it got a little high. Anyone know?

Jayne

We've used a company called Berkley that our TA uses. We had to use it last year to cancel one cabin due to a medical issue and they refunded us faster than Carnival did. We were two weeks away from the trip so we were at 50 percent refund from Carnival rest from them. Have not ever had (and hope never to need) to use travel insurance for any injuries, etc so you may get response here from some who has. One thing this year though is this company required us to pay for the travel insurance with the booking for any pre-existing conditions. My husband is a type 2 diabetic.

has a menu of what one might need for travel.. I booked an all medical for 365 days..cruzing and abroad. It covers re-pat of ashes, body or self home..life flight to a hosp. it is an American Express company I think..Gold plan..you may use it as often as needed..but only up to 70 days for one incident...but it will resume after that one..$199..you must have primary insurance for medical as well tho. With 10 trips/cruzes/and Spain, I thought it provident to get it

When the online insurance companies ask you for the total cost of our trip, what do you include? The first time I just put the cost of the cruise, and the insurance was really reasonable, but then when i put in the flight and the excursions it got a little high. Anyone know?

Jayne

We included the cruise fares, a rough guess of airline costs, and rough guess for hotel. I don't think we included costs for excursions since we probably won't book those until a lot closer to the date of cruise or until we are on the ship. If we had some big ticket, non-refundable excursions in mind, then we probably would have tried to include them in the insurance policy.

I'm more worried about being out the big bucks - emergency medical services, medical air trasportation, cruise fare, airline tickets, and to a lesser extent hotel, and almost not at all worried about excursion costs.

Our insurance coverage is higher than what we got if we'd go through the cruiseline, and the cost was slightly less..

I bough trip insurance from Access America and unfortunately we had to use it in Feb for trip interruption due to a death in the family. We were in Aruba and called Access American, they said all the calls would be collect but when i called the operator said they were not accepting collect calls.

When I got home and filed my claim and sent the death certificate, my claim was denied because they they don't cover death from mental or nervouse disorders, such as depression,anxiety, schizophrenia. My father in law died from Alzheimers, which is not a mental disorder. I am still fighting over this. I would not recommend this company

I use insuremytrip.com. I use full travel cost. Air and cruise. Had to use it once on the morning of a cruise (medical) and got every penny back after sending in info filled out by my Doctor. Best $60 or wo I ever spent....

I worry most if something happens onboard the ship or in a port. Air lift/evac is very expensive......

We always get the insurance; I would never consider traveling w/o it. We use Carnival's insurance for our air (even when not going with Carnival air) and cruise. We did get travel insurance when we stayed in London and Rome, but can not remember who the company was.

Jayne

Answer seems so obvious (total cost of what might potentially be reimbursed), I must be missing something. Of course, every policy has exclusions. Beware "refund up to" clauses.

Have you ever purchase travel insurance if so what company did you go with?

I always buy it....I simply won't risk losing my money if something should occur and either I can't go or have to get off and fly home from a port.

Which one depends upon my travel plans.

Here's a really good website.......

www.insuremytrip.com

I would appreciate the do's and don'ts of buying insurance. What to get and what not to get. Does it matetr if 2 weeks has passed since buying our cruise?

The agent we booked our cruise with said we needed to buy insurance the day of the last payment. The cruise line's page (customize cruise info) said 10 days after last payment. I saw an insurance page (insuremytrip, I think) that had at least one policy with a limit of 15 days afterwards. We personally have coverage through our health plan, my credit card, and my wife's Am Ex card (she pays extra each month), so seem pretty well covered for health emergencies, so will likely not buy insurance, but each person's situation is different. I note that Princess Care has a "cancel for any reason" section that can cover up to 75% of the cost of the cruise, but as credit for a future cruise. I saw a Travel Guard policy that had "cancel for any reason," paying "up to 75%" of the trip's cost, but the "up to" could have lots of sticking points.

Archived