Key West or GSC?

scteacher31

I am hoping for Key West, as well. I know that no one can predict the future, but I am wanting to know if the Pearl went to GSC the past few weeks. I know that several months ago I read numerous posts about GSC being "replaced" with Key West. I searched the boards but can't seem to find those posts. Would love some recent info, that's all. :)

This time of the year and into spring it is a pretty good bet you will go to GSC. You know, we really enjoyed GSC. It was the end of our cruise and really fun just to relax and enjoy the picnic. It made me feel like I was back in highschool and doing the beach party scene: well the beach party scene during the day, we won't talk about the nightime beach parties. LOL

Nita

ps we do love Key West.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!! Was GSC as crowded as everyone says? I read somewhere that if you turn right (left???) off the ship and cross over the bridge it is not as crowded. Did anyone try it?

We were on the Pearl the week of March 1-8. We stopped at GSC on Saturday the 7th. I too had heard the bad comments on GSC and I really didn't know what to expect. I loved it. We had 80's, a bright blue sky with white fluffy clouds, sand and palm trees. Looked like Gillian’s island to me.

On this particular day, we got up late, went to the main dinning room for breakfast and caught one of the later tenders over to the island (10:00 or 10:30 perhaps). By this time, most of the beach chairs in the area to the left of the tender landing were full. We went right and found a very nice spot. My wife laid in the sun all day. I spent most of the day snorkeling and my son wandered the island. We all had a great time.

If you are looking for a number of choices for activities you will be disappointed. IF you are looking for a relaxing day on a tropical island, you have hit the jackpot.

The shopping is limited at best. But again, if you can keep yourself entertained by reading a book or playing volleyball or ping pong, you will have a nice day.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!! Was GSC as crowded as everyone says? I read somewhere that if you turn right (left???) off the ship and cross over the bridge it is not as crowded. Did anyone try it?

I did try it, but found I preferred my spot in the crowded section anyway.

When we first got to GSC in the morning, most people were still sleeping in from the night before (lots of Spring Breakers on our cruise) so it was still fairly deserted even in the crowded section. Only one other couple laying out when we arrived. So that's hwere we plopped down. We laid out for a while because it was too cold to swim, then went for a hike to the lighthouse. When we came back, people were starting to arrive, but it was still pretty empty over on the "crowded side".

So we went snorkeling and when we came back, still not many people, so while I felt like we should give up our lounger and head to the other side, my husband pointed out that there were stll hundreds of loungers left, so we left our stuff on our loungers and went off in search of lunch.

Walking towards lunch we came across the crowds...all around the beach bars and volleyball courts. Out where we were, it was starting to get more crowded, but still not bad at all. We ventured over to the "quiet side" with our lunch, to see if we'd want to move over there and discovered that it was quite far from where the snorkeling was, so we didn't bother.

Yes, it got more crowded on the beach, but by then, it was hot enough out that if we laid out, we would get burned, so we mostly stayed in the water. So the crowds never bothered us, because they were all lounging around on party rafts with their beer (nowhere near the snorkeling) or were playing volleyball (nowhere near our lounge chairs).

Oh, we were there on Sunday, MArch 8, by the way (on the Sky).

Archived