3 day in LA with 2 yr old

ppwlee

Hi,

Looking for places to visit in LA with a 2 yr old. We will be cruising to LA from Vancouver in Sept and wanted to spend 3-4 days afterwards before flying back. We would probably visit not more than 1-2 places a day so wanted to maximize the time Vs expense. Still haven't decide whether to stay in LA (heard that santa barbara is more kid friendly to stay) or SanDiego (Zoo, seaworld). Would it be wise to stay in SanDiego then? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Peter

I would choose San Diego over LA any day! The zoo is great, but I've always loved the San Diego Wild Animal Park even more. You might even consider Legoland, though 2 yrs might still be a bit young to really enjoy it. I love Old Town San Diego, especially for the Mexican food and margaritas!

Now I'm really missing San Diego and wish I could go too!

First, as a father of two daughters now 23 and 25 and an avid traveller who took the kids everywhere since they were born, I can tell you that, at 2 years of age, they are generally fairly happy with anywhere you choose to go and will likely not remember much years from now...

Still the same, it's cool to have photos to show them about when they were two and visited Disneyland or the Zoo or Sea World or wherever...and there is a certain joy they get, even at that age, visiting some places...

That said...as a former Santa Barbaran myself, I can tell you that though it may be "kid friendly", it's really not "kid exciting"...Santa Barbara is a very laid back ADULT sort of town--shopping, restaurants, wineries in the nearby Santa Ynez Valley, Solvang, the Mission and beaches--which I guess are okay with the kids...

The most "kid exciting" places are, of course, Disneyland...followed by Sea World, San Diego Wild Animal Park (which, BTW, isn't in San Diego--it's just east of Escondido--a little to the north of San Diego) and the San Diego Zoo...Yes, Legoland--in Carlsbad--also north of San Diego, but on the coast--is a kid attraction as well...BTW, there is also a pretty good Zoo in Griffith Park in LA--near Hollywood and Universal City...and the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific is also a great place for kids...

You MAY want to base yourself in North San Diego County --Carlsbad/Encinitas...or inland at Rancho Bernardo...and use it as a base--Go to Disneyland one day, Sea World another and the Wild Animal Park or Zoo the third...Those are all sort of full days, especially schlepping a 2 year-old along...

OTOH, you may want to consider doing some more adult-oriented activities...Your 2 year old won't mind...If you are disembarking in LA, you might consider saving the added trip down to San Diego...and just stay in the LA area--maybe even in Long Beach--near the pier--or in Anaheim by Disney for a day or two...and split the time, moving to a hotel on the West Side of LA the next two nights...You could take in Disneyland and the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach--also great for kids...Then head up to, say, Santa Monica--where you have the pier, Venice Beach and are closer to more non-kid attractions like Hollywood and Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive and so on...I don't think your 2 year old will really mind if EVERYTHING isn't for them...three or four days of theme parks could wear you out anyway...

Have fun...

I think you're wasting your money with a 2 yo at any of those attractions, except maybe a zoo, if your child has been to zoos before and likes seeing the animals. I'd go to the beach, to a good park, somewhere they don't have to be strapped in a stroller all day, looking mostly at other people's legs. I'm not saying "they don't belong" at any of these attractions, I just think they don't get much out of them at that age, and they are expensive days.

I would choose SD over LA or SB with a two year old. The zoo is great, Sea World is fun & there is also Lego Land which is geared to under 10s. During the summer, a day at the beach is probably better than any amusement park, too!

Disney can be fun, but can be a bit overwhelming for a 2yo.

Hi,

Looking for places to visit in LA with a 2 yr old. We will be cruising to LA from Vancouver in Sept and wanted to spend 3-4 days afterwards before flying back. We would probably visit not more than 1-2 places a day so wanted to maximize the time Vs expense. Still haven't decide whether to stay in LA (heard that santa barbara is more kid friendly to stay) or SanDiego (Zoo, seaworld). Would it be wise to stay in SanDiego then? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Peter

Since you will have a 2 year old, and not only do I currently have a 1 1/2 year old nephew and a 3 year old nephew in LA (not to mention that I was once a 2 year old in LA), I'm giving my two cents according to that.

You're ending in LA, I just think one more trip all around down to San Diego and around there after the cruise and debarking there is a lot.

Also as has been mentioned:

I can tell you that, at 2 years of age, they are generally fairly happy with anywhere you choose to go and will likely not remember much years from now...

...I don't think your 2 year old will really mind if EVERYTHING isn't for them...three or four days of theme parks could wear you out anyway...

I think you're wasting your money with a 2 yo at any of those attractions, except maybe a zoo, if your child has been to zoos before and likes seeing the animals. I'd go to the beach, to a good park, somewhere they don't have to be strapped in a stroller all day, looking mostly at other people's legs. I'm not saying "they don't belong" at any of these attractions, I just think they don't get much out of them at that age, and they are expensive days.

I basically agree with these sentiments because...

In my personal experience with 2 year olds lately, it's really nice to have a nice calm home base - and then lots of quicker activities to go to and from at your leisure.

If you go to Disneyland, or Sea World, or the San Diego Zoo for specific examples - it's really a long long day.

And in the case of a few of those, you can just be stuck in the parks with no fast or easy way out!

So that being said, my advice would be:

Stay in a nice family friendly hotel in LA, probably near the beach as that will be great time in September for that.

I'll give some great hotel options after this, but for now - here's great 2 Year old (and adult) activities all nearby, and easy to stay as long as you want, or cut out early back to relax at the hotel.

#1 Winnick Family Children's Zoo (inside the LA Zoo)

http://www.lazoo.org/visit/shows_activities.html

as well as the Kids Corner and the Play Park are 2 year old paradise!

#2 Santa Monica Pier

http://www.santamonicapier.org/

Lots of sights and activities in a small manageable area for little kids.

My nephews love the little kids coin operated rides, as well as the historical Carousel.

and also right there is

#3 Ocean Discovery Center/Pier Aquarium

http://www.healthebay.org/smpa/exhibits/default.asp

Such an incredible little place for small kids. Perfect size for them, and so many interactive things.

#4 California Science Center

http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/

and right nearby

#5 Natural History Museum

http://www.nhm.org/

I loved this as a little kid, and my nephews love them now.

So many different exciting things for that age, interactive, visual, touching, etc.

And pretty interesting for the adults as well.

#6 Bob Baker Marionette Theater

http://www.bobbakermarionettes.com/

The true, the original, and an incredible experience for kids of that age!

#7 El Capitan Theater

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/el_capitan/

Go see the newest Disney movie, in an incredible theater - and watch the live Disney performances before the shows. Call for your tickets early though, this is such great fun for kids, it's often sold out.

If you want to before and after, stroll next door to the Disney Soda Fountain and Disney Store.

http://disney.go.com/DisneyPictures/el_capitan/soda_fountain/main.html

This way you get a nice little Disney experience, without the huge trouble and expense of the big park - and the perfect size for the little ones.

All of these are great, in my recent experience, because they are the prefect size and interest level for that age group.

Not too big, not too small, just right in being perfectly manageable.

And, if you are just tired or "done", so easy to just leave and have a nice nap or hangout at your hotel.

The rest of those parks can be exhausting, huge, overwhelming, and with all the money and effort just to get in there - just not worth it if you need or want to leave early for any reason with the little ones.

Hotel suggestions coming up next...

Some great hotel options for little ones:

#1 Jamaica Bay Inn

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679886

or next door

#2 Foghorn Inn

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=13581085

Both are located in Marina Del Ray. Mother's Beach is right out front your balcony. It's called Mother's Beach, because it's not facing the ocean directly - so it's very calm and perfect for kids. (check the picture attachment)

A lot of LA kids (myself included) have their first ocean swimming encounters there.

There are even some kid playhouses and such in one area for them to play on and climb on...

If you want a bigger beach with more activity, then you are very close to Venice Beach or like I mentioned above the Santa Monica Pier and the beach there.

Lots of restaurants nearby, and very convenient and easy to get and from the activities mentioned above.

There are also nice parks nearby in Marnia Del Ray (Chase Park), as well as nice strolling (and ducks!) along the Venice Canals.

#3 Cal Mar Suites

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=423818

Good hotel with kids in Santa Monica, as it's very calm and quiet there. A quaint little neighborhood and very family friendly.

Tons of restaurants and the Third Street Promenade (as well as the pier) are nearby.

See if any of those sound good, as I'm trying to think of hotels that are specifically geared for your particular situation...

If you like this direction, then let me know - and I'll help with more specifics.

So there is my more than two cents (it's my five cents!)

:cool:

mothersbeach.jpg.fac5251caa2bff26370b25943c649cea.jpg

Actually, I would slightly disagree. Yes, some of these attractions are quite a bit of money, but that would be more for the adult tickets. Check out discount possibilities such as using the Auto Club discounts if you're a member. Select a few places to go so you won't get worn out (your toddler can nap in the stroller or the car seat, but you can't;)).

Child experts will tell you that any experiences are great brain stimultators for little kids. And they will see the endless photos you've taken and smile that they got to go to DL, Sea World or wherever. Unless you're good at Photoshop, that is.

If you come out all the way to the west coast and just hang out in one spot, they'll be grilling you a few years later about why you didn't take them someplace fun.

One thing to be aware of is that most Septembers, we tend to have warm weather. In some places, the tempertures may get over 90 or 100 degrees. So have some back up plans.

Agree that 90+ weather that is common in September. A good backup plan is anything near the beach. It can be roasting 5 miles inland but will be 70 degrees along the immediate coast.

FYI, there is a new aquarium adjacent to Legoland in Carlsbad. I haven't been there yet but my neighbor went and their toddlers enjoyed it. They did say it's pricey! If I did want to take a 2yo to an amusement park I would recommend Legoland over Disneyland. It's smaller and less overwhelming to kids and their parents! :rolleyes:

Two other underpublicized aquariums are at the Marine Institute in Dana Point and Scripps in La Jolla.

(I'm not fixated on aquariums, there are a lot of them in the area and kids are always fascinated by them).

Some great hotel options for little ones:

#1 Jamaica Bay Inn

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679886

or next door

#2 Foghorn Inn

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=13581085

Both are located in Marina Del Ray. Mother's Beach is right out front your balcony. It's called Mother's Beach, because it's not facing the ocean directly - so it's very calm and perfect for kids. (check the picture attachment)

A lot of LA kids (myself included) have their first ocean swimming encounters there.

There are even some kid playhouses and such in one area for them to play on and climb on...

If you want a bigger beach with more activity, then you are very close to Venice Beach or like I mentioned above the Santa Monica Pier and the beach there.

Lots of restaurants nearby, and very convenient and easy to get and from the activities mentioned above.

There are also nice parks nearby in Marnia Del Ray (Chase Park), as well as nice strolling (and ducks!) along the Venice Canals.

#3 Cal Mar Suites

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=423818

Good hotel with kids in Santa Monica, as it's very calm and quiet there. A quaint little neighborhood and very family friendly.

Tons of restaurants and the Third Street Promenade (as well as the pier) are nearby.

See if any of those sound good, as I'm trying to think of hotels that are specifically geared for your particular situation...

If you like this direction, then let me know - and I'll help with more specifics.

So there is my more than two cents (it's my five cents!)

:cool:

First of all, I am so delighted and surprised about the amount of help and good comments coming out of this forum. Hats off to everyone especially to Curt Jerome Wild. Most of you nailed the fact that a 2 yr old will most likely be overwhelmed by all the major theme parks in LA/ SD and it's especially true for my kid. We have already decided to skip disneyland this time and leave it when she becomes older.

However, I am still undecided about SD zoo and seaworld..etc but seeing the list of smaller zoo/attractions listed by Curt I am having second thought about now wanting to base in LA rather and make those multiple "quick" 1-2 hr trips daily and go back to the hotel. Originally I was thinking about basing in SD and even we don't end up visiting a lot of the major attractions we may still enjoy the city and the coast and doing those quick trips. If this is my preference would staying in LA (santa monica) still make more sense than SD or vice versa?

I am very interested in the hotels that were recommended above, but also wanted to check into the usual list "available" under Price line,

4 Star

Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel

Viceroy

3.5 Star

Marriott Marina del Rey

Sheraton Delfina Santa Monica

3 Star

The Huntley Hotel (formerly Radisson Huntley)

Doubletree Guest Suites Santa Monica

Holiday Inn Santa Monica Beach at the Pier

Courtyard by Marriott Marina del Rey

Would you recommend any of the above? I do realize there's risk involved in bidding Priceline hotel since I don't necessary get what I want.

Thanks very much for the advise!!

Peter

Hello,

I have two children who are grown but we did a lot of traveling when they were little. Very quickly, both became real travel pros, that is, no crying or whining. As i live in Southern California, here are some ideas for you...

A slow drive from Los Angeles down to San Diego. Spend one day/night in Del Mar which has one of the nicest, kid friendly beaches in this part of the world. Then onto San Diego to see the San Diego Zoo and the USS Midway (you get to see an aircraft carrier and the two year old gets to climb in and out of airplanes.

Back up to Los Angeles and spend the day at Travel Town in Griffith Park. You get to see the trains and the 2 year old gets to climb in and out of old steam engines.

And whatever hotels/motels you do choose,make sure that it has a swimming pool. This is the secret...promise them a swim at the end of the day and the behavior becomes super.

Fred

Hi,

These are the ones I am considering bidding in Priceline in the Santa Monica/ Marine Del Rey zone:

3.5* Marriott Marina Del Rey

3.5* Sheraton Delfina

3* Courtyard Marina Del Rey

3* Doubletree Guest Suites

3* Holiday Inn Santa Monica

Is there any one in the list that you would or would not recommend given my circumstance (with 2yr old kid, likely spend a lot of time in the neighbourhood rather than driving)

Thanks.

Pete

If this is my preference would staying in LA (santa monica) still make more sense than SD or vice versa?

In my personal opinion, absolutely yes!

I am very interested in the hotels that were recommended above, but also wanted to check into the usual list "available" under Price line,

4 Star

Viceroy

3.5 Star

Marriott Marina del Rey

3 Star

Would you recommend any of the above? I do realize there's risk involved in bidding Priceline hotel since I don't necessary get what I want.

These are the ones I am considering bidding in Priceline in the Santa Monica/ Marine Del Rey zone:

3.5* Marriott Marina Del Rey

3.5* Sheraton Delfina

3* Courtyard Marina Del Rey

3* Doubletree Guest Suites

3* Holiday Inn Santa Monica

Is there any one in the list that you would or would not recommend given my circumstance (with 2yr old kid, likely spend a lot of time in the neighbourhood rather than driving)

Peter, first of all - for general info, check out this thread/link here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=821216

I've done a whole breakdown and map of the Priceline options in Los Angeles.

All of the hotels you mention above are decent hotels, and will be serviceable for you...

Some though are much better than others for you, as some are beautiful hotels, but nothing but huge streets and not good walking or strolling with 2 year olds.

I'll give you a general critique of each based on your needs specifically after this...

This is a beautiful hotel, and close to the main big Santa Monica Beach and Pier. If you can get it, it's good.

Viceroy

Same basic as Loews.

Marriott Marina del Rey

This is across the street from the two hotels that I've mentioned as great for your daughter before. Also a nice hotel, and lots to stroll in the area. But Mother's Beach is not right out front the door like at Jamaica Bay or Foghorn. You'd have to get in the stroller or car, and walk across the street then through the parking lots to get there.

This is not great location for you, as there are only lots of apartments, condos and the high school around there. East of it (walking distance) is a bit of a slightly seedy mini-mall, West is 5 blocks to the beach.

I love this hotel. It should be 3.5 stars though, at least! But this one is in the more nice, quiet neighborhood as the other hotel I recommended - Cal Mar Suites. So this has nice strolling around the neighborhood, and close to Third Street Promenade.

Nice for business people, but not great for strolling. Literally right next to the freeway. Kind of Business Park-like around there.

Fairly decent, but not my favorite. Construction all around it. And also right on the freeway.

I normally don't recommend this one to people in general, but they're generally not in your situation. For you, this could be okay. It's in kind of a Marina Del Ray Shopping area. And it's a nice hotel. So, there is a lot of shops, stores, a few restaurants all right around the hotel.

Not near the beach or anything in walking distance though. You'd really have to jump in the car for any sightseeing.

And that's kind of why this particular Zone in Priceline is tricky. If you are a business person, or a couple with a car who don't mind continually hopping in the car and driving - then it doesn't matter which of these options you end up with, as they all fit the bill for those people.

For people like you, or cruisers who are looking for hotels with nice walking areas around, you might not get that in this Zone on Priceline.

Look around at the info there, feel free to ask any questions about more things. I know all of these hotels very well, so I can let you know.

If I was personally choosing a hotel for you though, that would be perfect for your entire family and you'd be really happy with...

It's unquestionably Jamaica Bay Inn, as first choice.

Perfect Beach for a 2 year old right outside your window, nice little pool area, several good restaurants in close walking distance. Beautiful area for strolling with a 2 year old (Boats! Ducks! Canals! Parks!)

There's more of my two cents for now, I think you have a lot of options to make this a really nice exciting, but very pleasant trip for both your 2 year old daughter and yourself!

Feel free to ask more questions (but I'm not on the computer on the weekends usually, so not here from about Friday afternoon to Monday).

;)

I would suggest staying in one of the hotels in Long Beach and taking your 2 year old to Mother's Beach in Long Beach (just off 2nd street) or the beach at Seal Beach. There is a pier there, and there's a children's play area on one

side of it. You could rent an electric boat at Seaport Village in Long Beach, bring a picnic lunch, and cruise around the canals of Naples for a couple of hours. Contact Bay Boat Rentals, 186 N Marina Dr, Long Beach, Phone (562) 598-2628‎. Reservations are needed. You could also walk on Second Street in Belmont Shore at night. (Easier if you have a stroller!) You could also do a coastal drive down PCH to Laguna and walk on the Boardwalk along the ocean and stop in some shops there.

Hello,

After further reseach, followings are more hotels and locations I am considering bidding in Priceline (besides the Santa Monica and Marina Del Rey),

Long Beach

4* Reniassance

3.5* Hilton

3.5* Hyatt Regency Long Beach (previously 3*)

3.5* Westin

3* Coast Hotel

3* Courtyard by Marriott

Los Angeles (Redondo - Manhattan Beaches)

3.5* Belamar

3.5* Crowne Plaza

3.5* Marriott Manhattan Beach

3* Residence Inn Manhattan Beach

Any feedback on the above hotels would be appreciated. Thanks.

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza at Redondo Beach and that is a great family location. It is directly across from a lagoon style swimming pool and the lively pier area. Good choice all around I would say.

On the other hand, I think you should go to San Diego. I have done all of Southern California several times with young children as a tourist and I would say for a two year old, if you do want one major outing, you should go with Legoland. Much better for the little ones than the zoo or Seaworld or even Disneyland (although you would love Disneyland of course).

Also in San Diego you could just spend the day at Balboa park. If you go into the science museum at Balboa park they have excellent facilities for young children and you get out of the sun for awhile.

Have fun.

Hello,

After further reseach, followings are more hotels and locations I am considering bidding in Priceline (besides the Santa Monica and Marina Del Rey),

Long Beach

4* Reniassance

3.5* Hilton

3.5* Hyatt Regency Long Beach (previously 3*)

3.5* Westin

3* Coast Hotel

3* Courtyard by Marriott

Los Angeles (Redondo - Manhattan Beaches)

3.5* Belamar

3.5* Crowne Plaza

3.5* Marriott Manhattan Beach

3* Residence Inn Manhattan Beach

Any feedback on the above hotels would be appreciated. Thanks.

As a life long Los Angeles area resident I can't say a bad thing about our neighbor San Diego There's a lot to do but the thing that makes it great is for the most part everything is real close in comparision to Los Angeles. The short amount of time it takes getting from the beach to say Balboa Park or pretty much anywhere you want is nothing compared to going from the beach in LA or OC and getting to say Griffith Park...yikes! I was just in SD 2 weeks ago for a guys brewery crawl weekend and the ability to get from Pizza Port to Lost Abbey or Green Flash was great even if we were in a limo!;)

However, I digress, a place no one has mentioned which I believe is great for a 2 year old is Knott's Berry Farm. Camp Snoopy inside the park is specifically built for the little ones and just walking around the park is fun with it's old west theme. Hopefully you're coming later in September since you'll miss most of the summer traffic if you are. A couple of years ago we spoke with some people from Washington who actually stayed at the Raddison at Knott's and used that as their base to get to SD and other area attractions since it was sort of central and cheaper than staying a Disney hotel. One last thing, if you do come after Labor Day, I wouldn't miss Disneyland as they say that's one of the best times to go there since most everyone is back at school and it's supposedly a very less crowded time to go and that park works for kids of all ages! I was also just there last Friday and I still love it, even at 46 and we've been taking our kids there since they were babies, heck at 2 they were well seasoned DLander's!

However, I digress, a place no one has mentioned which I believe is great for a 2 year old is Knott's Berry Farm. Camp Snoopy inside the park is specifically built for the little ones and just walking around the park is fun with it's old west theme.

I thought about it before, but since you mention it again, Camp Snoopy is great!

http://www.knotts.com/park/tour/csnoopy/index.shtml

Good call!

Archived