Currency use in Ireland

NKG6002

Can American dollars be used in Dublin and Cobh ? Thanks in advance ! :)

They use Euros in Ireland.

It was rare to see a shop or restaurant accepting $$. There are currency exchange spots in the cities.

http://dublin.sashaguides.com/currency.html

I found out that you can exchange currency on board the ship in addition to the airports.

They use Euros in Ireland.

It was rare to see a shop or restaurant accepting $$. There are currency exchange spots in the cities.

http://dublin.sashaguides.com/currency.html

I found out that you can exchange currency on board the ship in addition to the airports.

Agreed ... Euro's are the legal tender there. You might be able to get away with using a few Quid (British Pounds), or some of the smaller currencies (SEK, NEK, IEK, CHF), but still would involve a conversion over to the Euros. A recommendation would be to convert a small amount of bills ($50 worth or less) into Euros prior to leaving, use your Credit Card or ATM for any major purchase and just have some fun.

Michael

....but remember that if you're on the Round Britain cruise, Belfast uses Sterling (British pounds). In Invergordon (Scotland), there's a lovely gift shop near the dock with a big sign in the window: "Dollars and Euros accepted here." I was reading it aloud, when a super American lady whispered to me "Actually, they'll take the British pound here too!" It's just so confusing doing a trip like that! -jocap.

The store I worked at in Dublin took British Pounds, but not American dollars. However, most of the places I patronized in Dublin did not accept pounds and didn't even much appreciate it when I asked.

I could occasionally find someone that would take dollars when I was really strapped, change places weren't open, and they got the very healthy benefit of the bargain exchange-rate wise.

I gave my grand daughter Euros for Christmas to use in Ireland this week.

If you watch the Today Show tomorrow (Tuesday 3/17) the Riverview Kiltie Band is marching in the St Patrick's Day parade in Dublin.

The Kiltie Band is a local high school band and they all wear kilts and some play bagpipes. It was a great honor for them to participate. My grand daughter plays the clarinet.:D

While in County Clare near the Burren a few years ago my friend and I ran out of Euros. We started looking for an ATM (driving) but couldn't find one. We started asking (the people are sooooooooooooooo nice!) folks.

Are ye on Hollidays? they'd often ask as soon as we uttered our first sentence.

We couldn't make anybody understand our question! It would have been really funny if we'd had enough cash to even SPLIT a Guiness.

Well, apparently we were so far out in the country that the "Hole in the Wall," honest, THAT'S what they called the ATM comes in a van on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.

Whatever you do don't ask where the ATM is... Nobody will tell you.

Have a great time.

Remember, Guiness is food.

Clare

Can American dollars be used in Dublin and Cobh ? Thanks in advance ! :)

If you're going to use a credit card at all, check with your bank on the conversion fee. I was in Dublin last year and my bank charged 3% on every transaction. A handful of stores offered to make the charge in US dollars, which spared that charge. Keep your receipts and be sure to fill out the VAT rebate forms before you leave the country so that you can get the tax refunded.

On a recent trip to Ireland we brought very few $$ with us and just hit an ATM as soon as we got there. In Dublin they are very easy to access. Otherwise, credit cards are taken just about everywhere. We let our bank know ahead of time so our foreign transactions would not raise a red flag.

Only euro's accepted most places.

If somewhere takes dollars turn around as you about to walk into a shop with very high tourist prices.

As maggiecatenjay noted the term ATM isn't used that much over here. Cash machine or hole-in-the-wall is far more common.

Archived