ST. John Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel

lovejone

St. John Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel

STT-E.jpg Visit Virgin Islands National Park on a snorkel expedition along Trunk Bay's underwater trail.

Board a comfortable tour boat for the 45-minute narrated ride to St. John. Meet your driver upon arrival and board an open-air safari bus for the ride to Trunk Bay in Virgin Islands National Park, the southernmost National Park in the United States. After a short orientation and a lesson if needed, set out on the famous underwater snorkel trail. Markers describe the many species of fish and corals that make Trunk Bay their home. You have over an hour to snorkel, swim, or relax on the fantastic beach. The U.S. Park Service maintains restrooms, showers, and a snack bar for your convenience. Snorkeling equipment, including snorkel vest, instruction and supervision by U.S. Park Service lifeguards, and transportation are included. 4.5 Hrs, 84$

SPECIAL NOTES

Snorkeling is subject to weather and sea conditions.

I would like to know if this is do-able on my own... How much would be the ferry, the taxi and the price to get in Trunk bay Beach? Would I have enough time?

Much less expensive and just as easy to do on your own! You'll just need to bring your own snorkel equipment. There is no admission fee to Trunk Bay since it is a National Park. Trunk is beautiful and a must-see if you have previously been to St. Thomas! More details can be found on this thread :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=849041&highlight=

We went over to Trunk Bay on our own on our recent Serenade cruise. You have a lot more time if you go yourself because we have seen the excursions arriving and leaving while we have been there. This is what we did -

Taxi from port to Ferry at Red Hook on St. Thomas - approx 20 minute drive - $10/person

Ferry from Red Hook to St. John - $6/person; one-way - leaves every hour on the hour - 15 to 20 minute ride - we took the 9:00 am ferry.

Safari (open air truck) taxi from ferry dock to Trunk Bay - approx 15 minutes drive - $6/person

Admission to Trunk Bay - $4/adult (kids are free)

Chairs - $7 each (we didn't rent umbrellas because there is a line of trees which provide plenty of shade)

WARNING - the return ferries from St. John back to St. Thomas are supposed to leave on the hour but are always running 20-30 minutes late. There may also be traffic on St. Thomas getting back to the port. Our taxi driver told us it can take up to 90 minutes when there are a lot of ships in port. So make sure you leave enough time to get back to the ship!

It is TOTALLY worth the time and effort to get over there. It is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen.

Much less expensive and just as easy to do on your own! You'll just need to bring your own snorkel equipment. There is no admission fee to Trunk Bay since it is a National Park. Trunk is beautiful and a must-see if you have previously been to St. Thomas! More details can be found on this thread :

Thanks so much for posting that link... Sounds great! I think that's what will do! ;) For the open air taxi, silly question, but how do you spot them if they don't have that taxi sign on their roof? Do they pass often? Is there any little food place on the beach?

The open air "buses" to Red Hook are difficult to spot. A nice local woman helped flag one down for us. I'd recommend taking a taxi from the pier to Red Hook as they are plentiful and easier to locate. There is a snack bar at Trunk Bay that sells sodas, hot dogs, burgers, fries, etc. at very reasonable prices. A can of Coke was $1.25, I seem to remember. My kids snacked on an order of fries (really good and fresh) for $1.95.

I mis-spoke earlier about the admission fee to Trunk. There is a $4 per adult fee but it was waived for us because the beach was closed due to rain when we arrived. It stopped raining a few minutes later and the lifeguards cleared the beach for swimming. A lucky break for us!

Is there anywhere on Trunk Bay to get beer or cocktails? I see there is a snack bar, but am not sure there are alcoholic drinks offered since it is a national park. If no drinks are offered, can you bring your own?

Trunk Bay prices: Snorkel/Mask/Fins: $5 plus $25 deposit, all day (hours 9-3). Chairs $7 to rent ($25 deposit) for day (9-3). No umbrellas.

You can get beer at Trunk Bay and maybe Rum Punch but I don't think they have a full bar.

The booth that rents the snorkel gear has vests. Taxi rates are set and taxi driver's are supposed to follow them, its $10 from Havensight to Red Hook.

--Islander

Yes the search function is working . . .

. . . today.

Oh no, has it been down again? I haven't had a single problem with it since the last round of "fixes". Guess I've just been lucky. Nuts.

My biggest internal debate about my cruise next month has been whether to do St John on our own or do the Princess full-day excursion ($500 for the family). The Princess full-day with lunch obviously has its draws including a couple hours of beach time, lunch, and includes alcohol. It's convenient and worry free and includes a snorkel tour. There are no cabs to ferries to cabs and back again. But it's a lot of money and a lot of time on catamaran. I am now thinking that I'd rather be on a nice ferry ride. The Princess excursion also is not cheap. I have booked but will probably back out and do this one on our own and head to Trunk Bay from either Charlotte Amalie or Red Hook Hook depending on what time the ship is ready to let us off.

There is no admission fee if you arrive before the park opens (9:00 I think) otherwise it's $4 per adult. I was not impressed with the snorkeling when I was there in December. I swam around the island in the bay two times and did not see a while lot.

Here's what it cost for the two of us: $20 for cab from Havensight to Red Hook Ferry, $6.10 pp for ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay, $6 pp for taxi to and from Trunk Bay and Cruz Bay, $11.10 pp for ferry from Cruz Bay to Crown Bay, $5 for taxi from Crown Bay to Havensight. $88.40 for two.

How much do you tip each of the operators? Such as the bus, taxi, ferry, etc.?

We are actually taking the tour through Princess. Never been there before, so too nervous to do it on our own.

Thanks!

We tipped the first cab driver $3, second - fourth $2. There really was no one to tip on the ferry, we didn't take a bus, and rarely tip bus drivers unless they act as tour guides as well.

We took the local bus & instead of paying $10.00 per person for the taxi, we paid $2.00 per person. (Makes a HUGE difference if you are with 4 or more people!!) It really is not hard to find the buses. Walk to the Wendy's & stand there. Just ask one of the locals, they were all pleased to help!!

We thoroughly enjoyed riding in the open air "safari buses" & if you have teenagers, they will LOVE it!!

Hoping someone can answer this without me having to start a new thread.

I'm new to snorkling. I know there's a snorking "trail" at Trunk Bay. Does anyone know if there are "rest stops" along the way. I would really like to do this but I'm afraid I'll panic if I get tired and can't take a break somewhere. My hubby will be right with me the entire time, but I don't want to hold him back too much.

I sailed in to St Thomas and did the ship Trunk Bay excursion some years ago on Carnival. This summer my wife and I and our two children (14 and 17) will be in St Thomas on RCCL. I would love to take them to Trunk Bay and definitely would like to do it cheaper than throught the cruise line so I have a couple of questions.....

Is is safe to take the family on the $2 bus to Red Hook and back traveling by ourselves?

What if anything is the "downside" of doing Trunk Bay on our own? The posts in this thread make it seem so easy and economical......

Thanks in advance for any help!

I sailed in to St Thomas and did the ship Trunk Bay excursion some years ago on Carnival. This summer my wife and I and our two children (14 and 17) will be in St Thomas on RCCL. I would love to take them to Trunk Bay and definitely would like to do it cheaper than throught the cruise line so I have a couple of questions.....

Is is safe to take the family on the $2 bus to Red Hook and back traveling by ourselves?

What if anything is the "downside" of doing Trunk Bay on our own? The posts in this thread make it seem so easy and economical......

Thanks in advance for any help!

You will be perfectly safe taking the bus to Red Hook with your family. The kids will love the ride.

The "downside" of doing Trunk Bay on your own is you are on your own. No one is planning your day or accommodations.

It's easy to do, take the bus to Red Hook ferry, Red Hook ferry to Cruz Bay (20 minute delightful ride on ferry). Taxi is right there once you get off ferry. About a 2 mile ride to Trunk Bay (15 minutes) There is a snack bar, showers, rental of chairs, snorkel quipment, small gift shop. When you are ready to leave, taxi are waiting to take you back to Cruz Bay. Very cute town with small shops right at the ferry. Allow plenty of time to return back to ship. Traffic can be heavy once you get back to St Thomas.

Check this site for ferry schedule vinow dot com

Have a great time, it's worth the effort. St John is a beautiful island:D

You will be perfectly safe taking the bus to Red Hook with your family. The kids will love the ride.

The "downside" of doing Trunk Bay on your own is you are on your own. No one is planning your day or accommodations.

It's easy to do, take the bus to Red Hook ferry, Red Hook ferry to Cruz Bay (20 minute delightful ride on ferry). Taxi is right there once you get off ferry. About a 2 mile ride to Trunk Bay (15 minutes) There is a snack bar, showers, rental of chairs, snorkel quipment, small gift shop. When you are ready to leave, taxi are waiting to take you back to Cruz Bay. Very cute town with small shops right at the ferry. Allow plenty of time to return back to ship. Traffic can be heavy once you get back to St Thomas.

Check this site for ferry schedule vinow dot com

Have a great time, it's worth the effort. St John is a beautiful island:D

You're a great help! Thanks so much!

Archived