Edinburgh question?

We will be in Edinburgh on July 14, and my husband is just crazy to be so close to St. Andrews and not see it (we are from the States, and have never been to Britannia before.) My 13yo son and I will just do our own tour of the city, but does anyone have any suggestions for a private guide or day tour from Edinburgh to St. Andrews? What he really dreams of is playing a course, but if that can't be arranged, even a tour to the town would be better than nothing. Thanks for any help--I am hoping I can make his dream come true!!!

Carole (stateparent)

We will be in Edinburgh on July 14, and my husband is just crazy to be so close to St. Andrews and not see it (we are from the States, and have never been to Britannia before.) My 13yo son and I will just do our own tour of the city, but does anyone have any suggestions for a private guide or day tour from Edinburgh to St. Andrews? What he really dreams of is playing a course, but if that can't be arranged, even a tour to the town would be better than nothing. Thanks for any help--I am hoping I can make his dream come true!!!

Carole (stateparent)

I cannot help with tours etc when you visit BRITAIN (not Britannia!) but I know a little bit about playing golf in St Andrews.

Edinburgh itself is a fantastic city to visit and and has more than enough to keep you busy for a day.

You can take a direct train from Edinburgh to Leuchars (1 hour journey time) and from there, taxis are plentiful to take you to St Andrews (about 6 or 7 miles).

There are about 7 courses in St Andrews. The biggest problem for your husband would be getting a time spot to play the Old Course. If you book this in advance , you must book the Old Course and one other (the New, Jubilee, Eden etc). As these bookings are made a year in advance, it is probably too late for this year.

The other option is to enter the ballot the day before and taking a chance on being allocated a time. Also you can just turn up, and, if for example there is a threesome on the tee, the Starter will ask them if they will allow a fourth player to join them.

If he is not too bothered about playing the Old Course, playing one of the others should be easier (but advance booking is still recommended).

St Andrews is a very nice town apart from the golf. It has a very interesting (partly) ruined castle and cathedral.

There is a restaurant called the Doll's House which is a favourite of ours.

Thank you for your response!! It definitely sounds do-able.

Do you know if the train runs throughout the day, or a limited schedule? That would probably be his best option, taking the earliest train, and hoping he might get lucky and find a threesome at the golf course that would have him. Guess I will pack appropriate attire just in case.

We have Pinehurst near us, if you have ever heard of it, but no comparison in his mind to going to the home of golf in Scotland. He will be awestruck just to be there. Since I am rather arm-twisting him to go on this trip with a school group, it would be marvelous for him to have a day of his own.

My son and I did not have the credentials to play the course but we did buy some buckets of balls and hit on the driving range and also spent some time on the putting green. Don't forget to allow some time to walk around this charming town!:)

Carole (stateparent)

Archived