Advice on Jan '10 family cruise to celebrate father's 80th

jlrf

I'm completely new to cruising and, despite having read most of the Cruise Questions' and First Time Cruisers' posts, I have a lot of questions. I'd really appreciate any advice.

My father turns 80 on Jan 3, 2010 and has suddenly thought that taking all the children and grandchildren on a cruise might be a great way to celebrate. At first we thought of a cruise that covered Christmas, New Year and his birthday but, since the price is quite high over the holidays,we're now thinking of a seven-day cruise around Jan 3.

• The first question is where? He and four of my sisters live in the UK; we're in Quebec. Price-wise, would it be better to find a cruise in Europe? Weather-wise, is it warm enough anywhere closer to the UK or should we think of the Caribbean?

• If the Caribbean, is the choice between the East and the West just a question of personal preference or are there advantages to one over the other?

• Are some embarkation ports better than others for people flying in from Canada and the UK? Most boats seem to leave from Miami, Fort Lauderdale or San Juan.

• Are the least expensive cabins really unattractive? Which grade provides best bang for the buck and is bearable to spend seven nights in?

• There'll be five families (plus my dad) consisting of 11 adults from 18 to 80, and 10 children from 6 months to 17 (if 17 is considered a child). How many people fit comfortably in a cabin? Can one book adjoining cabins?

• If one's booking for a group, is it best to book early? How early is early?

• I've been sent the names of three agents from a website that allows one to get quotes from different companies. The two I've already had contact with are very helpful and knowledgeable. How does one deal with this situation: Do you ask all of them for the same info and get them to match prices and deals, or do you choose one from the beginning and continue with him/her? (I feel uncomfortable about wasting someone's time or playing one against the other.)

Thank you for any answers and suggestions.

I'm completely new to cruising and, despite having read most of the Cruise Questions' and First Time Cruisers' posts, I have a lot of questions. I'd really appreciate any advice.

My father turns 80 on Jan 3, 2010 and has suddenly thought that taking all the children and grandchildren on a cruise might be a great way to celebrate. At first we thought of a cruise that covered Christmas, New Year and his birthday but, since the price is quite high over the holidays,we're now thinking of a seven-day cruise around Jan 3.

• The first question is where? He and four of my sisters live in the UK; we're in Quebec. Price-wise, would it be better to find a cruise in Europe? Weather-wise, is it warm enough anywhere closer to the UK or should we think of the Caribbean?

January 3rd is a good date. The first two weeks after the holidays have large discounts since many Americans start their new "leave" year on the 1st, so aren't ready to take vacation that early in the year.

Europe is too cold in January. The southern Caribbean is the warmest. Can you all get reasonable air fare to San Juan? The cruises from there are often greatly discounted since it's more expensive to fly there instead of Miami or Ft Lauderdale. Plus, the weather is really much better in the Southern Caribbean in the winter. The area around Florida can get quite chilly.

• If the Caribbean, is the choice between the East and the West just a question of personal preference or are there advantages to one over the other?

As I said, look into Southern from San Juan.

• Are some embarkation ports better than others for people flying in from Canada and the UK? Most boats seem to leave from Miami, Fort Lauderdale or San Juan.

See above

• Are the least expensive cabins really unattractive? Which grade provides best bang for the buck and is bearable to spend seven nights in?

Ships have a large variance. Inside cabins are all pretty small. Look at larger ships to get better pricing (takes much longer to sell out, so they discount a bit more). I would recommend at least a partially obstructed exterior cabin. Don't put more than two adults and two children in ANY cabin.

• There'll be five families (plus my dad) consisting of 11 adults from 18 to 80, and 10 children from 6 months to 17 (if 17 is considered a child). How many people fit comfortably in a cabin? Can one book adjoining cabins?

Children have to be at least 6 months to cruise. Check out the due dates for the "6 month old". They have to be at least 6 months or you will be denied boarding. Care for infants is limited on board and days at sea leave you far from help if the infant has a major medical condition develop (high fever, etc.)

• If one's booking for a group, is it best to book early? How early is early?

Look into group bookings. For every 8 cabins, there is a potential credit that could be spread amongst the group.

• I've been sent the names of three agents from a website that allows one to get quotes from different companies. The two I've already had contact with are very helpful and knowledgeable. How does one deal with this situation: Do you ask all of them for the same info and get them to match prices and deals, or do you choose one from the beginning and continue with him/her? (I feel uncomfortable about wasting someone's time or playing one against the other.)

Thank you for any answers and suggestions.

Find a good agent that works numerous groups. Ask them to give you their experience with large groups. That should help you. Make sure they know a lot about the cruise lines you are considering.

My suggestion is to look at Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, and HAL, in that order. There are really good deals to be had.

good luck!

J

Children have to be at least 6 months to cruise. Check out the due dates for the "6 month old". They have to be at least 6 months or you will be denied boarding.

good luck!

Gosh--well that's an excellent piece of information. The baby's due in July, so he won't be old enough. We'll have to think of something else.

Thank you--you saved me hours of research! (But I think the cruise bug has bitten, so perhaps I'll plan something for my family of definitely-not-six-month-old boys!)

j

Archived