Another outerwear question

lovebug33

Okay, I really am trying to avoid taking my heavy winter coat to Alaska because I just don't want to lug it everywhere. We're going the first week of June. Do you think this would be sufficient: a fleece lined rain proof lightweight jacket and a hooded sweatshirt? Then, I could wear a short sleeved shirt underneath. Thanks for answering yet another outerwear question. I am from Vegas, so I'm not really sure what cold is like. Is Alaska in June cold like Denver in December? TIA!

In my opinion that would be sufficient. We were there on a cruisetour in September and I was very comfortable in a fleece jacket. I had a rainproof shell to go over it, but we were fortunate and didn't have any rain. You might want to throw in a long sleeve turtleneck to go underneath. When we lived in Fairbanks, it was quite warm during the days in the summer.

What you are proposing is perfect. We went the first week of June in 2008 and those are the types of things I wore. Long sleeved tee shirts or sweatshirts under my waterproof jacket. You can pile things on and take them off as needed depending on the temperature - as long as you have that raingear with you, you'll be fine. Enjoy! We love Alaska and are planning our third trip back in 2010....sigh....seems like such a long way off! :(

Archived