The thread on best places to eat in the Bahamas made me think...

Dukegirl5577

Do most people really return to the ship to eat lunch on board? It would honestly never occur to me to do that. Not only do you only have a limited amount of time in port (and why waste time going back to the ship for a meal?), but then you'd never get to experience the local cuisine.

What do you do? Return to the ship for lunch or seek out a local restaurant/shack/market while in port?

I would definately stay onshore and sample local cuisine.

It would be a PIA going back onboard especially if one tendered to and from port.

Cruise food is good, but local cuisine/flavors in port just shouldn't be missed

Do most people really return to the ship to eat lunch on board? It would honestly never occur to me to do that. Not only do you only have a limited amount of time in port (and why waste time going back to the ship for a meal?), but then you'd never get to experience the local cuisine.

What do you do? Return to the ship for lunch or seek out a local restaurant/shack/market while in port?

I've done both. It really depends on the situation. When the Crown was docked at St. George in Bermuda, it was literally as close as any restaurant if you were just shopping or sightseeing downtown so we saved a lot of money by hopping back on the boat and then back out again. On the other hand, I wouldn't tender on and off. Local cuisine can be wonderful but so can saving a few $$. :)

14 cruises and I have never come back on board to eat. We try to see as much as we can on our port days so spending the time to come back just to save a few bucks makes no sense for us. Plus, I love to try to local cuisine. I've tasted some amazing (and not so great) foods. But, I can completely understand a cruiser on a budget who isn't touring very far from the ship coming back to eat before venturing out again. Just a matter of personal preference.

Archived