around the port in honolulu

emily rose

I wondering if I need to rent a car in honolulu port or can you walk around the area. I will be doing a laua in the evening and just looking for around the port area during the day .I will be staying in waikiki post cruise with a car for a few days so not really interested in another excursion while the ship is in dock .

I wondering if I need to rent a car in honolulu port or can you walk around the area. I will be doing a laua in the evening and just looking for around the port area during the day .I will be staying in waikiki post cruise with a car for a few days so not really interested in another excursion while the ship is in dock .

Yes there is lots to do around the port, statues, buildings, palace and china town just to name a few. The Aloha Tower and shops right next to the pier is quite nice. We spent half day walking around the pier area as your almost in the financial/business area,very clean and safe area.

I had gotten all the info out of the book "Hawaii by cruise ship" written by Anne Vipond.

There is lots to do w/in walking distance. It depends on which pier you are docked.

If you are at Pier 10 then you have the Aloha Tower and shopping mall with lots of places to eat. Next door on the east side is the Maritime Museum. Be sure to look over the wall at the tropical fish in the harbor water.

You can walk to the State of Hawaii Art Museum (Hotel St at corner of Richards St) and also Iolani Palace (King St at Richards St) and the State Capitol building (Beretania St at Richards St). Kawaiahao Church is at King St at Punchbowl St. further east.

In the other direction from Pier 10 (west) you can walk to Chinatown (an area that is mostly on King St and Maunakea St which are cross streets). Eat lunch at Golden Palace on King St or Little Village on Smith St.

If you are docked at Pier 1 or 2 you are further away, maybe 1/2 mile from Aloha Tower. I would take a bus or a cab to Chinatown and walk the way back. Once you have seen Chinatown catch the bus on Hotel St at the Maunakea Market Place and go east on Hotel St all the way down to the State Museum, Iolani Palace, and Capitol. From there you can walk or bus again.

Buses run more often in the east/west direction and seldom in the north/south direction. Check out charleystaxi.com for fares or thebus.org.

Aloha

Archived