Southampton Pre-Cruise Hotel

juliecat

Hi Juliecat

I live near Southampton and have helped many people with their pre-cruise bookings for transfers and help wherever I can. I know of the Star Hotel in Southampton as being of traditional English character and would cost around the £60 GBP mark per night. Can check it out using your search engine, but if you have any trouble I could do that for you. Others would stay at the Holiday Inn, The Devere Grand Harbour or the Ibis. The Star is a more traditional looking hotel, but other than that and it is in walking distance of the town and the sea I don't know much about it. I am due to go into Southampton during this week and will try and check this one out before I can pesonally recommend it. Let you know how I get on.

Cheryl

Cheryl,

This is one of the hotels on my short list. I'd be very interested in your opinion of it (some of the reviews I've read have been a bit iffy but I'm never sure if I should believe some of them).

Thanks,

juliecat

I stayed in the Star Hotel this year before a cruise. It is indeed very well located in your sense - directly on High Street with restaurants and shops close by. I really liked the old charme, especially of the breakfast room. Nevertheless you need to know that it is a two star hotel - no porters, no roomservice etc. If you do not mind this, it is really fine.

IMHO all of the hotels in Southampton are overpriced given their respective ranking but that holds not only for the Star but goes all the way to the Grand Hotel.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn and was satisfied with it. Rooms were large and comfortable and price was reasonable. It is very close to the Maritime Museum and another local museum. As long as you don't have bad knees, as I do, it is also not too far from the shopping area--I'm guessing 1/4 -1/2 mile or a little further?

If you stay at the Holiday Inn, you can cross the road and walk about a block to the Maritime Museum, which you definitely should do. There is a walk around the old town walls that starts at the museum also.

Also across the street is the parking lot of the shopping center, the main entrance of which is in the town center area, so it is not very far. I have very bad knees and had to take a taxi to the shopping area but others could very easily walk it.

Other advantage of the Holiday Inn that probably doesn't matter to you but might to others, is that behind it is the Avis car lot.

I am booked at the Star http://www.thestarhotel.com on 14 December for one night pre crossing. No porters and no room service are not a problem. I'm just looking for clean and comfortable enough for one night. I am paying GBP 60 for a single. The reviews of the Star at Trip Advisor are not good, but for one night how bad can it be? I'll let you know the answer when I return after 21 Dec.

The Dolphin Hotel http://www.thedolphin.co.uk is right next door and the reviews are much better, but it is more expensive. Rooms are recently redone.

Priceline is an option, but I wanted to be very close to the Harbor, and with PL you could end up in the City Centre just a bit further away.

Have seen both of these hotels in person today. (I was shopping in Southampton, so I thought, why not?). These hotels are next door to each other, neither are 'luxurious', but as stated they are both old traditional buildings. Briefly my impressions of the Star was that it is very 'frilly' and as expected the rooms were small but it was perfectly clean and the staff were VERY friendly indeed.

The Dolphin, I must say I question its cleanliness. Trying to look modern and failing! The staff were not at all helpful and 2 of them had a stand-up disagreement in front of me which was rather embarrasing. I personally would prefer the Star! I think it is the cheaper one of the 2 anyway. Perfectly adequate for one night.

Also went to the Holiday Inn, different altogether - very nice indeed. Near the port, nice views and excellent facilities. Obviously more expensive, I think around the £100 + mark, but to me this is worth the extra!!!!

Cheryl

juliecat,

Although some are not happy with The Star Hotel, I have stayed there a number of times and have found it quite acceptable for a one or two night stay. Bed, lovely Breakfast Room, en-suite bath, coffee-tea in the room. Porter Service??? Eddie is there in the a.m. and they will lock up your cases so the only thing you need is an overnight bag. And The Star is 1/3 of the cost of The DeVere.....

Shopping... BarGate is a two minute walk from the hotel. Just go right and it is on the right. Three minutes further is North of the Bar. Shops all over.

Pubs... Go left. One minute. All locals and a lot of fun. And right before BarGate there is a nice pub/restaurant.

Restaurant. Oxford Street. 5-10 minutes from the Hotel. One... White Star. (Ironic????) Best one though is Oxford's Bar & Restaurant (have the Hotel make a booking for you - very popular - they will....). Another nice place is Dock Gate 4 for a drink before dinner. The taxi can drop you off at the end of Oxford Street and you can just walk across the street.

Taxis.... The Hotel will arrange whatever you need. Just give them a bit of notice. It is no more than 15 minutes from the Hotel to The Docks.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am also looking for a pre-cruise hotel in Southampton for My 14th october crossing.

I found a hotel called Jurys Inn located at 1 Charlotte Place, supposed to be downtown located. Does anyone know if thi is a good location? I like to visit the Maritime Museum and do some shopping while I am in Southampton.

http://southamptonhotels.jurysdoyle.com/

I drove past the Jury Inn hotel on Tuesday. It is not central compared to a few other hotels mentioned in this thread. It is also in the middle of a trafic island (roundabout) with other buildings still being worked on. I cannot imagine it would be quiet. It would not be my choice of place to stay.

Hope this helps, Stephen.

My work takes me to Southampton every other week and since Jurys opened I have never satyed anywhere else. It is, in fact, somewhere I "choose" to stay as oposed to "have to" because of work commitments. The rooms have a bit more character that the typical monotonous rooms offered by travel lodge and the like. Staff are helpful and friendly.

It is a brand new building and all the rooms are double glazed and sound proofed. I've neved had an issue with noise, and I actually alwats sleep with the window open. There is no building work during the night of course, if it's an issue ask for a room on the other side to where they are building. The food is all right, although expensive. There is a free overnight carpark close by as the hotel parking is expensive even with the discounts they give.

Jurys is not in the historical part of the town and at the other end to Oxford Street but is at the edge of the park close to the more affordable bars and restaurants on London Road and Bedford Place. You are also about 300 yards from the main street : Above Bar Street.

It is five minutes away from the Library (a must for any ship fan) and the railway station. You can get a free bus from the railway station down to the Red Funnel terminal, right beside the Maritime Museum.

Southampton is so small that you can walk anywhere in the city (that you'd want to go to) in 20 minutes.

CharlotteVale has already given a good bit of information about what there is down at the historical part of the town.

I just stayed at the Star Hotel for two nights prior to the Bank Holiday French Escape cruise on the QE2 (which was wonderful).

I had booked my single room at GBP 60 several months ago. I noticed on their website that they were offering a GBP 45 rate for August. When I called the hotel they told me that the special rate was sold out. So I asked for a little discount; they charged GBP 55 and upgraded me to a double bed room with a good view, large bathroom, and sitting area.

I love the older feel of this hotel. The staff is very helpful, the location is excellent, the breakfast room is charming and the breakfast is tasty and abundant. And it's within walking distance of West Quay Shopping Center, the Mayflower Theatre, City Art Museum, and the Maritime Museum. I would definitely recommend the Star Hotel.

A taxi from the hotel to the QE2 terminal was around GBP 6.

Thank You all for good information.

We prefer to stay close to city center and the museum and mall we like to visit, so I am now booked at the Star Hotel, sounds like a good choice for us.

The rate was £85 for two people in a twin bed room included breakfast and taxes.

Thanks for asking. I had a great time on the QE2 Bank Holiday cruise. The ship, service and food were the very best. Rather surprisingly the further north we sailed the warmer and dryer the weather. I must admit I did not get off the ship in all of the ports. This trip (as always) was all about QE2 for me.

Sorry we did not use the Queens Grill Lounge much at all so I did not notice who was serving. Diane could never be ready early enough to have a pre dinner drink in the Queens Grill Lounge. After dinner we tended to start in the Char Room (with Rita), see the show in the Grand Lounge and then move on to the Yacht Club.

I booked my QE2 cruise for 2006. Ten days around the Mediterranean in May. Onboard they were offering a $300 per person onboard credit for that cruise in Caronia grade accommodation. I will miss the Queens Grill, penthouse service and balcony next time but I am sure it will be a good cruise.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Fjord Viking,

Ask for a room that does not overlook the main street at the Star Hotel; they can be a bit noisy until the clubs close. Otherwise, a nice, affordable hotel. Have the bellman arrange a taxi for you (especially if there are sporting events on while you're in town).

Julia

We stayed at the Jurys Inn in Southampton this June before our cruise on QE2. It is a new hotel so we got a really good price for the room. Food in the hotel restaurant is quite expensive. The rooms were small but the power shower was exceptional. It is quiet despite its location since the windows are double glazed. The staff were either rude or still trying to figure things out and we decided because of this, and the rather distant location from the harbour, that we would not stay there again in future.

Thanks for asking about the 5 day cruise. I can't answer about the Queens Grill/Lounge personnel, because I was in the Mauretania.

I believe I was one of only 5 Americans on this cruise. I loved being with the Britons!

It was a wonderful cruise. Cunard is very wise for offering this cruise several times in 2006. I chose this cruise because I wanted to visit the Guggenheim in Bilbao. It looks better in pictures and is overpriced at 12 Euros. The gift shop is a ripoff with one Euro postcards and key chains starting at 5 Euros. But the flowered puppy in front of the museum is adorable.

La Rochelle is a charming, very typical French village. I would like to go back there when more shops are open.

And St Peter Port in Guernsey was lovely. Many of my favorite shops were closed since it was Bank Holiday Monday. But it's a delightful place to walk around, and the weather was glorious.

I was on the QE2 in June 2004 and thought it was rather dirty (especially the hallway and stateroom carpet). Now I thought that the stateroom was immaculate and the carpets throughout the ship were bright.

The food in the Mauretania was delicious and much improved over previous trips. Especially excellent were the breakfasts, lunches, and fish, lamb, and duck at dinner.

I'm now planning my 2006 trip on the QE2.

Archived