Cruising Panama Canal with disabled family??? Is it possible???

kmavb

Hi there...I'm wanting to take my parents and 94 yr old grandma on a Panama canal cruise. Dad uses a cane and/or walker...and grandma can walk slowly, but she will need a wheel chair to navigate around the ship. Will they enjoy a Panama canal cruise. As a family we've only been on a 7 day Alaskan cruise...and IT WAS FABULOUS!!! Just right for my family!!! But I'm wondering how they'd fit a Panama canal cruise??? Will they have mobility difficulties on board the ship, or during excursions while in the different ports??? PLEASE HELP!!! We need advice from the experienced travelers...especially those who use a walker/wheelchair while on board the cruise ship.

THANKS!!!

I use a rollator and a scooter. I have been to the canal and had a great time. My dad was stationed there during WWII in the navy. I had heard storied about the area as a child and had a few photos of him there in his uniform. I read "The Path Between the Seas" before going and it was very helpful. The cruise itself was fabulous. However off the ship (you didn't say which ports you would stop at) is different from Alaska as there may be no accessible tour options. However since it appears your family still walks some that may not be a problem. When we did this I could still climb the steps up on the standard tour buses so I had fewer problems than I would now. If I were doing this today I would look for private excursions using a van or car.

My mom uses a wheelchair all the time because she is unable to walk. She and my dad were on RC's Jewel of the Seas Panama Canal cruise (11-nt) on Feb. 9th. She had a great time. They had a few problems with excursions from RC that were supposed to be HC accessible but someone at RC dropped the ball in scheduling the right bus.

My mom loved Jewel and was able to get around by herself. She uses a manual wheelchair and not a scooter.

I'm sure you would have a great time but there will be some planning involved if you want to make the most of your stops.

I assume you will be providing or renting the WC. if renting you must rent from a dealer approved by the cruiseline. You will also want an HC cabin.

They should do fine on the cruise, excursions are always a problem if you are in a WC. Many that are marked accessible are not very, and many have NO accessible ones, you can do your homework and book your own independently with companies that offer accessible options but it is a pain.

Do you even know if they would WANT to get off the ship? The Canal they can enjoy from the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived