Question about when to dine in specialty restaurants

JodyLynn007

Hi everyone, hubby and I depart on the Ruby Princess on Saturday, March 21/09 (yes, that's only 2 days from now!) and of course we are going to be having dinner at both Sabatinis and the other specialty restaurant, I think it's called Crown Grill?

Was wondering for an opinion based on your own specific experiences, what are the best nights to opt for specialty dining? We are going to make reservations as soon as we get on board and would like to pick the best nights.

Is it better to book the dinners for a formal night or a regular night? I have read that the food items in the regular dining rooms are better on formal nights, so perhaps we should book for non-formal nights for the specialty dinners?

Also, are the formal nights usually the at sea days? I think that is the case but as I've only cruised Princess once before, I am not sure.

Hoping for some quick answers as we start our journey flying from Vancouver, BC CANADA to Toronto, Ont CANADA and then on to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow at 6am. Leaving home at 4am. Eek!

Hi,

I think you're on the right track (as we do much the same). We tend to book, when possible, on either sea days or days when we get back on the ship at a decent time (late afternoon/early evening). We TEND to avoid formal nights (for your reasons), but have sometimes done it if those are the only sea days available to us.

Have a fabulous trip!

Jeff

Hi everyone, hubby and I depart on the Ruby Princess on Saturday, March 21/09 (yes, that's only 2 days from now!) and of course we are going to be having dinner at both Sabatinis and the other specialty restaurant, I think it's called Crown Grill?

Was wondering for an opinion based on your own specific experiences, what are the best nights to opt for specialty dining? We are going to make reservations as soon as we get on board and would like to pick the best nights.

Is it better to book the dinners for a formal night or a regular night? I have read that the food items in the regular dining rooms are better on formal nights, so perhaps we should book for non-formal nights for the specialty dinners?

Also, are the formal nights usually the at sea days? I think that is the case but as I've only cruised Princess once before, I am not sure.

Hoping for some quick answers as we start our journey flying from Vancouver, BC CANADA to Toronto, Ont CANADA and then on to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow at 6am. Leaving home at 4am. Eek!

IMHO - I would eat in the regular anytime dining room on Formals - for the Ruby they are after the two sea days - great menu's on formal nights. One night I would suggest for one of the speciality restaurants would be Monday......pretty sure that's Caribbean night in the diningroom - my least favorite of the nights. We are thinking of booking the Crown Grill for the Monday night dinner when we board - and probably Sabatini's for the last night (landfall dinner). Everything I've read says both are excellent on the Ruby. We ate in Sabatini's on the Tahitian - and loved it - but my gosh - there was a lot of food.....so go hungry. Haven't tried the Crown yet but are looking forward to that experience (and upgrading to the big lobster tail) when we sail in two weeks.

If you have a balcony - you may also want to consider the UBD - ultimate balcony dinner - expensive at $50 pp - but everyone highly recommends this also....I think we may need a two week cruise just for all the dining options on the Ruby.

Have a wonderful time - wishing you smooth seas and warm sunny days.:D

Sandy

Charlotte, NC

• 3 weeks later...
We choose any night, we went to the Crown Grill 4 times on the Ruby. :D

Haha, wouldn't you know it... hubby and I went twice to Crown Grill and once to Sabatini's. Can't say enough about the souffle at the CG. YUM.

Archived