Balmoral July 17th Llochs and Fjords

jemchome

Assume the very worst and then you can only be delighted. I told everyone we were staying in steerage when we picked up guarantee cabin. I'd almost convinced myself we'd be with the rats by the time the tickets arrived. We had been expected allocation on arrival so were pleased just to know our cabin number early. We were allocated an outside and the whole household fell into celebration.

It happened for about 50% of the guarantees we met onboard, although I doubt many were quite as excited about it as we were.

Yes. Our first and only cruise (so far) was on Balmoral last summer on a last minute guarantee. We have just rebooked for Balmoral this summer on a normal type booking and are taking the outlaws with us.

We went to the North Cape and Fjords so any questions, fire away (so long as you don't mind you thread going a bit off topic).

We go to Bergen, Flam, Gudvangen and Olden in the Fjords. Then Kirkwall in the Orkneys and Invergordon in Scotland. I have been to Flam and Bergen before so know what to expect there but I am wondering if you know anything about Gudvangen or Olden as I am wondering whether we can just wander off the ship or whether we should take atrip? Not sure what there is to see in those places.

We go to Bergen, Flam, Gudvangen and Olden in the Fjords. Then Kirkwall in the Orkneys and Invergordon in Scotland. I have been to Flam and Bergen before so know what to expect there but I am wondering if you know anything about Gudvangen or Olden as I am wondering whether we can just wander off the ship or whether we should take atrip? Not sure what there is to see in those places.

I hope this isn't too disappointing but I suspect you may not be going to Gudvangen. We were on a cruise last summer on Balmoral with a very similar itinerary including Gudvangen. When we embarked at Dover we were given notice that the ship would not be calling at Gudvangen afterall due to the fact that (quote) "the fjord cannot be entered by vessels larger than 210 metres". So instead of spending the morning in Flam and the afternoon in Gudvangen we spent the whole day in Flam.

The brochure clearly states that your trip goes to Gudvangen but if you look at the itinerary for the same cruise on the FO website there is no mention of Gudvangen so I suspect they may have already printed the brochure before they realised that the ship was too big to go there. What does your booking confirmation say?

I believe that the fjord up to Gudvangen is one of the narrowest in Norway and although Fred Olsen's smaller ships frequently call there Balmoral is 218 metres long so unless they have changed the regulations since last summer she is not allowed in.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope you get there, it sounds a lovely place, but it might be worth a call to FO to check it out.

J.

Archived