Princess insurance 90% credit - how does it work

whiterose

Sad to say, we had to cancel a long Princess cruise just weeks before sailing. It looks like Berley Insurance will invoke the "pre-existing condition" clause and we may end up with a 90% credit to use for a future Princess cruise.

How does this work? Do you have to use it all on one cruise? Can you split it up and book two or more cruises if the credit is big enough? We used a small one years ago so I know it cannot be used for port charges and taxes but how about using it for Princess Air?

Figured I'd get better information from you guys than from the folk who answer the phone for Princess.

You need to contact Berkely. You won't find a solid answer here. BTW, in the future, you may want to visit insuremytrip.com where you'll find 40 different reputable insurance companies that you can compare on your own.

You can purchase a much better policy that suites your individual needs for half the cost you paid the cruise line.

The problem with other insurance policies is that whiterose could not collect on with a pre-existing condition. I did not find Princess insurance more expensive than others, in fact, in our case, it is less. I have used both, but prefer Princess as I can cancel for any reason. And as Platnium, we get upgraded on our coverage at no additional charge. If you do a search, you will find that others have had no problem with getting a cruise credit with Princess on their insurance.

Judith

Thanks for the replies - I knew someone else out there must have used this kind of Princess credit. I'm sure that we'll get the Princess credit if Berkley refused to give us cash. My concern is that Princess will insist we "spend" it all on one cruise. This will be a large credit because we had to cancel a 58 day cruise - much longer than we usually do. I'd prefer to use the credit for two shorter cruises - do you think that's possible.

Hi Whiterose,

I think it is possible, but don’t know for sure. It is an interesting question. Did you call the princess protection plan hotline? If not, here is the #: 877-846-8833. Let us know what you find out. I do believe that you have one year to use the credit. We have their insurance for two cruises that we are taking this year. As we are trying to sell our house, it may come in handy if we can’t make a cruise because of escrow. Regular insurance would not cover that.

Good luck….would love to hear how this works out for you….

Judith

We have two future cruise credit certificates. We cancelled after final payment and re-booked at a much lower fare. Even after penalties, we saved $1500. :D You will need to use the credit on one cruise. The certificate says (in part):

This certificate has been issued as part of the Princess travel care program. This credit is combinable with any fare and/or discount offered on your next princess cruise (valid for one cruise only). :( The credit is non-transferable, non-refundable and non-negotiable for cash value and may not be used as a deposit.

Archived