Can you buy a cabin upgrade after the ship sails?

SpankysMom

Hi all,

We are sailing the Westerdam to Alaska from Seattle on 05/10/09 and it appears the ship is now fully booked. We were hoping to upgrade to a balcony room waiting for the prices to drop a little more. That didn't happen so I am wondering how difficult it is to buy an upgrade after the ship sails.

If someone doesn't show or there are last minute cancellations, do they sell those rooms at a discount to someone that wants them or because you really want it do they charge full price? Is this something that is common practice? Thanks in advance!

SM

From what I've heard, the few (VERY few) times an onboard upgrade has been available, the price is pretty steep.

Quite true -- should a cabin have a no-show, the price will be veery high to get that upsell -- no bargains.
I have always believed that at-pier or on-board upsells would be at essentially the list-price differential, but on Mar 11th DutchByAssociation posted:

And to answer your other question, until the ship sails there is always a possibility of further upgrades if the space is there. Sometimes you can also even do paid upgrades onboard where you would pay a fraction of what it would usually cost to move to whatever category.

I have always believed that at-pier or on-board upsells would be at essentially the list-price differential, but on Mar 11th DutchByAssociation posted:

And to answer your other question, until the ship sails there is always a possibility of further upgrades if the space is there. Sometimes you can also even do paid upgrades onboard where you would pay a fraction of what it would usually cost to move to whatever category.

I have no doubt that the possibility of an onboard low cost upgrade exists, but I've never read of that occurring.

If someone doesn't show or there are last minute cancellations, do they sell those rooms at a discount to someone that wants them or because you really want it do they charge full price? Is this something that is common practice? Thanks in advance!

Yep! I knew someone who did exactly that. She decided at the last minute to take a seven-day Zuiderdam cruise with me and tried to book a balcony for herself and her husband, but no balconies were available because she booked sort of last minute. She wasn't happy and was originally gonna forget about taking the cruise, but decided to take her chances afterall and hope she can get a balcony once onboard. When she got onboard, she went straight to the front desk and put her "request" in. A few hours after sailing she got a phone call. They had a balcony, and this was the additional price. She had exactly five minutes to go look at it and make her decision, or else they were gonna call the next person on the list. Within an hour a steward was helping her and her DH to move their stuff over into the balcony cabin.

So, yes, it certainly can be done ... IF there are empty balcony staterooms to be had.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks for your replies. I stand corrected on the cruise being fully booked. Yesterday all catagories were closed and today the SAs and the Penthouse are available. I guess things change day by day. SM

Just upgrade to the Penthouse. As some friends told me, you aren't going to take it with you.:D:D

Thanks for your replies. I stand corrected on the cruise being fully booked. Yesterday all catagories were closed and today the SAs and the Penthouse are available. I guess things change day by day. SM

Group space was probably released by the travel agencies holding it. A fully booked ship is not always fully booked ... not before final payment day anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived