help

Dave&Karen

Hello everyone,

We have never cruised with ncl, heard a lot lot of good things about the cruise line, just a question we are thinking of cruising 2010 out of Boston in April or early May how are the seas that time of year, some people say they would never do that cruise, any in put would help!

thanks

Karen;)

Hello everyone,

We have never cruised with ncl, heard a lot lot of good things about the cruise line, just a question we are thinking of cruising 2010 out of Boston in April or early May how are the seas that time of year, some people say they would never do that cruise, any in put would help!

thanks

Karen;)

Karen.. I am hoping some people with actual experience out of that port at that time of year can give you a for sure answer, but I can tell you we are sailing out of NY this coming Nov and we have been told by many that the Atlantic is the worst sea we have yet to sail on, so we are taking many precautions for seasickness. I am not trying to discourage you by any means, just giving you the insight we have been given. Like I say, hopefully someone can give you an answer more specific to your question.

I have cruised from Boston several times in Oct and also in Late May and June. Going to Bermuda from Boston you need to cross the Gulf stream that runs up the side of the Atlantic coastline, that tends to be a bit rough. There is usually a day and night when things are a bit rocky other than that they are fine unless there is a storm but that would be a problem on any sea.

We went from Bermuda to Boston on a repositioning cruise one spring. As my friend had warned me the trip across from Bermuda to Boston the beginning of May was very rough. We had 2 weeks of calm seas in the Carribean, a wonderful trip until that last day. We were on the Majesty which is a smaller ship. Maybe it would have been better on a larger ship? Next time I will start taking my Bonine before I leave and the motion tends to be worse at the front of the ship. :D

Storms at sea can happen at any time during the year. A prudent sailor would plan for the worst, and pray for the best. Bring your sea sickness pills.

When I sailed on the Majesty the trip southward was a bit rough, not too bad, and the trip northward was smooth. I do not think anyone can predict the weather or sea conditions.

Storms at sea can happen at any time during the year. A prudent sailor would plan for the worst, and pray for the best. Bring your sea sickness pills.

When I sailed on the Majesty the trip southward was a bit rough, not too bad, and the trip northward was smooth. I do not think anyone can predict the weather or sea conditions.

Since you seem very trustworthy, can you advise us what is the best medicine to pack just in case? Should I drop by my doctor's office just across the street and request a prescription or just buy OTC product?

Also, what about getting sick in Mexico? Been there, and don't care to do it again. Prescription, just in case?

Thank you in advance if you can offer some advice.:)

Since you seem very trustworthy, can you advise us what is the best medicine to pack just in case? Should I drop by my doctor's office just across the street and request a prescription or just buy OTC product?

Also, what about getting sick in Mexico? Been there, and don't care to do it again. Prescription, just in case?

Thank you in advance if you can offer some advice.:)

Hi Ms. Belp

My doctor has a "packet" of prescriptions he recommends when going anywhere that you might run into unclean water or food. It consists of the motion patches for seasickness, an antidiarrheal, and an antibiotic for the intestinal problems you might encounter.

He always reminds me that being in a contained area, like a ship, means all germs are also contained, so to be cautious about washing hands frequently, not touching the elevator buttons with your bare fingertips, same with door knobs or handles in public bathrooms etc.

As far as the ocean crossing out of Boston, like Don Haynes says, you can't predict the particular weather, so just go prepared. Dave&Karen, do you get car sick? You may not experience anything even if the seas are a bit rough. I do not and have never had to use the prescribed patches. Hope that will be the case for you and Ms. Belp.

Oh, and Ms. Belp, don't eat fresh salads in Mexico. Stick with cooked foods on shore, do not drink the water. Take water from the ship with you when you go ashore. Even the ice could be contaminated, so if you must have a coke, get it only in a can, and wipe the top with a napkin or better yet, put some of your clean ship water on the lid before you pop it open. It may have been in contaminated ice. Do not brush your teeth with their tap water.

You could very well encounter rough seas on any cruise (as mentioned earlier- storms happen!). So be prepared for sea sickness. There are two main types of medications: those meds that prevent sea sickness and those that treat sea sickness. In other words, once you actually get violently ill, no amount of a preventative med will help you; you need a treatment med!

Here's my best medical advice: don't ask medical advice from anyone other than your own doctor or pharmacist!

Discuss preventative meds with your doc: some are OTC (meclizine AKA Bonine, Dramamine, etc) and some are RX (scopolamine patch). All have side effects in some people. That's why many of us suggest you try the med before the cruise (so you have time to buy a different one if you have a reaction). Meclizine is the medicine given out free onboard.

If you have a very unusual medical condition, you may want to discuss treatment meds with your own doc. However, hopefully you won't need a treatment med, and if you do, visit the ship's doc (yes, this costs, but it's worth every penny). Rx treatment meds vary (phenergan, zofran, etc) but you will be able to find relief onboard.

Speaking from experience: don't be a hero and try to tough it out! If you do get sea sick, go to the infirmary. This also applies to any illness onboard; some intestinal bugs from unclean water may resolve spontaneously, but you might need antibioics. See the doc before you get dehydrated.

maybe spelled wrong, but pharmacies have a bottle of 100 pills (12.5 mg) for $5. I was a Bonine lover til a pharmacist talked me into this. Works gret! I take one in the morning & one a night, all set for any waves or weather.

April we did NYC to Bermuda, we rocked us to sleep every night but nothing bad. But Noember to Canada from NYC with stop in Boston was quite a ride. Barf bags all over, stewrds shampooing carpets in the hallways, dining room were quite empty. We met folks from Majesty & other small ships that had quite a ride & wanted to get on Jewel with us.

Years ago we did a TA from Southhampton to NYC, a hurricane was in the waters and the waves were huge, over 20 feet. We had a CC balcony & waves were crashing on 9th deck. Then they announced for all balcony folks not to go out on them. Glass doors were smashing from the waves on lower decks. Public doorways were locked, stores had smashed glass products, TV were off their tables & smashed. Our excursion to Iceland was cancelled with 85 ft waves with extreme winds with the hurricane there. So we headed to Vigo Spain which was a better ride. We enjoyed the suspense since we knew we had a great Captain & crew to get us safely to our next port. We thanked him at his meeting with everyone and the room broke into applause.

So be ready with seasick pills, you will be in great hands getting everywhere. When you are protected from getting sick, you will really enjoy the ride & rocking to sleep.

maybe spelled wrong, but pharmacies have a bottle of 100 pills (12.5 mg) for $5. I was a Bonine lover til a pharmacist talked me into this. Works gret! I take one in the morning & one a night, all set for any waves or weather..

Bonine and meclizine are the same OTC drug. One is a name brand and costs a lot more than the generic. I also buy a big bottle of meclizine (in some pharmacies you have to special order it); it can be the same price as a small container of Bonine.

Antivert is another "brand name" for meclizine, although the strength may be different? And there is another brand name in the UK?

Depending on brand, the tablets may or may not be chewable. Also, I think I've seen both once a day or twice a day dosing (just read the label).

Hopefully the OP's cruise will be smooth sailing!

Archived