What does tenders mean

turtle0215

Tenders are boats that you must take to get to shore if your ship does not actually pull up to a dock. These are called Tender or Tendering ports.

Usually they use the lifeboats for this sometimes they also use hired local ferries.

If you are on a ship with tendering you must get a tender ticket, on the morning you get into port which will give you a number then you wait until your number is called to get off, If you have a ship purchased excursion you get priority tendering, also If you are a suite passenger you get priority after the excursion people.

I can imagine that this is dependent on the size of the ship but how much time is involved, typically, between the first and last tender when unloading at a new port, please?

Thanks, Carnival Miracle and cruise Noobie

Once the tenders start they will be running continually until the last tender returns from the port. The first tenders will be running as soon as the ship is cleared by local customs. They will continue to run as often as possible to get the passengers ashore.

Once the initial phase is over the tenders will run every 15 or 20 minutes each direction. The last one to shore is usually an hour before sailing time and the last returning to the ship will be about ½ hour before sailing time.

If you are leaving on Miracle next week the ports (St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts) are all docked so you won't have a problem. We've done that route twice and love it.

Hope this helps

Charlie

Charlie,

Thanks for the reply.

It has been twenty plus years since I've been to St. Maarten. We used to own a place at Mullet Bay Beach Hotel.

I'm apprehensive but excited to see what it looks like and to share some old haunts with my daughter and look up an old friend or two.

Again, I really appreciate the kind support, thoughts and suggestions that I have received on this site and, outside of the time I look to share with my family, I hope to meet some of you during our first or sure-to-be subsequent cruises.

All the best to you and yours, Lovetoflyfish

...If you are leaving on Miracle next week the ports (St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts) are all docked so you won't have a problem. We've done that route twice and love it.

Hope this helps

Charlie

A thought comes to mind...

... I remember what Philipsburg was like 20-30+ years ago so I wonder what it is like now when ships come to dock.

Do they limit the number of ships allowed to "dump" people on the island on a given day?

Same goes for St. Lucia and St. Kitts.

Regards, L

A thought comes to mind...

... I remember what Philipsburg was like 20-30+ years ago so I wonder what it is like now when ships come to dock.

Do they limit the number of ships allowed to "dump" people on the island on a given day?

Same goes for St. Lucia and St. Kitts.

Regards, L

All the ports have a limit on the number of ships that can dock or anchor. The last few times we have been to St. Maarten there were 3 or 4 ships in. St Lucia and St Kitts had 2 or 3.

You can go to http://www.cruisett.com and check the ships they have listed. The lists you find there may not be 100% correct but will give you an idea of what may be in port with you. Many of the ports have their own web sites that are more accurate.

Also remember that the ships will normally not arrive and depart at the same time.

Charlie

Archived