Upgrade or upsell

tarheel04

For all of you who have recieved an upgrade or upsell call before your cruise, exactly how soon before the cruise did this happen? We leave in five weeks and from what i hear my ship is not full ( balconies and suites ). We are on the freedom ( 4/25 ). Give me some of your success stories and exactly what the call consisted of from the upgrade / upsell fairy. Thanks to all in advance for your responses.

For all of you who have recieved an upgrade or upsell call before your cruise, exactly how soon before the cruise did this happen? We leave in five weeks and from what i hear my ship is not full ( balconies and suites ). We are on the freedom ( 4/25 ). Give me some of your success stories and exactly what the call consisted of from the upgrade / upsell fairy. Thanks to all in advance for your responses.

My experience with several of these calls is about a week out from sailing. You can increase your odds a bit by having your booking be annotated with request for upgrade/upsell. Call whoever you booked the cruise with and have them annotate your booking. Everything depends on how full the ship is about a week or so from sailing. The more cabins available the better your odds. Remember if you go get an upsell call often times the rate they quote you for an upgrade can be negotiated. Sometimes you can get a sweet deal other times not so great.

I got my upsell call on Mar 20 for an Apr 12 sailing. The rate for a balcony was VERY reduced compared to if we had booked it but we have all of our extra $ earmarked for diving :D

I got my upgrade from an inside to a balcony for 4 people 2 days before we set sail. It was a flat $350. We were so excited when they called and the room was amazing. We had a balcony on the spa deck. So quiet and the 11th floor is not busy at all. Good luck.

We received our calls about 2 weeks (had offers twice). The offer the first time was to move from an 8A (we chose the room) to category 11 for an additional $200 total. We took it because the price of our room had actually never gone down in price but instead up quite a bit since we had booked. The second time we were just upgraded by the fairy. We have never requested a possible upgrade just dumb luck.

My experience with several of these calls is about a week out from sailing. You can increase your odds a bit by having your booking be annotated with request for upgrade/upsell. Call whoever you booked the cruise with and have them annotate your booking. Everything depends on how full the ship is about a week or so from sailing. The more cabins available the better your odds. Remember if you go get an upsell call often times the rate they quote you for an upgrade can be negotiated. Sometimes you can get a sweet deal other times not so great.

so i should email my carnival pvp and tell him to mark my booking and this will increase my chances for a call. is this the correct way to handle this?

so i should email my carnival pvp and tell him to mark my booking and this will increase my chances for a call. is this the correct way to handle this?

I believe that is what I stated although I would phone them directly. There is no guarantee you will get the call but it increases your chances. Worked for me my last 3 cruises.

Why wait? If the ship is currently not full, Carnival will pull out the stops to fill it. We are on the Spirit sailing on Apr. 24th and noticed that Carnival dropped the BL to 899 for a 12 night cruise. Contacted our TA and he snagged an upgrade from an original 4A to an 8B for an extra $75. We could have waited but I would rather be proactive.

thanks to all for the info, i did send my pvp an email to see what he could do for us. now i'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. for some reason my wife got the balcony thing on her mind this weekend and i gotta try and please the boss. i guess i should' ve never booked a balcony in the past and she wouldn't be spoiled.

• 5 weeks later...

Just got a call tonight--34 days prior to our cruise on Victory. Unfortunately, the offer was from our balcony to a suite for almost $900. :eek: I told the caller that was too much and he politely said he would call others. Kind of a let down after he told me how great the suites are!!

Archived