Car Rental - Warnemunde to Lubeck & return

We are sailing on the Prisendam and will be docking in Warnemunde in late June, rather than taking a tour offered by Holland America we are thinking about renting a car and driving to Lubeck. Our ship docks about 7 am and we would like to be back on board by 6 in the evening. Has anyone done something similar? Do you have any advice with respect to the availability of rental cars nearby, a good route to follow and how long such a trip might take?

We are sailing on the Prisendam and will be docking in Warnemunde in late June, rather than taking a tour offered by Holland America we are thinking about renting a car and driving to Lubeck. Our ship docks about 7 am and we would like to be back on board by 6 in the evening. Has anyone done something similar? Do you have any advice with respect to the availability of rental cars nearby, a good route to follow and how long such a trip might take?

Check here for car rental options in Warnemünde:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-car-rental.html

Regarding the route suggestion:

write me an e-mail (see orange line of signature) or in the blog.

Some HAL-sailings call Warnemünde and Kiel. If your ship also calls Kiel: it't much more closer to get there to Lübeck.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We are on a different ship but I just arranged a car rental in Warnemunde through Hertz. The St. Petersburger office in Rostock will drop off the car at about 7:30 AM. I think the office closes at 6 PM (we actually arranged for a drop-off after hrs since we are driving to Berlin) We did have to special request our car but that was probably because we wanted a Premium car.

The international office for Hertz was extremely helpful on the phone and called back with confirmation within 2-3 days. They said you make drop-off arrangements when you pick the car up.

Hope this helps with the rental question.

I think the office closes at 6 PM (we actually arranged for a drop-off after hrs since we are driving to Berlin) We did have to special request our car but that was probably because we wanted a Premium car.

There is an outlet at Warnemünde Cruise Terminal.

So when the office in St. Petersburger Straße closes you can still return your car at the cruise terminal as the outlet is occupied until last embarkation.

That's available for all cars - not just for prestige cars.

Just go back to the cruise terminal and do not try to return at St. Petersburger Straße after office hours. There will not be anybody to give you a lift.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We are also on the Prisindam in late June and have also been thinking about renting a car. Would you, by any chance, be interested in sharing a rental and having traveling company on the way to Lubeck?

Mary

Hey guys - nice to hear from you. Once you fill out an exhaustive profile ensuring you're not a homocidal axe murderer we'll consider it! Just kidding, - we'll be checking on pricing etc... over the next few days. We've driven in europe quite a bit, so we're not concerned with finding our way around. Would be nice to have company. I understand you're from San Francisco? We're from the Toronto area.

Art & Di

We are also on the Prisindam in late June and have also been thinking about renting a car. Would you, by any chance, be interested in sharing a rental and having traveling company on the way to Lubeck?

Mary

Hey guys - nice to hear from you. Once you fill out an exhaustive profile ensuring you're not a homocidal axe murderer we'll consider it! Just kidding, - we'll be checking on pricing etc... over the next few days. We've driven in europe quite a bit, so we're not concerned with finding our way around. Would be nice to have company. I understand you're from San Francisco? We're from the Toronto area.

Art & Di

Hi Art and Di, Nice to hear from you! We would love to share this rental. Plus, my husband says, we would see more for less money. Mark and I live in pleasanton in the bay area. This is our 4th cruise and we are really looking forward to it. I have always wanted to see St. Petersburg. Let us know what you find out.

Mary and Mark

Hi Art and Di, Nice to hear from you! We would love to share this rental. Plus, my husband says, we would see more for less money. Mark and I live in pleasanton in the bay area. This is our 4th cruise and we are really looking forward to it. I have always wanted to see St. Petersburg. Let us know what you find out.

Mary and Mark

Mary,

I have some data on the car rental - let's chat offline - please forward your email address to me at:

amc1204p at cogeco dot ca

Thanks so much HeinBlod for the drop-off info. Hertz told me that they will 'drop-off the car at 7:30 (although we had requested 7:00) Is that how it works? Also, what is the likelihood that we would make it to Berlin for a 10:00 AM tour? I heard that the Insider walking tour is very good. Are you familiar with this?

Thanks again.

Hertz told me that they will 'drop-off the car at 7:30 (although we had requested 7:00) Is that how it works?

My e-mail-address is the orange line in the signature.

You can forward your booking confirmation to me. I can ask them in German if there is an earlier option.

Also, what is the likelihood that we would make it to Berlin for a 10:00 AM tour?

I should know the starting point and the day of travel. Then I can check if you can make it.

I heard that the Insider walking tour is very good. Are you familiar with this?

No - you must ask another "tourist". As a former Berliner I will not join a tourist tour...

Sorry.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hertz told me that they will 'drop-off the car at 7:30 (although we had requested 7:00) Is that how it works?

Since I know now that you are in with AZAMARA JOURNEY on July 1 and the official berthing time is 07.00 am it reflects their experience that you will not be before 07.30 am at their outlet.

But I have spoken with them. They are there between 07.00 am and 07.30 am to open to the outlet at Baltic Point.

So if you have a chance to get sooner from board your car will be there.

You will berth on P8 which makes you walking 3 minutes more before you reach Baltic Point next to the Main Cruise Terminal with your car rental outlet.

Also, what is the likelihood that we would make it to Berlin for a 10:00 AM tour?

Without having an idea which specific tour you booked I can only say that you will need 2.30 hrs to get from Warnemünde to Central Berlin.

I saw for Tour 1 (http://www.insidertour.com/tours.php/cat/27/id/40/title/Tourdetails)

that two starting points were available and one is

10.00 hrs in West-Berlin

10.30 hrs in East-Berlin

With an GPS you can make it.

But I would go 10.30 hrs in East-Berlin which is more realistic to meet than 10.00 hrs.

I would suggest to park at the Radisson SAS Hotel:

http://www.radissonsas.com/cs/BlobServer?blobcol=urlfile&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=Document&blobwhere=1165588796722

For your GPS

Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse 3

Berlin

(if district is requested: Mitte)

which is round the corner of Hackescher Markt to meet the guide at 10.30 hrs.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Heinbloeds wealth of information and patients. I have made all the arrangements and have rented a car at Baltic Point. We will be going to Lubeck, Schwerin and back. Can you tell me what is a safe speed on the Autobahn? I live in Southern California so am comfortable on large freeways, and if you are driving to Vegas anything under 80 mph will get you run over. I don't want to be the one getting run over, so what would you recommend as a good speed driving between warnemunde and Lubeck?

Thankis

Thanks to Heinbloeds wealth of information and patients. I have made all the arrangements and have rented a car at Baltic Point. We will be going to Lubeck, Schwerin and back. Can you tell me what is a safe speed on the Autobahn? I live in Southern California so am comfortable on large freeways, and if you are driving to Vegas anything under 80 mph will get you run over. I don't want to be the one getting run over, so what would you recommend as a good speed driving between warnemunde and Lubeck?

Thankis

Some general information on driving in Germany you'll find here:

http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/driving_in_germany.html

From the Cruise Terminal until you are on the 4-lane (2-each direction, seperated in the center):

max. 50 km/h (30 miles)

(restrictions: numbers on white background in red circle)

2007WmdInV42-vi.jpg

You can see the speed restriction sign - but it's very small.

This is the connecting by-pass (B 103) between Warnemünde and Rostock Autobahn (A 20).

Here most parts you can go 100 km/h (60 miles).

Once you arrived A 20:

2007A20V09-vi.jpg

This picture was taken on A 20.

Once you are on Autobahn all signposts are blue.

Normally speed limit is unlimited - and as long as you do not see a signpost which restrict you can go as fast as you want. (restrictions end if you see number in white circle with "strokes" cancelling the number).

Then the recommendation is 130 km/h (= 80 miles).

I go mostly restricted km/h + 10%:

So restriction is 120 km/h + 10% = 130 km/h on the meter.

ALWAYS STAY ON THE RIGHT LANE UNLESS YOU WANT TO PASS.

If there is no restriction as it was empty like then:

160 km/h (= 100 miles)...

why not...

We will do A 20 route on May 2 again and if there are new information we will let you know here.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks so much for the signage info and the great pics. As much as my family are race car fans, I think my mom wouldn't like 100mph. So 80 it is. Just knowing the speed limits ahead of time is great information on unfamiliar roads.

Thanks so much for the signage info and the great pics. As much as my family are race car fans, I think my mom wouldn't like 100mph. So 80 it is. Just knowing the speed limits ahead of time is great information on unfamiliar roads.

Most actual GPS can warn you for standard road restrictions (no constructions sides or exceptions).

Maybe it's helpful for you.

80 mph it's a good speed...

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 4 weeks later...
We just thought of car rental today as an alternative to the train. There are 4 of us so we only need a 4 passenger car. Any idea of the cost? We arrive on Tuesday 30 June on the Constellation.

Depends to your personal preferences:

just try it yourself to find the price which fits to your preference and budget AND the discount code which might your company or your travel agent or your automobilist club can tell you:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-car-rental.html

Here you find several providers.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi Heinbloed, I have been following your posts for renting a car in Warnemunde. We will be there on 8/18. I followed you directions and everything worked out great for the reservation and picking up at Baltic Point. I was nervous that they would reply in German, but it was in English. We rented thru Hertz and got a Ford Fusion for 66 euro with an auto club discount. (This info is for those who were asking about prices.) We're really looking forward to our day in Germany.

Thank you again for being such a wonderful resource.

Crusingsfun

I was on the HAL Rotterdam and there is an Avis at the dock if I remember correctly. I couldn't book with them as we were there on a Sunday. We took the train to the next stop and got a car from National and drove around.

Someone left the ship at a later time than us and got a car from Avis at the dock.

I was on the HAL Rotterdam and there is an Avis at the dock if I remember correctly. I couldn't book with them as we were there on a Sunday. We took the train to the next stop and got a car from National and drove around.

Someone left the ship at a later time than us and got a car from Avis at the dock.

Avis has no location in Warnemünde:

http://www.avis.de/Autovermietung/Europa/Deutschland/Rostock/Rostock;-Grubenstr-29

Their office is in Rostock downtown and that's not just one stop away from Warnemünde.

The next stop would be Warnemünde Werft which is just the shipyard.

You can go by train to

Rostock Hobeinplatz (7 stops / 16 minutes)

or

Rostock Parkstraße (8 stops / 18 minutes)

and walk from each of this station 21 minutes to the location of National/Europcar.

Or you take Tram 4 from Hobeinplatz to Volkstheater and walk from here again 8 minutes.

So it's 33-39 minutes to get to National/Europcar if you do not want to pay delivery to Warnemünde as they charge for it.

National merged its operation with Europcar so their location is as well next to Avis in Rostock downtown:

http://www.maporama.com/affiliates/europcarcom2/share/map.asp?LANGUAGE=DE&_XgoGCAdrCommand=run&sizex=370&sizey=263&INNERCODE=RSOC01&VN=DBAFFILIATEID&VV=21979A85-A98A-11D4-93F2-0080C8440675&SEARCH_AFFILIATE_DATA.x=Show+map+by+InnerCode

So you can book them to deliver to the port while their outlet in the store in the train station is open.

To make sure:

Hertz does have an outlet next to the cruise terminal.

Also is available on all Sundays and public holdidays.

And available as long as the cruise ship is in town.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived