What's it mean I'm waitlisted for dinner?

MrSegway

I booked my cruise, selected 2nd seating for dinner, and paid for the cruise in full. Up to now my reservation said 2nd seating for dinner. Now when I check my reservation it tells me I'm WAITLISTED for 2nd seating dining. What's this mean? :confused:

It just means its not confirmed. Before when you asked for a time, it was a request, not guaranteed, now they are changing some things and everyone went into waitlist status. Not to worry. There are like 15 more threads on this if you look thru the first few pages here if you want more reassurance its meaningless.

I just checked my sailing and I am waitlisted for 6:00 dinner. I used to be confirmed for 5:45. I wonder if it has to do with the new anytime dining?

You were never "confirmed". For many years now ALL dining time REQUESTS have only been requests. NO ONE was confirmed. When it showed your dining time it only meant it was acknowledging your requested time. Not confirming it.

To eliminate the confusion, they came up with the "waitlisted" idea.:eek:

Seems to be working wonderfully well, doesn't it?:rolleyes:

Dan

You were never "confirmed". For many years now ALL dining time REQUESTS have only been requests. NO ONE was confirmed. When it showed your dining time it only meant it was acknowledging your requested time. Not confirming it.

Dan

Sorry, but as a Platinum guest, my dining time is guaranteed, regardless of what the "waitlisted" thing says.

Sorry, but as a Platinum guest, my dining time is guaranteed, regardless of what the "waitlisted" thing says.
Guess next time we sail together, I'm gonna' have to get us 'linked' so I know when I get to eat...:rolleyes:;)

Other than that, I'm one of the 'waitlisted' people....:( DRAT! :o

Dan

We booked a group cruise thru Carnival and our early dining is confirmed.

Could someone explain to me why everyone is in a tizzy over this. :confused: For the majority of us we do not find out until we get our S&S card when our dinner time actually is, so why is everyone seem to be in a panic over it? Curious minds want to know?:)

We booked a group cruise thru Carnival and our early dining is confirmed.

Maybe it's different for group cruises, but for most folks...even though it used to say "early" or "late" on your documents, that was only what has been confirmed as your request. It doesn't mean it is guaranteed unless you are a Platinum cruiser.

Maybe it's different for group cruises, but for most folks...even though it used to say "early" or "late" on your documents, that was only what has been confirmed as your request. It doesn't mean it is guaranteed unless you are a Platinum cruiser.

It works the same for groups as it does everyone else...your "request" has been confirmed. Your dinner and table assignment is not done till right before your cruise.

The TA that handles the group cruises does not turn over the group info and dinning requests for table mates until roughly 30 days before your cruise.

Once it is turned over, you have to hope Carnival honors your request.

:cool:

Could someone explain to me why everyone is in a tizzy over this. :confused: For the majority of us we do not find out until we get our S&S card when our dinner time actually is, so why is everyone seem to be in a panic over it? Curious minds want to know?:)

You nailed it, girl! I never realized until all these "waitlist" threads started popping up that there are a lot of people who don't understand that dining times are never guaranteed (unless Platinum).

People see the "early" or "late" on their documents, and they think that means they are confirmed for that seating.....not just that they have requested it.

Well maybe Carnival should rethink the whole request thing and change it to reflect assigned seatings like other cruise lines;)

Or - here's a bright idea - Carnival could actually display it AS "requested" when you book, thru the life of the reservation. That would remove a lot of these questions, and some stomach-churning. Those who may not have cruised before can't be expected to know all the sublteties.

Well, since you asked, dining time in my case is a big deal because we like to eat as a family, which includes my 5 and 10 year old. If they had to wait until 8 pm to eat, it would be a big deal for the whole ship because everyone on board would hear the 5 year old screaming in meltdown from his low blood sugar. And it would mean that they both would miss out on Camp Carnival night time activities - or at least get interrupted doing them, as they run from 7-10. Then, it means that Mom and Dad would miss the show because we go back to the room with the kids at 10. We are not late night people and are ready for bed by then.

I realize that should I not get my early dining time as preferred, I have other options such as the Lido deck, or to put my kids in Camp for dinner. But that is not what I want to do, and believe it or not, it would be a big disappointment for me on my vacation to have to chose a late dinner as a family with no camp and shows, or dinner on the Lido deck as a family, passing up the wonderful service and food in the dining room, or no family dinner and sending the kids to Camp for dinner.

I have heard other people on these boards comment that families with kids should be given their dining preference for just this reason. Obviously, I agree with that and hope and pray that CCL takes this into their decision.

So far, I am 3/3 with dining time and have been very grateful not to have to visit the maitre D' upon arrival to change times.

And please, for all those people who think cruising is for adults only, please don't bother to flame me. My kids have never once had a melt down in the dining room, but rather sit quietly and talk about the day with mom and dad as they enjoy their dinner. Sometimes it is food off the kids menu, but last time around, my 5 year old was eating prime rib and chicken off the adult menu and loving it. And my ten year old had chocolate melting cake every night for dessert. Trust me, they would be very upset they had to chose between camp and family dinner in the dining room.

I'm diabetic and I dont want to be:

1)forced to eat a small "dinner" before Dinner,:(

2) be getting out of dinner just in time for my bedtime:(

and 3) I dont want to eat in the Lido for 7 nights.:(

Then you call and inform the 'special needs' department of your dilemma..! SIMPLE!:)

CCL has never failed me on any 'special requests' for medical needs...:D Enjoy your cruise...:p

• Administrators
You nailed it, girl! I never realized until all these "waitlist" threads started popping up that there are a lot of people who don't understand that dining times are never guaranteed (unless Platinum).

People see the "early" or "late" on their documents, and they think that means they are confirmed for that seating.....not just that they have requested it.

Oh, I totally understood that dining times aren't guaranteed. I just think for CCL to implement a change on the web suddenly listing everyone on every sailing as "waitlisted" is pretty poor IT practice! I haven't posted about it -- I noticed it, and within minutes saw the threads blossoming here about it, so I figured it's universal. But I do think some "tizziness" is justified here -- reservations which for months have shown "late seating requested" suddenly became "late seating waitlisted," with no explanation.

AMEN to that statement, I guarantee we'll have the dining time we asked for. :rolleyes:

It works the same for groups as it does everyone else...your "request" has been confirmed. Your dinner and table assignment is not done till right before your cruise.

The TA that handles the group cruises does not turn over the group info and dinning requests for table mates until roughly 30 days before your cruise.

Once it is turned over, you have to hope Carnival honors your request.

:cool:

TA is not the only way to book a group. You can also book groups directly with Carnival. And they have a dining coordinator that works with you on dining arrangements.

When we set ours up, you had to have a group of 8 or more cabins. They have recently changed it to 15 or more cabins for the guaranteed dining times.

Well, since you asked, dining time in my case is a big deal because we like to eat as a family, which includes my 5 and 10 year old. If they had to wait until 8 pm to eat, it would be a big deal for the whole ship because everyone on board would hear the 5 year old screaming in meltdown from his low blood sugar. And it would mean that they both would miss out on Camp Carnival night time activities - or at least get interrupted doing them, as they run from 7-10. Then, it means that Mom and Dad would miss the show because we go back to the room with the kids at 10. We are not late night people and are ready for bed by then.

I realize that should I not get my early dining time as preferred, I have other options such as the Lido deck, or to put my kids in Camp for dinner. But that is not what I want to do, and believe it or not, it would be a big disappointment for me on my vacation to have to chose a late dinner as a family with no camp and shows, or dinner on the Lido deck as a family, passing up the wonderful service and food in the dining room, or no family dinner and sending the kids to Camp for dinner.

I have heard other people on these boards comment that families with kids should be given their dining preference for just this reason. Obviously, I agree with that and hope and pray that CCL takes this into their decision.

So far, I am 3/3 with dining time and have been very grateful not to have to visit the maitre D' upon arrival to change times.

And please, for all those people who think cruising is for adults only, please don't bother to flame me. My kids have never once had a melt down in the dining room, but rather sit quietly and talk about the day with mom and dad as they enjoy their dinner. Sometimes it is food off the kids menu, but last time around, my 5 year old was eating prime rib and chicken off the adult menu and loving it. And my ten year old had chocolate melting cake every night for dessert. Trust me, they would be very upset they had to chose between camp and family dinner in the dining room.

Amen I am a mother of two also. My daughter will be a year old at the time of our cruise and a 7 year old son. My children are used to having dinner around 5pm every night. I do not want to get them off their schedule either. We are 2 for 2 with getting the seating we want so far. Both cruises we have gone on and the upcoming one has been with a huge group. So if they can accommodate a group of about 30 or more for us. Then they can make it for people with smaller groups also! I was wondering what was that waitlisted mean on my cruise doc's at Carnival.com meant. Thanks everyone!

I do understand that people want and need their specified dining time but what most people are not understanding is because the dining times are being waitlisted does not mean you will not get your specified times. Even if Carnival had never changed the terminology you still would not be certain of your dining time until you got your S&S card when you boarded, unless of course you are Platinum.

I just checked my sailing and I am waitlisted for 6:00 dinner. I used to be confirmed for 5:45. I wonder if it has to do with the new anytime dining?

Ships no longer use the 5:45pm time slots, its 6pm and 8:30pm now.

I logged on and saw that change in My Reservations section.

Dining Time: EARLY DINING 6:00 PM (WAITLISTED)

Nothing new, just stating that the 6pm is a request only.

Fred

Archived