More Cut Backs

Krazy Kruizers

But - does anyone else think that folks are getting a bit carried away

complaining about the most minor changes and referring to them all as

"cutbacks" - therefore part of an insidious plot to downgrade the HAL experience?

Really, how does NOT setting extra silver items (that are already bought

& paid for and sitting in their racks) save HAL any measurable amount of

money?

Thank you... you just saved me a long and possibly nasty rant by taking the politer version of the words right out of my mouth...

I wasn't complaining -- I was just curious as to what is happening on the other ships in the fleet.

Surely you don't expect anyone to buy that when all we have to do is look at what you named the thread.

First it was billroddy with his post that HAL is cutting back because Park West is voluntarily leaving...

Now it's this post and HAL cutting back because they are now in a position where they only have to wash utensils that are likely used, instead of every soup spoon in the place (even for those that just wanted a salad and didn't feel like soup. Or the salad fork and soup spoon for those that just wanted a steak...)

I mean seriously...

You WILL let us know if HAL ever does anything right... right?

Upset -- No way!!

You obviously do not know me or my postings.

I have a habit -- as do others here -- who sailed on HAL for years -- and all their ships -- to make it a point when we notice something different happening on the ships.

Then did you ever consider a thread title like "Dining Room changes. Just on Noordam?"

That WAS your point, right?

As Rhett, my butler, put it: "Frankly, my dear..."

The silverware were sitting around in their apartment.

George the spoon never made it in show business. Bill the fork, likewise. But Mack the knife...

On our recent Noordam cruises, we noticed in the dining room at dinner there we had just the minimal amount of silverware.

Gone was the soup spoon, the extra fork, knife and spoon that was always above the plate area.

Granted if you ordered soup, a spoon arrived with it.

Has anyone noticed this on the other ships?

We were on the Noordam (Back to back sailings) 2008. Noticed the same thing. We attributed it to the Open Dining option. At that time, open dining needed improvement -- very slow service; poor attention to detail; clumsy service - servers didn't appear to be well trained; not a happy atmsophere. One evening we were seated in a corner and totally forgotten. Our table never saw a waiter until I brought it to the attention of the D.R. manager. CC members that were in Fixed dining were pleased with the service.

We've selected Open Dining on our up coming cruise because we appreciated the flexibility and hope HAL has made improvements. If we see no improvement, we will request to be changed to Fixed.

You know Hal could save itself some trouble and just give everyone a spork. :rolleyes: That way you have your spoon and fork but only have to wash one item and it only takes up the space of one item. Its a multi-tasker. :rolleyes: :D

I want one.:eek:

On our recent Noordam cruises, we noticed in the dining room at dinner there we had just the minimal amount of silverware.

Gone was the soup spoon, the extra fork, knife and spoon that was always above the plate area.

Granted if you ordered soup, a spoon arrived with it.

Has anyone noticed this on the other ships?

We were on the 2/12/09 sailing and had the full set of silverware at our table. Would have preferred just the minimum as it would have been a lot less to move out of the reach of our 2yr old each evening, lol. Maybe it just depends on your waiter as to how the table is set.

I was told while on another cruise line that they were no longer providing full silverware service because of the dreaded norovirus. If silverware is not used at dinner, then maybe the crew's in a rush and re-cycles it for the next sitting, maybe the dishwasher doesn't fully clean it all, extra sets of possibly infected crew hands handling each piece -- there are lots of maybe's that would allow those nasty germs to spread. The same is probably true of the dining room trays. It's one less thing for them to have to fully sanitize (not just wash) every day.

As long as they bring me a spoon so I can slurp my soup, I'm happy.

Well thats the answer, we all bring our camping kits to the dining room.:eek:

No problem too big...:D

Or, we could all just go camping. Just think. No dress code to worry about, no AYW or fixed seating issues, etc. And silverware included. All in one.:D

I agree with you 100%..Also in this day & age it makes no sense to waste Water, washing the unused place settings! And it does make more room for other utensils..

For the record, we had full flatware settings in December on OOSTERDAM.

But - does anyone else think that folks are getting a bit carried away

complaining about the most minor changes and referring to them all as

"cutbacks" - therefore part of an insidious plot to downgrade the HAL experience?

If this was a complaint I agree with you, but don't believe the OP meant this as a complaint..However don't agree with others who think the table should be "well dressed"..

Come On, we are wasting so much of our natural resources ie: oil to heat water, water & oil to heat the dishwasher dryer, to dry the utensils..Having an "undressed" :rolleyes: table is one way to conserve! I applaud HAL:)..They are doing a great deal to conserve!

Really, how does NOT setting extra silver items (that are already bought

& paid for and sitting in their racks) save HAL any measurable amount of

money?

Every piece of silver on the table, whether used or not must be washed, dried & polished..Haven't you ever seen the Stewards polishing the Silver that came out of the Dishwasher & then taking the time to set up the tables..Not only does it save a great deal of our natural resources (hot water) it also saves the Stewards time! You figure it out!

Agree 100%

Betty

On our b2b 20 night Noordam (Med) 2008 on the Anytine Dining, lower level of d.r., there was no silver to polish. I immediately noticed the drab stainless steel at the place settings.

Archived