Another FYI for parents of kiddos w/nut allergy...

MamaParrotHead

I called our airline (northwest/delta) and asked if they needed to document that my son had a peanut allergy. They said they indeed do need to know that, and if peanuts are being served on the flight at all, the flight attendants will serve an alternate snack in surrounding rows.

I found it interesting and actually am glad it's one less thing I have to worry about.

Just wanted to share.;)

I know that some airlines have completely stopped serving snack mixes that contain any peanuts because some people have such severe allergies. I think that's a great idea. It's scary to hear when someone has a severe reaction from peanut "dust" that's in the air. I am thankful that we don't have that concern. I can't imagine how much harder (and frustrating) it can be for parents. What's amazing to me is that I've actually heard a few people complain about not having peanuts on a flight. What? They can't do without a few peanuts while on a 3-hour flight? They're so set on that traditional peanut snack that they're willing to risk someone else's life? Sheesh!

Thank you for passing along this information. It is bound to help many people.

beachchick

Oh, I don't think you need to worry about ONLY peanuts being served by the stewardess. These days when the seat belt off sign goes on, people take out their own food. We have had this occur many, many times on Spirit Airlines. It's a great idea to keep kids occupied on the flight, but the poor people who have peanut, soy, dairy , etc. allergies. I have personally heard people asking to be moved away from people eating on a flight because of allergies. Of course there are no seats left to move to and the parents are not too happy. Just don't forget their epi pen.

My husband has severe nut allegies. While they may not serve them in surrounding rows, I would worry about them being on the plane, period. My husband was on a flight where a bunch of idiots decided it would be fun to throw nuts around the plane at each other. When my husband complained to the attendants, it got worse. And, sadly, it was a bunch of grown men doing it.

Oh, I don't think you need to worry about ONLY peanuts being served by the stewardess. These days when the seat belt off sign goes on, people take out their own food. We have had this occur many, many times on Spirit Airlines. It's a great idea to keep kids occupied on the flight, but the poor people who have peanut, soy, dairy , etc. allergies. I have personally heard people asking to be moved away from people eating on a flight because of allergies. Of course there are no seats left to move to and the parents are not too happy. Just don't forget their epi pen.

That's a good point, especially since so many airlines no longer serve any food (unless you pay for it). We have brought our own food, usually a "picnic" style lunch, for years. I guess it would be impractical and, in many ways, unreasonable, to forbid passengers to bring items onboard which might possibly be an allergen to someone else onboard. At that rate, we wouldn't be allowed to bring any food at all. We don't bring peanuts most times, but we do bring dairy and bread. OTOH, I've never heard of anyone having an allergic reaction from bread or cheese "dust" like you can get with nuts. Hm. It can certainly be frustrating for parents and children alike.

beachchick

Archived