GCT & Discounted Trips

PCruzer

We are considering a GCT Romance of the Rhine & Mosel trip for the fall, probably sometime in September. First of all, is this a good time weather-wise. I realize that you can get a streak of bad weather anytime, but overall, is September a good month? Also, if we book this trip now and the rate subsequently is reduced, will GCT adjust the price for you? Would we have to cancel, take a penalty, and rebook? Does rebooking affect the air schedule you get? Don't know whether to book now or wait and see if the fare comes down. We are not terribly concerned about the location of the cabin. We would like to do the pre & post extensions, though. Would be interested in your opinions - pro's and cons. Thanks!

We took that trip the 1st 2 weeks of September last year. Most days were overcast at least part of the day. We had a couple of rainy (light rain) days and a couple of perfect days. I suspect that is what you will often get. Generally we find September is a beautiful month to travel almost anywhere.

It is a wonderful trip. You will enjoy it no matter what the weather is.

Larry

We are considering a GCT Romance of the Rhine & Mosel trip for the fall, probably sometime in September. First of all, is this a good time weather-wise. I realize that you can get a streak of bad weather anytime, but overall, is September a good month? Also, if we book this trip now and the rate subsequently is reduced, will GCT adjust the price for you? Would we have to cancel, take a penalty, and rebook? Does rebooking affect the air schedule you get? Don't know whether to book now or wait and see if the fare comes down. We are not terribly concerned about the location of the cabin. We would like to do the pre & post extensions, though. Would be interested in your opinions - pro's and cons. Thanks!

We are scheduled to leave in three weeks with GCT Egypt and the Nile. We did book way in advance because we wanted to go during the spring to avoid the extremely hot weather. A few months ago one of our traveling companions checked the prices and found they had dropped significantly. I was very upset and called GCT. They did discount our fares, and while it did not lower it to the cost that they were charging at the time - it was fair. They have been very accomodating with our requests. Hopefully this is an indication that they will do their best to please passengers and we fully expect to have a wonderful time. The closer you are to the date of the trip, the lower the fares will drop so that they can fill up the ship. Keep in mind that the upper deck costs almost twice what the lower decks cost, so the first two decks fill up quickly. Hope this helps.

Ronnie

We are not taking a river boat trip this time, but are on a land tour with GCT. I booked early, paid full price, and the trip is now advertised for about $1K less than what I paid. I contacted GC and they would not budge. I told them that I thought that I was being penalized by booking early, but they did not see it that way. No compensation at all from them.

We are not taking a river boat trip this time, but are on a land tour with GCT. I booked early, paid full price, and the trip is now advertised for about $1K less than what I paid. I contacted GC and they would not budge. I told them that I thought that I was being penalized by booking early, but they did not see it that way. No compensation at all from them.

Hmmm. This is what I thought might happen. Did you consider canceling and rebooking? I know there is a penalty involved, but sometimes it is still cost effective to do this. As for us, I think we will take the "wait & see" approach for our trip. Maybe it will drop in price. Thanks for your response.

Be sure to check the bed configuration. They seem to all be pullman style on GCT. There are other lines doing the same trip and have hotel style beds. Also GCT in not all inclusive when it comes to tours. Many are optional. Pat

We have taken two last minute river cruises with GCT. One (the Great Rivers of Europe) was booked 8 days before we left; the other (Holland & Belgium in Springtime) was booked earlier- maybe two weeks before we left. In both cases, we felt that we received a tremendous "deal" as far as price (plus we loved both trips!).

Here are some caveats: the pre- & post excursions were not available on either of our trips because if they are not booked early, GCT is able to cancel the reservations at the hotels. You will be getting a discount on the cruise (& any hotel days in the original package) because the ship will have to sail whether it's full or not; they might as well fill it at a discount- you'll at least pay tips, drink liquor, etc!

Secondly, our air routing for the Great Rivers was a little strange- but then it was booked at the last minute! We were able to negotiate with GCT (a little) for the second trip (to get better air routing). Your actual air routing is not completed too far in advance, so this may not be an issue if you book one month or more from the start of the trip.

One final observation: we have been looking at the Romance of the Rhine & Mosel for over a year now (hoping to get a great deal). For whatever reason, we haven't found any really great deals on that particular trip. We wonder if it's so popular that it's fully booked before GCT feels that they must significantly reduce the rates???

If you have not cruised the "Great Rivers of Europe" with GCT, and you see deep discounts on it, I really recommend it. It's the same number of days (16), but usually is less expensive.

We have taken two last minute river cruises with GCT. One (the Great Rivers of Europe) was booked 8 days before we left; the other (Holland & Belgium in Springtime) was booked earlier- maybe two weeks before we left. In both cases, we felt that we received a tremendous "deal" as far as price (plus we loved both trips!).

Here are some caveats: the pre- & post excursions were not available on either of our trips because if they are not booked early, GCT is able to cancel the reservations at the hotels. You will be getting a discount on the cruise (& any hotel days in the original package) because the ship will have to sail whether it's full or not; they might as well fill it at a discount- you'll at least pay tips, drink liquor, etc!

Secondly, our air routing for the Great Rivers was a little strange- but then it was booked at the last minute! We were able to negotiate with GCT (a little) for the second trip (to get better air routing). Your actual air routing is not completed too far in advance, so this may not be an issue if you book one month or more from the start of the trip.

One thing to consider if you do a last-minute booking: You are essentially forced to book your air with the cruise line. Booking airfare on your own, just 8 days in advance, can be extremely expensive.

One thing to consider if you do a last-minute booking: You are essentially forced to book your air with the cruise line. Booking airfare on your own, just 8 days in advance, can be extremely expensive.

Yes, that's why we did use GCT's air; "extremely expensive" is an understatement LOL. Unfortunately, we had a rather tight connection time in CDG; we made it, but one suitcase didn't. Fortunately DH & I always cross-pack, so we weren't too concerned- and it did arrive two days later.

I definitely recommend last minute "deals" since that's the only way DH & I can afford to do many cruises (retired, fixed income, stocks tanked, etc). But I thought the OP should know that there are a few downsides to last minute deals! (such as no pre-or post-cruise extensions, quirky flights, etc.)

We did the "Romance of the Rhine & Mosel" on GCT last fall, leaving in October. We booked on a last-minute deal, about 12 days before flying, and got what we believe was a great deal. We used GCT's air, and think it was fine, especially since it also included being met both in Newark and in Basel. We waited for a while until the right dates and prices came along, and felt fortunate when this happened. They had a deal almost as good as the one we got already this spring, so I think you can expect more like that as the season goes on. Bear in mind that at the front and tail ends of the seasons the prices go down, so the discounts are off lower prices now and in October.

Good luck in your planning and travels!

Stan (Car-Stan)

We did the "Romance of the Rhine & Mosel" on GCT last fall, leaving in October. We booked on a last-minute deal, about 12 days before flying, and got what we believe was a great deal. We used GCT's air, and think it was fine, especially since it also included being met both in Newark and in Basel. We waited for a while until the right dates and prices came along, and felt fortunate when this happened. They had a deal almost as good as the one we got already this spring, so I think you can expect more like that as the season goes on. Bear in mind that at the front and tail ends of the seasons the prices go down, so the discounts are off lower prices now and in October.

Good luck in your planning and travels!

Stan (Car-Stan)

Stan-

Thanks for the response. I think you are right when you say that prices will probably keep falling. We have seen it happening already for Sept. 09. If over the course of the next few months they come down another $500 pp, I think we will definitely book it!

Thanks again for your input!

Pam & Jack

• 2 months later...

September and even October are good times to go. For one thing, the sights you will visit are a lot less crowded since European travels is reduced substantially - due to the beginning of school in the first week of September. The weather should also be pleasant - not too hot any more.

Hardly any last "minute deals" were available last year. this year is a different story and all river cruise lines seem to offer last minute deals. Even better than what the cruise lines are offering is when you book through an online discounter.

We are still looking to go late July/early August on the GCT Rhine and Mosel. I saw that the prices are dropping (slightly) but we can't book until last minute anyhow because of possible family issues. For those who have traveled this route during the summer, how was the weather? Hoping it isn't too hot.

Archived