Montego Bay--need help

KMBB

Have never been here,traveling solo, what can I do that will be safe on my own? Any tours that one would reconmand? I love the beach seen, but I am afraid to try that on my own. I have been before to Ochios Rios, with Peat Talyor and felt safe. Help me if you can on anything to do here. Thanks, kmbb

Have never been here,traveling solo, what can I do that will be safe on my own? Any tours that one would reconmand? I love the beach seen, but I am afraid to try that on my own. I have been before to Ochios Rios, with Peat Talyor and felt safe. Help me if you can on anything to do here. Thanks, kmbb

just my opinion, but Mo Bay is probably the only port I would NEVER do without a local guide... Jamaica is a beautiful place, but we will definately use a guide whenever we are there... again, this is only my opinion

oldmedic--any suggestions on who? Or what to do? I really want to see Jamaica, but will not do this alone.

Anyone else out there with suggestions? Thanks, I leave in a week, help me out if you know anything to do or see, kmbb

oldmedic--any suggestions on who? Or what to do? I really want to see Jamaica, but will not do this alone.

Anyone else out there with suggestions? Thanks, I leave in a week, help me out if you know anything to do or see, kmbb

we use carolyn barrett at http://www.barrettadventures.com Rockland bird sanctuary and YS falls are our favorite places to go.... again, you can see my pics at http://www.oldmedic.smugmug.com you can contact her through her website....if you do book with her, please tell her bill and amy from Texas said hello! if I can help in any other way, please let me know...what ship are you going on?

Oldmedic---I am going on the Conquest(Carnival) just booked 2 days ago and need something to do at this port. I wonder why there is not very many things to do. I don't want to be the only one on this tour, how much did it cost? Thanks, kmbb

Oldmedic---I am going on the Conquest(Carnival) just booked 2 days ago and need something to do at this port. I wonder why there is not very many things to do. I don't want to be the only one on this tour, how much did it cost? Thanks, kmbb

there is lots to do in Jamaica... it is really a beautiful island... it is just not a place I would go out on my own.... Carolyn may have a group already put together for the day you are there, which you might be able to join... if not, you might want to checke the group roll call for the Conquest on the date you sail.. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=327 there may be someone from CC that already has something planned to your liking that you could tag on to and not be by yourself... i would strongly encourage you to see the real Jamaica, not what most tourist see... gorgeous island and friendly people...but be prepared to see extreme poverty..and again, if I can be of any help, please let me know...I think cost was @ $70-$80 p/p for the day that included admission charges

oldmedic---So you really felt safe and liked your tour with Carolyn Barrett? Did she do the tour or have someone else do it? Where did she met you at, how close to the cruise ship?

I'm close to booking with her, if she has a place for me. How long was the tour, did you go to a school, if you did, can you bring stuff with you for the children? Drinks on tour---water-safe in bottles?

Sorry for so many questions, but being on my own is very different for me, and I just want to be safe. We went as a family in Ocho Rios with Peat Taylor(twice) and I really liked his tour and felt safe the whole time. We went to all the back road stuff and saw the "real Jamaica" as I call it. Also went to a school with kindergarden kids there. My boys still remember it, it was very interesting and kids were so cute and caring.

So, I think this is what I want to do, let me know if I should tell her anything special to do, or just let her take me around. Thanks, kmbb

So you really felt safe and liked your tour with Carolyn Barrett?- Yes, we have never had a single moment of uncertainty or worry about our time with Carolyn….

Did she do the tour or have someone else do it? We have always had Carolyn, but I believe her husband Errol also does tours

Where did she met you at, how close to the cruise ship? Just inside the cruise terminal at the far left end of the terminal near the front door- about a 5 minute walk from the ship

How long was the tour,-ours lasted most of the day, but I am sure she can do a shorter one if you want…

can you bring stuff with you for the children? I would presume you can, check with her…,as far as bringing snacks/drinks for your kids I am sure that would be fine… just don’t bring any fruit off the ship on to land.

did you go to a school- no, we have traveled past several schools, but have never stopped at one…

Sorry for so many questions, but being on my own is very different for me, and I just want to be safe.- no problem mon!!…lol….

So, I think this is what I want to do, let me know if I should tell her anything special to do, or just let her take me around-we have always enjoyed the rockland bird sanctuary and ys falls…wish we could have spent more time at the bird sanctuary….we have had lunch at a couple of different places, but I have never been impressed,(I am not much of a fish person)…just my personal preference…let her know what type of activities you enjoy and I am sure she can tailor a day for you!!

We met Carolyn several years ago… I was reading a review from a CCmember that had posted a review of his day with her… he left his disposable camera in her van when getting back on the ship… Carolyn not only mailed it to him, but finished taking the remaining shots with some sites they did not have time to visit that day…. I decided then, that was the type of person I wanted to do business with, and we have never been disappointed with her service….She has an encyclopedic knowledge of Jamaican history and is very interesting to listen too… on our last trip we stopped at a friend of hers house and had fresh pineapple and breadfruit…great picture opportunity!! Again, if you have any questions, please let me know…

WOW---thank-you. I'll be emailing her shortly. Trying to get everything orgainzied around here and my stuff done also.(I have four men in my life, who I'm trying to get things done for, silly me for trying to get them caught up with thier stuff, don't know what they will do for a whole week with me--Ha Ha,) Leave April 4, for Hobby airport, visiting sister-in-law for a day. Thanks, kmbb

HA HA--Yeah, I would love to pass them off to another family some days. I have my Dad would is 92, still lives at home and drives a car(very scary), twins boys who are almost 21 that still live at home(one still in school other graduated from college, working many hours) and a 50 year old husband---need I say more!!!!! Plus, I am a only child taking care of everyone needs. I do it to myself, but being a stay at home Mom, I guess I feel its just part of the job. Really ,do love my family, we will see how they do when I'm gone(Oh know, they might just like me gone--HA HA) E-mailing Carolyn now, will tell her who I got this information from, thanks, kmbb

Does it take awhile for Carolyn to get back to you? I e-mail earlier today, just wondering, kmbb

If for whatever reason she does not get back to you, we used a very reliable woman too, her name is Kadeth Robinson and her no.876-333-1242. She was very nice and very safe to be with.

We did Mo Bay with a neat driver her name was Kadeth. You can text her and let her know what you want to see. We went to a local school with her and also ate lunch at a local place, loved it. We visited the bird sanctuary and if you want she will take you to runaway bay to see the amazing fire water, where you can have a nice massage, so wear your swimsuit, if that is what you would like to experince. We felt very safe with her and she was pretty reasonable.

travellingguyone-----Thank you for the information. I will give Carolyn a day or two to get back to me, then I will try your person, did she have a web site? kmbb

No unfortunately she does not have a website. She is very prompt if you text her and will get back to you asap. That is how I planned my trip with her and then I called her and told her what we wanted to see, and took it from there. She is a young woman with a wealth of knowledge and very reliable.

oldmedic---Yes, Carolyn got back to me and said to tell you guys "hi" from her.I can not afford her price for me to tour, it would be $150.00 for 6 hours. I only want to ride around and see a few sites for about 4 hours.

She was very nice in replying back to me, no problems there, just can't afford it.

Travelingguyone---I can't text, I am not very good at even being on this site. My husband would not like it if the texting thing cost money, we do not have that option on our phones.

To both of you, thanks for your help, I believe I am now staying on the ship, not what I want to do, but I can not figure out a safe tour for a short time being by myself. I have aready looked on my roll call, but people are doing the falls and long beach days. So, about all I know, thnaks for trying to help me, kmbb

oldmedic---Yes, Carolyn got back to me and said to tell you guys "hi" from her.I can not afford her price for me to tour, it would be $150.00 for 6 hours. I only want to ride around and see a few sites for about 4 hours.

She was very nice in replying back to me, no problems there, just can't afford it.

Travelingguyone---I can't text, I am not very good at even being on this site. My husband would not like it if the texting thing cost money, we do not have that option on our phones.

To both of you, thanks for your help, I believe I am now staying on the ship, not what I want to do, but I can not figure out a safe tour for a short time being by myself. I have aready looked on my roll call, but people are doing the falls and long beach days. So, about all I know, thnaks for trying to help me, kmbb

have a good trip, maybe you can tag on to someone's group from your dining table.... always a possibility.... any way, hope you have a great trip!!!

you are welcome!!!! Kadeth is cheaper, I think that is why she can't afford a website, it all comes in the package!!! I am sure you will enjoy the place around the dock and like oldmedic said you may get a chance to tag on to someone, take her details with you incase you want to still do a trip, she is very obliging!!!

Just a up-date---I think I am going to do a tour with Peat Taylor. I have done this twice before, but it is alittle different since we dock at Montego Bay in instead of Ochios Rios. So as of now, that's my plan. I just hate to have to have driving time in my tour, would rather stay in Mongeto Bay area. I leave on Saturday morning, so I'm getting excited. This is the first time in 35 years that I've done something on my very own(kinda scary) but it will work out. kmbb

Just a up-date---I think I am going to do a tour with Peat Taylor. I have done this twice before, but it is alittle different since we dock at Montego Bay in instead of Ochios Rios. So as of now, that's my plan. I just hate to have to have driving time in my tour, would rather stay in Mongeto Bay area. I leave on Saturday morning, so I'm getting excited. This is the first time in 35 years that I've done something on my very own(kinda scary) but it will work out. kmbb

have a great time!!! maybe Pete can do something in the MoBay area instead of driving far... i still recommend the Rockland bird sancturay, it is only about 10-12 minutes from the dock in MoBay... he might know where it is?? please post when you get back, so we know how it went!!!

Nice, Someday may be I will take the courage from you to do what you are doing!!! Enjoy your trip and I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Archived