Renting kayaks or guided tours?

Seashell86

My husband and I really enjoy kayaking, and that is on our "must do" list for Alaska. I am seeing that a lot of the kayaking companies have both rentals and guided tours. I have never been on a guided kayaking tour before, but have rented before. I am debating which would be better for our first time to Alaska.

To those who have kayaked in Alaska, what are your thoughts? My thoughts on a guided tour are that a tour guide may help us learn about the location/point out things we'd miss on our own. However, guided trips are more expensive, and we might be able to cover more ground(water?) on our own.

If we were to rent kayaks, do most companies give a map of a suggested path? Is there a certain level of experience that they would expect you to have? (I know how to kayak, but have never flipped.)

If it helps, I'm thinking of kayaking in Sitka and Ketchikan during our port stops...but not for the entire time we are there, because we'd also like to walk around the towns.

Archived