QE2 to be Scrapped in Dubai?

LuvBNatC

This link was posted on another message board pertaining to the late, great SS Norway, which was recently finished off in India.

I hope to heaven this story is not true, but after reading here how the new owners dumped all the memorabilia from the ship like so much garbage, I suspect it is.

The Norway looked like it had been totally ransacked, with many valuable items either trashed or left out to rot in the humidity, before the actual cutting started.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-queen-elizabeth-ii-cruise-ship-is-being-dismantled-in-dubai-2009-3

I just read this, how very sad

Last November, the world's most famous ocean liner, the Queen Elizabeth II retired from active duty and found its way to Dubai. It arrived in a grand procession, and in classic Dubai style, the plan was to turn the gargantuan vessel into a floating hotel.

Fast forward to now and the dream is dead. According to our mole in Dubai, the QEII is being dismantled. There's no business for the hotel, and the idled ship is just sitting there, costing money and polluting the water. Hence, workers are actively pulling it apart, a sad end for such a grand ship.

This article was taken from The Business Insider 23 March 09.logo.jpg

Members of the other board are now declaring this article a fake because of the vague way it's worded. I hope they're right. Even though I never sailed on her, I always intended to. To see the grand and elegant QE2 come to the same miserable end as the Norway would send me over the edge.

Karen

Archived