First Few Hours Advise

BillMD

Those pictures of the spa look wonderful!! Do you sign up for the raffle the first day? We will be getting to the ship in the afternoon. We have to catch a bus from Anchorage to get to Seward that day. Will we be too late for the drawing?

The bathrooms in the cabins are totally dark at night. You might want to take a small touch light or similar so that you can avoid turning on the bright light in the middle of the night. There is at least one outlet in the bathrooms for electric razors, but they're not always suitable to plug in a nightlight.

On the Vista Ships--Ooster, Wester, Noor,Zuidy and maybe Signature Euro you can ask when boarding if the dining room is open for lunch that day. Usually about noon to 1 pm. Last cruise they were telling wheelchair and walker people etc. to go up to the dining room for lunch. Sure avoids the crowds. Or just go by and look before heading to the Lido.

Make it a point to learn the names of your cabin stewards and dining room stewards if you have Fixed seating, and address them by name when you talk to them.

If you'd like to see some smiles break out, say "Selamat pagi/sore/malam" instead of Good morning/day/evening. Also "terima kasih" for "thank you".

If this idea appeals to you, CLICK HERE for pronunciations.

Thanks so much for this Info. ive always found that a bit of civility goes a long way in dealing with service personel. ( "honey vs vinegar")

Doo you know where one signs up for the cooking classes? I know the yoga classes are signed up for in the spa, but not sure re the cooking ones as this is my first HAL. Thanks much!

My hubby signed up for his cooking class at the front desk. Sign up early, as they tend to book up very fast.

In answer to the OP's question, my advice is to be friendly and talkative to everyone. I am normally a very shy and quiet person, but for some reason when I am on a cruise I become the complete opposite. I strike up a conversation with almost anybody, and make a point of saying hello to all staff. I am also very active in shipboard activities like trivia, board games, etc. It paid off on my last cruise because I was selected to be Ms. Statendam!

Archived