Safety in Cozumel

sosdiana

My Girl Scout troop (7 15-year olds :eek:) will be stopping in Cozumel on our cruise. A couple of parents have expressed concern for their safety. I'm not a big news watcher, so I'm not sure what's going on in Mexico. Can anyone shed some light on the situation there? Are the problems in or near Cozumel?

The problems that you would hear about on the news are not occurring on Cozumel. The closest that anything has happened to Cozumel was in Cancun where a retired Mexican Army General and two aides were ambushed and killed.

Most of the violence is occurring near the US Mexican border.

Cozumel isn't a violent place at all, but vigilance and common sense are must haves any time you're in another country, or even cities here in the states. I suggest that you only let the girls shop right there at the port, in groups of course, and take taxis directly to and from your destination.

I will have to admit that Cozumel is the safest port that I have every went to(IMO). I have taken my children and thier friends and never felt any threat. Even when it was just me and another mom!

Cozumel is an island away from the mainland and is safe, Also the cruiselines will not put the passengers in any danger. Have fun.

We were in Cozumel March 5th and felt very safe. We took a cab and took a tour around the island. We spent some time shopping at the pier and never once did we feel like we had to look over our shoulders. We were in Progresso the day before and also felt very safe there. We walked along the beach area. It was just my husband and myself. Just as anywhere else, you just need to be aware of your surroundings. I wouldn't let the girls go off by themselves though. Have a good time.

What a great trip for your troop! I'm sure the girls worked very hard to earn the money.

We have been to Coz many times have always felt safe. Stay on the main strip for shopping. Go to the shopping talk on board the have up to date info that will help. The girls are used to the buddy system, which is even more important on a trip like this. As long as you all stay together you'll have a great time.

Check out Paradise Beach we go there every trip and love it.

I did Girl Scouts for 15 yrs. we never did a cruise the closest thing we go to it was the aircraft carriers in Charleston. Which by the way was a great trip. What ship and port are you sailing from?

burnsie

Stay on the main strip for shopping.
Yep, you're a cruiser. I bet you also recommend to only shop at the stores your cruise ship tells you to shop at (The ones that gives the ship's shopping coordinator a kick back). The best deals are found a few blocks back of Melgar Ave. And it is quite safe to be there. Some of the best food can be found there as well.

Not sure where Melger Ave. is I have a tendancy to wonder and not look at the street signs. Not a big shopper, I don't wear jewlery, you can only have so many t-shirts and have enough mexican blankets. I do go for the talks to find more out about the cabs. Such as where to drop off, get one and stuff like that. More safety issues. Then I only go for the first time in a new port. I learn more from these boards really.

The reason I said stick to the main strip is she is going to have a Girl Scout troop with her. I thought it would be easier. It is hard enough to keep track of girls but than you get them near stores where they have money to blow it can be crazy!

The only time we ever really paid attention to the shopping recommendations is when DH bought one of those shopping guides in St. Marteen and so did my son. They decided to make it a scavenger hunt to collect all of the free junk. That was nuts!

While you are wise to do your research, you will be relieved to find that Cozumel is fine. It is an island. And it is an island that knows who "butters its bread" (tourist) and they do everything they can to protect that.

Use common sense and you will be fine. I too would recommend Paradise Beach if they want a beach day at this port.

Enjoy your cruise and Cozumel.

"Girl Scout Cookie Queen" woo hoo!!

Wow, had a hard time getting back here after I posted my question. Thanks for all your replys. I've done some more checking and find that the biggest problems are near the border anyway. So with the encouragement from this thread, I am feeling much better and so will my parents.

Burnsie - we're taking the Carnival Holiday out of Mobile. A bit of a drive from Kentucky, but we can handle it. The girls have been saving for 3 years, well, 3 cookie sales anyway. Several other money earning activities along the way. When the girls get to be teenagers, they don't have the "cute factor" of a little Brownie selling cookies!

VegasMan - we will definitely be on the lookout for Melger Ave area. I usually don't care for the main shopping areas anyway.

For those that recommended Paradise Beach, I will check into that too!

The girls are pumped and I haven't even showed them any shore excursions yet!

Thanks for all the feedback!

I also recommend Paradise Beach and Chankanaub. It's a little extra money, not much, but makes for a day of more than just "shopping". You will have plenty of time to shop and visit either of these places.

Having chaperoned High School Band students for many years in New Orleans, Chicago, Cincinatti, Grand Canyon/Tempe, etc., my opinion is that a day in Coz will be a breeze and filled with fun!

Archived