Okay... so what is going on here:

I would suggest calling Carnival or your TA. We sailed on the Sensation this past February, and the lady at the check in desk said that our Sensation cruise was the first to offer open seating. She seemed to imply that it was not well known until it actually happened.

All of a sudden I am seeing post that say "certain" Carnival ships are going to open dining! Which ships? I leave in less than 5 days!!!

With so many things changing at Carnival, maybe you can be the first to give us a review of the "New" Carnival experience.

All of a sudden I am seeing post that say "certain" Carnival ships are going to open dining! Which ships? I leave in less than 5 days!!!

Open dining is only an option. If you do not want open dining you can still have traditional dining. If you do it may be available and you can change it with the MD.

OP, since you are on the Fascination, don't believe open dining will be an option for you in 5 days.

This is the schedule for open dining on Carnival:

Available now: Legend, Liberty, Sensation, Paradise

Available soon:

Carnival Miracle 3/29/09

Carnival Elation 4/26/09

Carnival Conquest 4/26/09

Carnival Pride 4/27/09

Carnival Spirit 6/03/09

Carnival Fantasy 6/13/09

Carnival Dream 9/18/09

There may be others added soon. The word is that it will be fleetwide within a year.

Available soon:

Carnival Miracle 3/29/09

Carnival Elation 4/26/09

Carnival Pride 4/27/09

Carnival Spirit 6/03/09

Carnival Fantasy 6/13/09

Carnival Dream 9/18/09

There may be others added soon. The word is that it will be fleetwide within a year.

Okay; thanks for the info!

OP, since you are on the Fascination, don't believe open dining will be an option for you in 5 days.

Available soon:

Carnival Miracle 3/29/09

Carnival Elation 4/26/09

Carnival Pride 4/27/09

Carnival Spirit 6/03/09

Carnival Fantasy 6/13/09

Carnival Dream 9/18/09

I just booked for the Pride in September. No option of "open seating" was available. Or are you saying that it will suddenly become available IN April, instead of for bookings AFTER April? 'Cause that seems a bit silly of Carnival. Or (damn, there are a lot of "or"s!) is this something that you have to request on ship? It definitely wasn't there when I booked directly through Carnival online.

Found this on the web site, but not a list of which ships offer it.

Dining Times and Information spacer.gif Dining preferences such as dining time and traveling companions can be requested when making your cruise reservations. Requests are not guaranteed and all are subject to availability. Table size, table number, dining time and dining room will be confirmed at embarkation.

By popular request, all dining rooms are now smoke-free. Dining times are subject to change.

Breakfast & Lunch

Breakfast: 7:45 AM - 9:00 AM

Lunch: Noon – 1:30 PM

For breakfast and lunch, the main dining rooms are organized as "open seating," where you may come and go as you please during the set hours and are not obligated to sit at your assigned table.

Breakfast times vary by ship; the times above are provided as a general guideline. Please check your daily Capers for exact times. You can also enjoy a continental breakfast in your stateroom until 10:00 AM or a limited breakfast menu on deck.

Dinner

Early Seating: 6:00 PM

Late Seating: 8:15 PM

*Your Time: 5:45 to 9:30 PM

*Visit the main dining room any time between 5:45 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. to request any table size you like. No reservations required. You will be notified when your table is ready and we will seat your whole party together.

Confirmed Dining

At time of booking, Carnival guests will be able to confirm their preferred dining choice. If their preference is not available, they may confirm an alternate choice and be waitlisted for their preferred choice. Waitlists will be cleared prior to the sailing and guests will be notified by email.

Lunch and dinner are also available bistro-style on the Lido Deck. Spirit-class and Conquest-class ships, as well as the Carnival Splendor, have the added convenience of a reservations-only supper club (nominal fee will apply).

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Information.aspx

I just booked for the Pride in September. No option of "open seating" was available. Or are you saying that it will suddenly become available IN April, instead of for bookings AFTER April? 'Cause that seems a bit silly of Carnival. Or (damn, there are a lot of "or"s!) is this something that you have to request on ship? It definitely wasn't there when I booked directly through Carnival online.

Open seating option will be available on the Pride beginning with the April 27, 2009 sailing. Since you are booked for after that, the open seating will be available to you.

I don't know why that option isn't available online yet, but you can call Carnival at 1-800-CARNIVAL, give them your booking number and ask to be changed to the open seating option.

The Carnival website is not exactly up to date, unfortunately. Right now, they have the ships listed as having open seating as Legend, Liberty and Sensation.....but Paradise also began offering it on 3/20/09. It's not listed on the website yet, though.

we ve done it on NCL, we did like the fact of no rushing, eating when we wanted, etc,..however we always had a long wait to be seated for dinner in the 2 main no charge dining rooms, sort of a drag,,we d go around 7 or 7 30;...its a yes and a no..however now if a choice we choose a definite seating time

Archived