Elevator less cruise?

peppymom98

Call me crazy but I have an elevator phobia. I avoid them at all costs. IS it possible to avoid one during my cruise? I have less of a problem with the glass ones though.When we board the ship I don't imagine every passenger has to board an elevator or do they? I'm looking forward to this cruise so much but the elevator thing keeps popping in my head. DH is used to walking up stairs with me so at least we should keep in shape.

The only time I take the elevator on a cruise is when returning from port, and that's only because it's a good 6-8 flights to our cabin. It's completely doable to avoid elevators. I do it myself, though it's for the exercise factor. :) Where there's elevators, there's stairs!

It's doable, but exhaustive.

The only time we usually do it is after muster.

Interesting you would feel more comfortable on the glass ones.

The only escalators are in the two tiers dining rooms, for the wait staff only.

Hey Crazy! (You said to call you crazy)

I almost never take the elevator unless I have luggage or a tray, etc. It is usually faster to hoof it, especially after a show or in ports.

If you are in reasonable shape, avoiding the elevators should not be a problem at all.

IS it possible to avoid one during my cruise?

Yes.......and you are not crazy....maybe just a little claustrophobic? We have a family member with the same problem.....

Although after a few drinks he has no problem getting in one....:D

BTW he has no problems with glass ones either..........

Well your in luck...... I barely ever use the elevators on cruise ships even though you almost die walking up all the stairs.

The reason is..... they take too long! so don't worry about elevators on the cruise ship!

You shouldn't use the elevators on cruise ships anyhow, because using the stairs is your way of burning off some of those extra helpings you stuffed down at wake up meal, breakfast, brunch, lunch, pool side meal, dinner and late night room service.

Ok so maybe you need to go down a few levels and back up to make up for the extra helpings.

Our last cruise I didn't use the stairs for 2 reasons. Sometimes there were a lot of people waiting for the elevators and I could justify what I ate by getting the extra cardio in.

Zackly! It always amazes me how people will wait 10 minutes to go down 1 or 2 floors. I can see having a physical reason, but it comes down to laziness IMO.

BTW, does anybody know what "zackly breath" is?:confused:

If you haven't already booked I'd suggest looking at the Empress or Upper decks cause they are more centrally located on the ship..e.i. less flights to deal with most places. We try to 'hoof it' most of the time and are pleased with the location on our upcoming (Saturday!!:)) sailing on the Inspiration..(Upper deck).

I don't mind elevators except when they are stuffed full! I guess I'm claustrophobic...

Call me crazy but I have an elevator phobia. I avoid them at all costs. IS it possible to avoid one during my cruise? I have less of a problem with the glass ones though.When we board the ship I don't imagine every passenger has to board an elevator or do they? I'm looking forward to this cruise so much but the elevator thing keeps popping in my head. DH is used to walking up stairs with me so at least we should keep in shape.

I consider "the stairs" my attempt at maintaining my weight on a cruise. There are stairs right near every elevator...so I have to remind myself to WALK!:p

yes there are stairs...hopefully you are on a mid or upper deck...a hike upstairs from 2-14 can be a pain...literally

We had a Deck 2 cabin on our last cruise (not CC, but still 14 flights up...)... never once set foot in the elevator in 7 days...

Zackly! It always amazes me how people will wait 10 minutes to go down 1 or 2 floors. I can see having a physical reason, but it comes down to laziness IMO.

BTW, does anybody know what "zackly breath" is?:confused:

Umm I believe it is butt breath:D

Zackly (or Zackry) As in "You're breath smells Zackly like a butt!":D

We never use the elevator...faster, easier and better for you to use the stairs.

I too have a terrible elevator phobia but do better if it is glass (helps if you can see out) or DH is along for the ride. But put too many people in it and I freak out & have to get off!:eek: So I know how you feel and take the stairs as much as possible.;)

I don't do elevators either, I did ride a glass one 2 years ago on the Pride, but haven't since and don't plan to next week on the Spirit either! If we have forgotten something in the cabin, DH would rather go by himself to retrieve it since he rides the elevators. Now on the Splendor in October, I might have to since it's a much bigger ship, but glass only and not too crowded!

I don't do elevators either, I did ride a glass one 2 years ago on the Pride, but haven't since and don't plan to next week on the Spirit either! If we have forgotten something in the cabin, DH would rather go by himself to retrieve it since he rides the elevators. Now on the Splendor in October, I might have to since it's a much bigger ship, but glass only and not too crowded!

You don't like elevators? :eek: I thought you made me do stairs so I wouldn't gain too much weight on the cruise. :D

Umm I believe it is butt breath:D

Zackly (or Zackry) As in "You're breath smells Zackly like a butt!":D

We never use the elevator...faster, easier and better for you to use the stairs.

Oh, you guys are good!;)

Usually happens after a night of dranking, but stanky cheese can get you there in a hurry.:eek:

Thanks for all the assurances. Yes I am clausterphobic so the open elevators are better- esp since if you're stuck you know someone can see you in there!

OMG You are my long lost twin.:D I have the same problem. I had the same problem as you going on our first cruise. I was terrified to get in the elevator. My DH always has to ride with me in one,I would never go alone, although that cruise MAY HAVE cured me in some way. After walking the stairs several times without my DH around I got tired of it so I decided I would be a big girl:) and get in the elevator by myself. After that first time alone I actually began riding the elevator more. Don't get me wrong I still don't like it at all but I am getting better with it. If there are alot of people on it forget it I am not getting on.:eek: I felt the same way about the glass elevators as you, but the problem with those on the ships is they don't seem to stop very often on the floor I am on. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.:)

Archived