Valor or Liberty? Belize/Isle Roatan or Jamaica?

Mamarach

We are new to cruises, and have booked one on the Liberty to Cozumel, Cayman, and Jamaica. But I see that a lot of people seem to have bad things to say about Jamaica, and now I'm wondering of we chose the wrong destinations? Would the Belize/Isle Roatan be better do you think? There's one more stop, which could be nice.

Also, do you think one ship (Liberty vs. Valor) is better than the other? I noticed that the Valor has mini-golf, which my kids want to do, and it seems the Liberty does not.

BTW, we are traveling with our two young kids, ages 6 and 8.

Thanks!

Mamarach

I personally love Ocho Rios and think it's one of the more beautiful islands that I've been to. But it does have a reputation for not being safe. But I have never felt unsafe there. I think that if you stick to the commercial areas or take a ship tour, then you will have nothing to worry about. You will get hasseled for cab rides or to purchase things from vendors. But I have never found them to be rude or threatening at all. Usually, just a polite no works just fine. It's annoying more than anything...while walking from the port to Margaritavilla about 10 minutes away we were probably asked if we wanted a cab about every 20 ft.

The tours that I have done include the Dunn's River Falls, horseback riding on the beach and Mystic Mountain. Not sure what the age restrictions are for these things. But I did see kids at the Falls. You can hire a guide to take you up the falls and he will take you up the easier paths and tell you where to step. Check out the shore tours and see what you think your kids might like.

Misty

We are new to cruises, and have booked one on the Liberty to Cozumel, Cayman, and Jamaica. But I see that a lot of people seem to have bad things to say about Jamaica, and now I'm wondering of we chose the wrong destinations? Would the Belize/Isle Roatan be better do you think? There's one more stop, which could be nice.

Also, do you think one ship (Liberty vs. Valor) is better than the other? I noticed that the Valor has mini-golf, which my kids want to do, and it seems the Liberty does not.

Thanks!

Mamarach

Been to all these ports.... Love Cozumel and Cayman..... Jamacia and Belize are a horse a piece.... probably wouldn't do either without a ship excursion planned.... we did 4 wheelers in Jamaica and cave tubing in Belize.... both were fun.... wouldn't venture alone in either....

Mamarach, I was on the Liberty last summer and the ship does indeed have minigolf on board. That ship is just marvelous, so I have no doubt you will have a wonderful time. Coincidentially enough I'm now booked to sail on the Valor in May, so I'll be sure to let you know how that goes. But do not fret about the Liberty, beautiful ship.

Thanks!

Mamarach

I would do the Valor over Liberty. The three ports (Jamaica, Belize, Roatan) are all excursion ports(meaning you wont be doing much shopping) and Belize and Roatan have very good options for excursions. Plus you get an extra port. I just did Fins-n-Flippers in Roatan and on the five cruises I have been on, this is the best excursion yet!

Hi, I have done all of these ports and had a great time. I have not been on Liberty but heard it was beautiful. I was on the Valor and we loved the ship. I think you should go with the itinerary that you have booked. The is so much to do and see and you will love it. Your kids will love the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman! We (my daughter & I) loved Jamaica, though she had long hair and was constantly being asked if she wanted it braided. It was just the two of us and we felt safe in all these ports.

Janet

we did ochos rios with my parents a few years ago, we were both teenagers then

my mom hired Marva, a tour guide and she drove us in her van wherever we wanted to go and waited for us everywhere

she made sure people left us alone and watched our stuff when we were enjoying dunns river falls and the white snake river tubing

she also took us to shops and gave us a tour

my parents also requested she take us to a 'real' jamaican food place to get some real jerked chicken

and she did, we were def. the only cruisers there but everyone was friendly and it was a good experience

i would recomend her, she was great! (you can go to the jamiaca ports of calls and Ive seen her reviews and info posted by others there)

dont skip jamiaca because some people say it isnt safe, it isnt safe to be walking around there by yourself and going off on your own, but if you research and stick with a guide or a tour you will be perfectly fine!

we NEVER felt unsafe and we were tubing down a river by ourselves in the jungle with marva waiting at the end of the river for us! it was my moms FAVORITE part of the entire vacation

there will be people asking you to buy things or asking to braid hair and I even got some cat calls lol but, you just smile and say no thankyou and they go away

We just returned from the Valor and loved our excursions in Roatan and Belize. We went to Tabyana Beach in Roatan and it is beautiful! We went on the Geoffs Caye excursion in Belize and it was an amazing little 3 palm tree island with beautiful snorkeling surrounding it.

My boys want to do the exact same cruise next year for spring break and I agree! And the Valor is a beautiful ship with wonderful Carnival employees.

Thanks!

Mamarach

I haven't been on the Liberty, but I did the same route it's doing on the Freedom last year. I did the Valor route two years ago on the Valor. The ship was nice, but the staff was not the friendliest. I'd recommend you to stay with what you have.

I've been to Belize 3 times and it's my least favorite port of call. The three times I've gone I'd say around 95% of the people who did not pay for a ship excursion did not like Belize. Although, Isla Roatan is beautiful :D . I've been there once on ship, and once by plane, for 3 days, when I was around the age of your children. That was my favorite port of call from the Valor cruise.

With the Liberty's ports of call you will enjoy them all. I went to Ocho Rios for the first time last year. Lots of shopping areas, beatiful beach really close to the ship, beatiful island. I've been to Grand Cayman & Cozumel many times and I enjoy them every time.

I was in the same situation you're in. Liberty or Valor?

I chose the Liberty because I've always wanted to go to Jamaica, plus I live near Tampa and the Legend does the exact route the Valor does and it's only 30 minutes down the road.

I just don't want to cruise on the Legend, I don't know why, the decor just looks way to brown and gross. But who knows. I'm weird.

Thank you everybody for your opinions. This really is an active message board! I'm sure I'll be back when I have more questions, and I'll keep you posted what we decide.

I'll keep checking back for any other thoughts.

Mamarach

I took my first and only cruise so far on the Valor. I found the itenirary (sp?) amazing!!!! My kids were the same ages as yours when we went cave tubing and they STILL rave about it...Roatan is gorgeous and the people are wonderful. I enjoyed GC and Coz too but I felt it was more like an Epcot version of a different country...I was hesitant to cruise as I am a bit manic and need a lot of activity and having four ports of call was a big plus for me. I can tell you this...whichever one you choose you'll be happy. Whichever one you don't cruise will be your next planned vacation...Good Luck...I really can't say enough good things about Isle Roatan and we didn't even do an excursion...

Archived