Wine Cards

bubba88

travelin,

You can order the wine cards in advance on the HAL website, it's in the "online gifts" section, under beverage cards.

Prices are as Krazy posted.

I must be looking in the wrong please. Help please. The price list does not include beverage cards

Thanks

I must be looking in the wrong please. Help please. The price list does not include beverage cards

Thanks

It's just as easy to call Ship Services at 800-541-1576 or send an email to hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com

The 10-glass wine card is $41.40, 20-glass $77.63, 10 drink coffee card $29.90, 20 glass soda card $20.70, 10 cocktail card $64.69.

All prices include the 15% service charge.

Thanks

See post #26, I explained in detail where the cards can be found on the HAL website.

At the risk of boring everyone with my constant questions I am wondering if there is any reason we should purchase the wine cards prior to our cruise. I gather from the posts in this thread that we can easily buy the cards on-board and that they even have a slightly lower cost (due to no taxes). Any advice is appreciated. After helping folks for years on the port/Med boards (several thousand posts) it feels good to be leaning on others for good advice :)

Hank

We always purchase a 20-pour wine card online in advance of the cruise date. I like to get that expense out of the way and the card is in our cabin when we arrive (I also order a bottle of the Bon Voyage red wine). We have had no problems using the cards in the dining rooms and bars. I just went online to purchase mine for our July cruise, so yes, they are still available and currently offered online.

We were on the Ryndam 3/5 - 3/15. You can use the wine cards anywhere on the ship. They are good for the the house wines (which are decent wines). I think the price without the card is $6.50 per glass in the bars and dining room. The price with a 20 glass wine card, including the 15% gratuity, works out to about $3.50 per glass. In the Pinnacle Grill the per glass prices start around $9.50 per glass. When we ate in the Pinnacle they charged us the difference between $6.50 and the price of the glass we chose. Incidentally, HAL's prices per bottle are very high in the dining room. I buy Blackstone Merlot for about $10.00 in my local supermarkets and it was $52.00 in the Rotterdam Dining Room. :eek:

I buy Blackstone Merlot for about $10.00 in my local supermarkets and it was $52.00 in the Rotterdam Dining Room. :eek:
You can't compare HAL's price to your supermarket. How much does that same bottle cost in a local restaurant that is of a class comparable to HAL's dining room?

You can't compare HAL's price to your supermarket. How much does that same bottle cost in a local restaurant that is of a class comparable to HAL's dining room?

Well, I just checked the wine list at a very nice area restaurant. A bottle of Blackstone Merlot is $28. Rosemount Shiraz, one of our favorite cheaper wines is $26. (listed on HAL at $44.85). The same restaurant sells 10 oz. filets for $28. and 14 oz. NY strips for $26. and the quality is superior to the dining room but maybe not on par with the Pinnacle.

I agree that you cannot compare supermarket cost to restaurant cost, but a lower quality wine remains a lower quality wine regardless of the selling price. As long as customers are willing to pay four to five times more, whether by the glass, by the bottle or through a wine package, I don't think prices will be going down anytime soon.

We prefer using the wine card at dinner. In my opinion the "house" reds are not that inferior to many of the higher-priced, but rather mediocre wine selections. To each his own, but in my opinion the wine card is one of the real HAL bargains.

Just off the Eurodam this past saturday, and we used our 20-pour wine card in the Rembrant Dining room, Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind, and most other bars on the ship. We were never not allowed to use the card.

We also purchased a Signature Cocktail Card, and were able to use that all over the ship, however I must admit I never tried to use it in any of the Dining Rooms, just bars/lounges. The cocktail card did give some savings if you tend to drink martini's or any other fruity cocktails. If you are a rum and coke or rye and gingerale type drinker... you are cheaper to just buy them each time, as they only cost under $6.00 each

Archived