What is the best way to reward and punish employees via tipping?

SirDomino

This should be delt with in the following manner, if you meet a bad waiter etc,

Step one: Get his or her name

Step two: Ask the other guests around you if they have also recieved poor service from this person.

Step three: Get the other guests to sign a petition for the above mentioned name to WALK THE PLANK.

Step four: Hand the petition to the captain :p

Too many passengers see the daily surcharge as tips. In reality the daily surcharge is the bulk of their salary, not tips.

More and more cruise lines have implemented the daily surcharge because so many, up to half the passengers, skipped and stiffed the tips, these employees salary. The cruise lines compete to sign these employees to contracts. Frankly they are more independent contractors than employees.

They sign where they get paid, they don't sign where they aren't. So in the long run, those who stiffed created the daily surcharge. And no matter how much you don't want to reward them with tips, they will be rewarded. No one works for nothing.

Don I quoted you because your the first person I have seen say this about the dsc being part of the salary and your right.

people do not understand how much money the cruise lines are making, with the dsc we are paying the salaries.

I have not read this whole thread yet,and dont plan on it because im sures its the same bunch saying the same thing over and over. but let me address this comment. first of all people need to know that the service charge you are paying is not a tip, it is a charge set in place to help the cruise line pay the salaries and it also pays for other incentive programs. you need to read an educate yourselves, the DSC and tipping is different,

now the crew may get PART of the dsc but they do not get all of it,part of it goes to ncl, which is why I am against the dsc and would rather pay cash tips in hand to the workers that I receive great service from. I already paid my fare to NCL, I do not want to pay them more on top of all my expensives I will incur,,, Id rather it go to the crew in cash.

NO ONE here has the right to tell anyone how to tip. Keep your negative comments to yourself.

gratuities are completely up to each passenger on what they wish to leave. I dont know who james is but i do not beleive that they take back cash tips from the crew, that bull if they do,how would they even know, I think its a tactic to get us to leave our tips in place.

ncl cant steal back the money I leave my steward crew if I adjust the dsc for service issues in a different department. that makes no sense and ethically would be completely wrong.

In the End please educate yourselves about this entire issue, service charge is NOT tipping, gratuities is tipping. Do the crew receive part of the DSC, yes,but not all of it,which bugs me. my advice=

if you have bad service tell them about it and remove or adjust your DSC for whichever days you need to, if you have great service always cash tip and tell them to make sure they keep it.

hallelujah

I am still a firm believer that speaking to a supervisor while still on board is a better solution if there is a problem on board. Wouldn't you rather have resolution before the end of your cruise? I would.

The comment cards are also useful, but they are read and tallied after the fact (in most cases). I spend the week getting more comment cards and using one card per employee. Honestly, I've never had horrible service on a ship. I've had very adequate service but mostly, I remember those who went above and beyond - and there are so many of them!

And for the person who asked if anyone had ever seen employees in the empoyee hot tubs on the bow - yes, I have, but I wasn't watching a webcam. I've seen it on two different cruise, and they looked to be having a great time!

This should be delt with in the following manner, if you meet a bad waiter etc,

Step one: Get his or her name

Step two: Ask the other guests around you if they have also recieved poor service from this person.

Step three: Get the other guests to sign a petition for the above mentioned name to WALK THE PLANK.

Step four: Hand the petition to the captain :p

LMAO! Too funny :D

I have not read this whole thread yet,and dont plan on it because im sures its the same bunch saying the same thing over and over. but let me address this comment. first of all people need to know that the service charge you are paying is not a tip, it is a charge set in place to help the cruise line pay the salaries and it also pays for other incentive programs. you need to read an educate yourselves, the DSC and tipping is different,

now the crew may get PART of the dsc but they do not get all of it,part of it goes to ncl, which is why I am against the dsc and would rather pay cash tips in hand to the workers that I receive great service from. I already paid my fare to NCL, I do not want to pay them more on top of all my expensives I will incur,,, Id rather it go to the crew in cash.

NO ONE here has the right to tell anyone how to tip. Keep your negative comments to yourself.

gratuities are completely up to each passenger on what they wish to leave. I dont know who james is but i do not beleive that they take back cash tips from the crew, that bull if they do,how would they even know, I think its a tactic to get us to leave our tips in place.

ncl cant steal back the money I leave my steward crew if I adjust the dsc for service issues in a different department. that makes no sense and ethically would be completely wrong.

In the End please educate yourselves about this entire issue, service charge is NOT tipping, gratuities is tipping. Do the crew receive part of the DSC, yes,but not all of it,which bugs me. my advice=

if you have bad service tell them about it and remove or adjust your DSC for whichever days you need to, if you have great service always cash tip and tell them to make sure they keep it.

hallelujah

Ladder, please don't take this as a confrontational statement, as that is not my intent. I'm afraid your facts are incorrect, and I think need to be pointed out. As it's been stated many times before, only for the NCLA ship does the company use some of the DSC to pay for the welfare program required by law and the employees get the rest.

All NCL ships distribute 100% of the DSC to their employees. To imply NCL is acting unethically by keeping some just isn't the case.

As far as the employees keeping the cash tips you give when you've removed/adjusted the DSC, I believe James when he says that no employee will take the chance of getting fired by keeping a measly 10 bucks. If you choose not to believe that, that's your right.

As far as others "telling people how to tip," most of us are looking out for the employees of NCL because of our connection to NCL. We want them to be paid well for their hard work and take it personally when they're stiffed. It's called empathy. As far as keeping negative comments to ourselves, this is a forum of all opinions, and only the moderators can decided what is allowed to be said, and what isn't.

Ladder, please don't take this as a confrontational statement, as that is not my intent. I'm afraid your facts are incorrect, and I think need to be pointed out. As it's been stated many times before, only for the NCLA ship does the company use some of the DSC to pay for the welfare program required by law and the employees get the rest.

All NCL ships distribute 100% of the DSC to their employees. To imply NCL is acting unethically by keeping some just isn't the case.

As far as the employees keeping the cash tips you give when you've removed/adjusted the DSC, I believe James when he says that no employee will take the chance of getting fired by keeping a measly 10 bucks. If you choose not to believe that, that's your right.

As far as others "telling people how to tip," most of us are looking out for the employees of NCL because of our connection to NCL. We want them to be paid well for their hard work and take it personally when they're stiffed. It's called empathy. As far as keeping negative comments to ourselves, this is a forum of all opinions, and only the moderators can decided what is allowed to be said, and what isn't.

Amen. I just don't understand how an NCL employee, who knows EXACTLY how the system works, and comes here and explains what happens, who gets what, etc. can be ignored. Yet people continue to state that it doesn't work that way. What more do they need then the word of a person who is directly involved?

Also, regarding the statement about the passengers paying a huge part of the employee's "salary" with the DSC. So what? What difference does it make? If NCL removed the DSC tomorrow and decided to get rid of it altogether, the amount they pay their employee's in "salary" would drop drastically. And what passengers left in cash tips would make up the difference...or would supposedly make up the difference. But here's the hitch. What about those cheapskates who don't tip at all? Or those who feel that $1.00 tip is more then sufficient for dinner? The employee's would be the ones who would end up shafted. NCL's bottom line wouldn't fluctuate one bit. So who is benefiting by the DSC? Not NCL but the hard working people who need to be well compensated.

If someone wants to remove the DSC for what they consider poor service, or because they were off of the ship all day and feel that they didn't get any service, so they shouldn't have to pay the DSC for that day, fine. I completely disagree with them but that is their right to do what they want. It's between NCL and them. But to state that the program does not work the way NCL says it does, and completely ignore the input/statements/facts from an NCL employee? I'll never understand it.

CG

I will tell you as a former NCLAmerica housekeeping employee, an employee sees VERY little of the "service charge". Of course, this might be different for their foreign ships, but the American line, I know for a fact, does not recieve all that money you put in. If an employee is not good, please use the comment card, and if the employee goes above and beyond, PLEASE USE THE COMMENT CARDS. The employees do get feedback and its wonderful hearing from guest that they loved your service.

interesting you would say that: I think someone already asked you, what was your position on the ship and doesn't the NCLA (American flagged ships) have a different policy because of the benefit package the employees receive? My understanding is, NCLA works differently from NCL...

NIta

I agree. Comment cards or speaking with the HD. At a CC M&G, the CD, and HD are often in attendance and will give you their personal cards to call them directly if there's a problem. It can make a difference! :)

DT

I agree it can make a HUGE difference.

As i've said before, I don't believe it for one second. If you remove the autotip they could take extra tips you left on your sign and sail account. They could even ask the room steward to turn in any tip you left (in cash, in the room, where there are no cameras).

But how would any other employee know you adjusted your daily service charge? If you remove the charge on your last day do they circulate your picture around the ship and tell everyone to remember if this person gave you a cash tip, and if so you should turn it in?

I don't know if they still do circulate that list but they certainly DID at one time because I say it, first I saw them turn in tips to the head waiter and mark them on a sheet along with from whom the tip was, cabin number. AND on the last morning I Saw the list of people who had removed tips being passed around between crew, it was on a clip board and they happened to be crowded around it near an elevator I was taking, being in a wheelchair. It was quite clear what they were looking at, because I caught a glimpse of it and the comments of the crew made the total content very clear.

I also noticed that when anyone did receive a tip that night in the dining room the other waiters in neighboring stations were shooting glances over at them.

So yes they know and yes they turn each other in for unreported tips.

Good for NCL employees, not so sure for NCLA crew.

DT

Given the difference in labor laws, I wouldn't be surprised if the NCLA crew comes out better in the end regardless of this difference in how the DSC is handled.

My husband and I just sailed on the Dawn. I thought everyone had to pay the $12/pp daily tips. I would never think of opting out of this. We spoke to some crew members and most of them work long hours and send money home to their famillies. Yes, if you have a problem with a crew member (s), you should report it. Everyone was very polite on our ship. Crew members only get over time after 70 hours of working!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, first sorry for not replying quickly, I was on my honeymoon. Secondly, I started off a Utility Hotel (housekeeping in public areas), then I was a Stateroom Stewardess, then Senior Stateroom Stewardess.

I did make more than minimum wage since it was an American ship and we are under Union laws. We did not get much of the service charge, in fact I had to fight to get my sevice charge after I was promoted. I'm not saying NCL is a bad company, or I wouldn't have worked for them for a year thousands of miles away from home!! Besides, I went on the Norwegian Spirit for my honeymoon, hehe.

Not sure if that answers all the questions people posted, but I tried.

Given the difference in labor laws, I wouldn't be surprised if the NCLA crew comes out better in the end regardless of this difference in how the DSC is handled.

But the NCLA crew get paid a minimum wage under American labor laws. the NCL crew don't. As I said before, the DSC provides the bulk of their salaries, whether American or International.

Too many confuse American law for International law or American salaries with International salaries. Americans may see the DSC as a tip, but in reality its their salary. How many Americans expect their salary full time or part time being the same each week? How many Americans expect overtime, to be paid more for over 40 hours a week?

The safeguards are there for American workers, but not there for International workers. You only hurt American workers tip income when you stiff a waitress, but you more or less hurt International workers entire income when you stiff them. Nobody likes to grovel, including International workers.

But the NCLA crew get paid a minimum wage under American labor laws. the NCL crew don't. As I said before, the DSC provides the bulk of their salaries, whether American or International.

Too many confuse American law for International law or American salaries with International salaries. Americans may see the DSC as a tip, but in reality its their salary. How many Americans expect their salary full time or part time being the same each week? How many Americans expect overtime, to be paid more for over 40 hours a week?

The safeguards are there for American workers, but not there for International workers. You only hurt American workers tip income when you stiff a waitress, but you more or less hurt International workers entire income when you stiff them. Nobody likes to grovel, including International workers.

Did I say anything different? :confused: I don't confuse the laws at all.

Archived