Ohau shark encounter and north shore hotel

manasvi10

A) I am interested in taking shark encounter in Oahu. I found 2 companies offering this excursion

1)
North shore Shark Adventure

2)Hawaii shark encounter

Any recommendation or reviews ?

B) After cruise, we are doing PCC on saturday and then sunday early morning, we are planning to do shark encounter. Both of these places are close to North shore. Can we find good stay option in that area instead of waikiki (don't want to spend money) as we will go there for sleep and shower. Any B&B will also do....After that day will come to waikiki for rest of the vacation....

We did an early morning excursion with Hawaii Shark Encounters, and it was great. You can read more details and see photos by clicking on the POA-Hawaii link in my signature and then clicking on the Oahu page. We hope to return to Hawaii in a couple of years and will definitely use their services again. Let me know if I can answer specific questions.

We also went out with Hawaii Shark Encounters...book the first tour in the morning, as there is less chance of cancellation (rougher water and more wind in the afternoon)...even that tour was very rough, but overall a fantastic experience.

We also stayed at Turtle Bay...great resort, and conveniently located between PCC and Haleiwa, but just as expensive as Waikiki (if not more).

Don't forget Laie Inn near PCC, but It's older, needs some renovation in my opinion(major repair). It's a lot inexpensive than Turtle Bay resort. Check it out on tripadvisor.com. I thought about staying there, but just couldn't!

whale-watcher: VRBO is amazing and I am getting good deals for a night stay. Thanks a lot. It is completely new finding for me :) Awesome

About shark encounter,

I am a beginner as far as swimming goes..Learnt swimming just 3 months back and now practising hard so that I can participate in these activities..I am also practising snorkle use as per some comments on CC board.

Is it really hard to do shark adventure if you are new to swimming and snorkling..Because of this fear, I haven't booked the excursion yet...My husband is a good swimmer but first time in the sea...

The website says you do not need above skills but I don't want to go there unprepared...Any suggestions will be appreciated :)

Glad you are finding some options on VRBO!

No actual swimming is required for the shark encounter...you simply climb over the side of the (rocking) boat and into the attached shark cage. Once in the cage you would basically just need to be able to tread water (I think that they did provide floatation vests to wear, so you could basically float and just put your face in the water to see the sharks). The cage does move a lot as the boat rocks, so you might need to reposition a bit. You can also watch the sharks from the boat itself (they come to feed at the back of the boat, and you can see them swimming all around the cage and boat).

Again, this is not a great excursion for those who are very prone to motion sickness, but it is a unique and amazing experience--like nothing I have ever done before!

About shark encounter,

I am a beginner as far as swimming goes..Learnt swimming just 3 months back and now practising hard so that I can participate in these activities..I am also practising snorkle use as per some comments on CC board.

Is it really hard to do shark adventure if you are new to swimming and snorkling..Because of this fear, I haven't booked the excursion yet...My husband is a good swimmer but first time in the sea...

The website says you do not need above skills but I don't want to go there unprepared...Any suggestions will be appreciated :)

You absolutely do not need to be a good swimmer. My five-year-old daughter could doggie paddle and had just learned to use a snorkel in our pool about two weeks prior. She said she wasn't going in, but as soon as she saw the sharks, she changed her mind. The cage has bars all around and bars underneath as well as places to put both hands and feet for support while still keeping them inside the cage. If you wish, you can literally climb down the ladder, grab onto the hand bar, put your feet on the foot bar, and pull yourself from place to place around the cage that way if you needed to.

My dad and I both got seasick, but both of us say that we would still go again. :) Just be sure to eat something carb-y before you go and take the max dose of your chosen seasickness meds. We left Waikiki so early that there was nowhere to stop for breakfast, and I'm quite sure we wouldn't have been quite as nauseous if we hadn't had empty stomachs.

We did an early morning excursion with Hawaii Shark Encounters, and it was great. You can read more details and see photos by clicking on the POA-Hawaii link in my signature and then clicking on the Oahu page. We hope to return to Hawaii in a couple of years and will definitely use their services again. Let me know if I can answer specific questions.

CabinForFour: Just jumping in to say, WOW, what an amazing website you have. I so enjoyed all the pics of your Hawaii trip/cruise. Gave me tons of inspiration for our family trip. How old were your kids? What were the highlights for them?

CabinForFour: Just jumping in to say, WOW, what an amazing website you have. I so enjoyed all the pics of your Hawaii trip/cruise. Gave me tons of inspiration for our family trip. How old were your kids? What were the highlights for them?

Thanks. It was an amazing trip! The kids were 8 and 5 at the time. DS is a bookworm, and he has been obsessed with Pearl Harbor since then. DD loved the dolphin encounter, of course. Both loved snorkeling (seeing real fish, not just the bottom of our pool) and the shark encounter. We all loved the helicopter tour in Kauai! Every day, I long to go back! :)

Whale-watcher and CabinForFour,

Thanks for the reply. Now I have confidence that I will enjoy the tour without swimming expertise and that matters a lot for me..:)

I have also booked the excursion with hawaii shark encounter 6.30 am checkin to avoid large waves. I will also make sure I eat something solid (not much though) before taking my medicine :) hope that will help.

BTW I saw your website. The pictures are amazing...Once again thanks a lot

• 9 months later...
Don't forget Laie Inn near PCC, but It's older, needs some renovation in my opinion(major repair). It's a lot inexpensive than Turtle Bay resort. Check it out on tripadvisor.com. I thought about staying there, but just couldn't!

I am having trouble finding the link for this on Trip Advisor. Do you happen to have it? Thanks.

Archived