Recommend Alaska port activities with 6mo

SnorkelFool

My husband and I will be traveling on HAL in Alaska the end of May with our 6 month old. We booked the trip realizing that we would be limited in what shore activities we would be able to do. The ports of call are Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. What activities would you recommend for us in these ports? We are not big shoppers...like walks, scenery, history.

Thanks!

Juneau: if the weather is not foggy/too cloudy, take Mt. Roberts tram up. there is a short walk up there and great views. Also you can take the bus to Mendenhall glacier to go to the visitor's center and some shorter walks.

Skagway: I would suggest doing a train/bus tour.

Ketchikan - there are several different historical tours that would probably be perfect.

Your baby will most likely be very happy in a front carrier. I like to recommend soft carriers instead of bjorn style carriers (if you don't already have one) since they are comfy for the wearer for much longer and better for baby. We have a babyhawk mei tai, but there are lots of brands and styles available - just not at your local BRU. ;)

Have fun!

We've got 2 little boys and will be cruising the end of May visiting the same ports. To provide us total flexibility and yet still see the sights and get the most out of the ports we've rented a car at each port. For around $50 you can probably rent a small compact at each port.

In Skagway you can drive as far as you want up the highway stopping where you want and only going as far as you want. Most babies sleep in the car anyway....and then get out in the fresh air, eat...take a walk and they're ready for another nap for the trip back.

In Juneau we're driving up to Mendenhal (hopefully before most of the tours....we have a group of 5 all together so the cost of the shuttle bus/car is a wash)....the car will give us the flexibility again of staying as long as we want and driving to any other sites.

In Ketchikan we couldn't decided what to do so we did it again and rented a car....we'll drive to Totem Bight, maybe Ward Lake or anyother spot that catches our interest to walk around and explore......again giving us flexibility to come and go on our own schedule.

At any of the ports if we decide we've had enough...we'll just turn the car in, do any walking around in town that we want, and head to the ship.

I feel that flexibility will need to be your key. Keep completely to your own schedule but DO try to see and experience as much of the ports as you can.

Have a great trip

Judy

Archived