Go Scuba Diving in Jamaica!

nkw5

I have read many negative commends at this board regarding diving in Jamaica. I almost didn't go diving because of them, but I'm so glad I didn't listen. I went diving in Jamaica on Nov. 23 off of HAL Zaandam.

I suspect Jamaica diving gets a bad rap from people who go on the ship excursions. They go out to Ocho Rios where "everybody" goes and there is a lot of dead coral and few fish. Do some research and do make your own arrangements.

I guess there are 30 or so dive shops in Jamaica. I lucked out and found a great one. I worked with Christian at Scuba Jamaica. His shop is at Runaway Bay at the FDR Family Resort. He sent a driver to pick me up at the pier, yup, just me. It was about a 15-minute drive thru some gorgeous countryside.

They have their own boat and many of the sites are less than 10 minutes away. My first dive was with a DM and 2 others who were vacationing at FDR. We went to a sunken airplane at 70 feet. Viz was great. Then we drifted along the reef. I saw lots of color: soft and hard coral and beautiful fish (even a spotted drum). My second dive was the DM and me. We did the table and chairs site. Again lots of see including a large turtle. Then I got a ride back to the pier. All this for $70. (Compare this to a one-tank dive at Half Moon Caye for $69! I didn't do the latter.)

An expatriot who has lived in Jamaica for 13 years says that anything G. Cayman has to offer, he has seen in Jamaica. As for me and my limited experience, I'd rate my 2 dives at Jamaica far superior to the one dive I did at Cayman.

If you like to dive, do not pass up Jamaica. It's gorgeous!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived