Local spots not to miss

JCJR

We are planning to rent a car and drive to a couple of beaches. Are there any "can't miss" places that we can check out? My wife and I enjoy the local spots better than the tourist spots.

I would definitely head to the east coast. If you head out of town going south, you'll eventually get to Chen Rio (has a protected cove for getting wet . . . no riptides (I wouldn't recommend swimming on the east coast unless you were a strong swimmer)), then you'll come upon Coconuts (I've never been, but looks nice, tho a little touristy (not that there is anything wrong with tourists)) and finally you will come upon Mezcalito's (my personal favorite ... enjoy a brew in a hammack in the palm grove . . . good food also).

More recommendations: as you drive south, stop at Punta Sur at the southernmost tip of the island. The entrance will be on your right before you make the turn north along the east side. There is a lighthouse to climb, a nice beach and snorkeling. You may even see a crocodile in the lagoon (not the beach.)

As you head north along the east side, about a mile after you leave Punta Sur, look to the right for the blow holes.

Pictures 87 - 95 are Punta Sur here: http://picasaweb.google.com/waltm2/Mexico2007#

Blow holes here: http://picasaweb.google.com/waltm2/CozEastCoast2007#

Archived