Any formal nights...optional or not....?

Firtree

I'm a previous Princess cruiser, and have booked my first NCL cruise. I loved Anytime dining on Princess, so I'm sure I'll like it on the Dawn too..

I do have a question...are there any "scheduled" formal nights? I know it's always optional to participate, but just wondering as DH will be happy to not pack a suit if they aren't even scheduled. (more room for my clothes!! heheh) It will be a 14 day cruise, and if there are any, would there be more than one? I myself don't mind dressing up, but know alot of people don't like to.

Also, on Princess, in order to get "good" coffee you have to pay for it, is it the same on NCL?

Thanks for any answers!

Beth

I'm a previous Princess cruiser, and have booked my first NCL cruise. I loved Anytime dining on Princess, so I'm sure I'll like it on the Dawn too..

I do have a question...are there any "scheduled" formal nights? I know it's always optional to participate, but just wondering as DH will be happy to not pack a suit if they aren't even scheduled. (more room for my clothes!! heheh) It will be a 14 day cruise, and if there are any, would there be more than one? I myself don't mind dressing up, but know alot of people don't like to.

Also, on Princess, in order to get "good" coffee you have to pay for it, is it the same on NCL?

Thanks for any answers!

Beth

NCL has a night (probably 2 on your trip) where you can dress up and take pictures with the Captain etc. That is usually the same night they serve lobster in the main dining rooms. The beauty of this is, you don't have to participate, and nobody looks down their noses at you if you are in a sport shirt and slacks. Shorts and tank tops after 6pm will get you turned away at the restaurants almost any night.

I have seen many posts that you can get "good" coffee in the main restaurants without charge in the evenings. I have not asked for it, so am not an authority on that.

I just came back from the NCL Dawn, and they did have a "formal night" However, very few people (including myself) took part in this dining event. As a fairly frequent cruiser (11 cruises in 5 years), I find myself less and less interested in the formal night. The "Freestyle" option on NCL truly caters to those who just don't feel like bringing their suite and tie down to the Caribbean.

I do have a question...are there any "scheduled" formal nights? I know it's always optional to participate,....It will be a 14 day cruise, and if there are any, would there be more than one? .

Also, on Princess, in order to get "good" coffee you have to pay for it, is it the same on NCL?....

NCL does not use the term "formal". They refer to special nights as "Dress up or not" nights. Your understanding about it being optional is correct. I would guesstimate that the majority of your fellow passengers will not dress in suit & tie / cocktail dress. Precious few will wear tuxedos/gowns. Resort casual is appropriate all over the ship, every night.

We all have our opinions about what constitutes "good" coffee. I found the coffee on NCL to be acceptable, but not nearly as good as what you would get by paying extra for it. And not as good as I make at home when I grind the beans. I guess you'll have to try it yourself. Welcome to NCL.

Thank you all for your replies, and the welcome to NCL.......and my husband REALLY thanks you!! He won't be a bit sad not to take his suit!!

We're a bit apprehensive about changing lines, (not for good tho, as we still really like Princess) but we wanted some comparisons.....not looking for NCL to be bad or worse, we're just wanting to see what another line offers .....and the itinerary and price was good!

Beth

Archived