King Crab Legs

Lawingnutz

I asked this same question, and found out, much to my disappointment, that king crab is not in season in the summer, so if you find any, it has been frozen. I believe there is a crab shack in Juneau right at the dock

http://www.fishex.com/affiliates/stores/tracy/king-crab-shack.html

and they are something like $15 a leg. Which sounded like a lot, until I saw some king crab legs at Kroger...OMG...they are two feet long and as big around as your wrist, so even at that price, they are a great deal. We are hoping we have time to stop and take advantage also. Mostly what you find in our ports is blue crab, and you can check utube to see how to eat those babies....no thanks...sigh....King Crab or no Crab for this girl.

Being from South Louisiana we certainly love to eat crabs and lots of them.....Blue, King, Snow, Dungeness,....makes no difference, we know what to do with them. Not only do we eat them like no other, we can cook them better too....it's called seasoning.

Winter time is the season for King Crab, well that's too bad. Guess I will hae to settle for those frozen ones....what about Dungeness or Snow crabs? Does anyone know of a place that offers all you can eat crabs in Anchorage, Juneau, Fairbanks, etc???

Do you know if they serve King Crab legs or Dungeness crabs on cruise ships?

Being from South Louisiana we certainly love to eat crabs and lots of them.....Blue, King, Snow, Dungeness,....makes no difference, we know what to do with them. Not only do we eat them like no other, we can cook them better too....it's called seasoning.

Winter time is the season for King Crab, well that's too bad. Guess I will hae to settle for those frozen ones....what about Dungeness or Snow crabs? Does anyone know of a place that offers all you can eat crabs in Anchorage, Juneau, Fairbanks, etc???

You may get some fresh dungeness or snow. Was out on Fish & Game's commercial fishing website and it looks like different parts of Alaska's crab season are at different times. Though Red King crab is winter.

There are no all you can eat crab places. Just too expensive for that. I mean alot of times you're probably looking at maybe 3 or 4 king crab legs for $25 and up.

We did Sapphire Princess last year in June and there was no king crab or dungeness offered.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Found something funny on The Hanger website......

Jambalaya

our signature dish from the beginning! cajun' style sauteed

prawns and Louisiana hot link sausage with spicy sauce,

over fluffy rice

Now, for someone who lived in Gonzales, LA (a.k.a., The Jambalaya Capital of The World) and having learned how to cook jambalaya, from scratch, from a "World Champion", I find it very amusing that someone living in Alaska would advertise that they can cook jambalaya. First thing is you don't but prawns in jambalaya and second there is no such thing as cajun style jambalaya. I would bet that this is a red colored "yankee" dish and not brown colored as a true jambalaya is. I just may have to visit this place.....;););)

We are HUGE fans of king grab and after much search, we have found a little crab shack right at the docks in Juneau, called Tracey's Crab Shack

http://www.kingcrabshack.com/. They are rated #1 on Tripadvisor.com. I sent her an email asking what time they closed,as we won't be finished with our whale watching tour until 7:00. She said they usually close at 6:30 but she asked for my name and said she'd pencil us in and they would stay open for us! What hospitality!!!!!!

I can't wait for May and our cruise to get here!!!!:D

Enjoy!

Janie

sylteach,

Yes, they have crab legs one night, but they are more like "crab fingers" and are served in a broth..........very disappointing!:eek: I want them steamed with lots or butter and lemon!:D And, I want them BIG! LOL!

Lawingnutz; I agree there is no way I would not buy cajun jambalaya in Alaska. I live in Houma, LA and I know they don't do it like true cajuns anywhere else.

As far as the crab legs. As we walked the Ketchikan last year, my daughter wanted some pizza from Papa Johns. There was a little bitty counter on the side that was selling crab legs. I paid close to $20 and the serving was small, but it was amazing. Nothing like cajun seafood, but the crab legs were steamed and served with a butter sauce. I will be back to that little place again. It's close to the lumber jack show.

My brother is an Alaskan fisherman... has been since 1977.. originally a hand on a crab boat (King and snow crab...) now a captain on a Bearing Sea trawler... (he refers to his current job as "America's Laziest Catch")

They fish (for crab) mostly in the Bearing Sea, mostly landing the catch in Dutch Harbor... a long way down the Aluetions, where there is no market for fresh crab, and limited Federal fisheries inspection.

The catch is frozen, flown to Seattle, then inspected, then flown to their final market, some of which is in Alaska... So the King crab in the pan handle is likely frozen shipped via Seattle...

Flash frozen sea food is a really good product. Not as good as fresh, but fresh is really not available unless you are a fisherman or fiend of a fisherman.

Fresh King crab is sweeter than frozen... but good frozen is good fish...

Years ago (1987-1992) we used to eat at Cripple Creek Resort in Ester (Just south of Fairbanks) off the parks hiway. I did a google search and they are still in business and still offer all you can eat Dungeness.

Back then, you paid at the door and then went in and sat down at old tables made of plywood and with attached benches. The tables were covered with newspaper and they just continued to come out and dump crab, potatoes and corn out as long as you sat there. You had a bucket for discards and a roll of paper towels.

Not sure how it is now, but then it was really good food at a reasonable price. You met all kinds of people as you shared your meal.

Party Teacher, I did a lot of research on the crab feast on Mt. Roberts. It was something I was just sure we could do. Then I found out they serve the dungeness crab and after watching a utube video on how to eat them, they are served whole, I changed my mind. We'll go to Tracey's and eat the previously frozen King Crab Legs...yummmm

This is all very good information. Thanks to all of you.

I will try Tracy's in Juneau.

I will attempt to get to the Cripple Creek Resort in Ester. That sounds like the way we eat crabs, crawfish, and shrimp (the better prawns).

Krogerlady...if you like Blue Crabs you will love Dungeness crabs. A whole lot less effort for 10 times more meat!!!!

Randy, I know what you mean. It's a shame things are like that. It reminds me of the time I was in California and stop at a few road side vegetable stands thinking I was going to get a great deal on some fresh produce. Was I ever surprised. They wanted you to pay way more than you would in the local store for crap that didn't look nearly as fresh as at Kroger.

Anyway, I look forward to my quest for crabs, the eatable kind.

Archived