Stateroom on Norwegian Pearl

shellgoodman

We are thinking about taking our 2 girls (11 & 9) on the Pearl this June to Alaska. We have been on Carnival, Disney and RCL before and know their room layout.

This is our issue. The last cruise we went on was RCL. The lower beds could not be pushed together because the 2 upper beds popped out of the ceiling. My husband hated it and felt like we all were in bunk beds.

Are the rooms on the Pearl laid out the same way? On Carnival, the kids slept in a sofa bed and a upper berth came down. My husband and I slept in 2 twins that could be pushed together.

We are looking at an inside room or an oceanview on deck 5 with a picture window. Don't want to spend on the balcony as this is a last minute trip and I have the feeling that you need lots of money for excursions on an Alaskan trip vs. Caribbean trip.

We are thinking about taking our 2 girls (11 & 9) on the Pearl this June to Alaska. We have been on Carnival, Disney and RCL before and know their room layout.

This is our issue. The last cruise we went on was RCL. The lower beds could not be pushed together because the 2 upper beds popped out of the ceiling. My husband hated it and felt like we all were in bunk beds.

Are the rooms on the Pearl laid out the same way? On Carnival, the kids slept in a sofa bed and a upper berth came down. My husband and I slept in 2 twins that could be pushed together.

We are looking at an inside room or an oceanview on deck 5 with a picture window. Don't want to spend on the balcony as this is a last minute trip and I have the feeling that you need lots of money for excursions on an Alaskan trip vs. Caribbean trip.

Hello...We were in an inside room on the Jewel (sister ship to the Pearl), on deck ten. The room was very small, were even had them make it up as twins, so it gave us more room. There was a bunk bed on my side, that I kept bumping my head on. There was just DH and I, too. I would think this type of room would almost be too small, just my opinion.

Helen

we booked a minisuite on deck 11 . Our grwon duaghter was with us. She slept on the sofa which pulled out similar to a futon, sideways,to make a full sized bed. My husband and I slept in the main beds put together.

The best thing I liked about this arrangement was-we could still use the balcony when the sofa was made into a bed. Now this may not be true of a balcony or smaller room. If you could swing a mini suite it is worth it, regardless of no extra perks as this is NOT a suite. I don't want a butler but I DO want enough room that I do not feel cramped.

If the inside rooms for 4 on the Pearl are anything like the ones on the Star (and I am sure they are...) then there will be one bunk that flips down from the wall and the other bed is the trundle under one of the twin beds. When all the beds are opened, there is no room in the sleeping area. You have to slide to the foot of the bed to get up! It's like a giant sleepover party....not sure if your hubby will like this!:D However, we did it several years ago on the Star and will be doing it again on the Pearl this summer. Not a big problem...

Here is an alternate layout for the 4 beds in an inside or ocean view room...it involves putting the trundle against the back wall and using the two twin beds normally, creating a "U". If you like it, print out the picture to show to your stewards....otherwise, they may have a hard time understanding what you want.

http://community.webshots.com/album/558597829kgXIWy

My 2 daughters are the same age as yours. We have done Royal Caribbean twice in a balcony cabin on their newer ships. The 4 of us are fine in that size cabin but would not want to try anything smaller. So, when I booked the Pearl for October we had to go with a mini suite because the Pearl's regular balcony cabins are smaller than the one's we've been in on RCI. (That's according to the square footage stated on each website.) Actually, I think NCL is pretty reasonable for the 3rd and 4th person in a cabin so the price difference for us between a balcony and a mini suite was not much at all.

Thanks for all the info. I ended up booking the Pearl for June 7th. After weighing alternatives, my husband didn't mind the trundle next to two twins and doing the slide to get out of bed. It will be interesting but he still remembers how many times he hit his head when we had the bunk bed layout on RCL.

As this is a last minute decision to go on this, we decided to go economical on the room. It appears that the excursions for 4 people will be at least $500 a day. I guess we won't be helicoptering on a glacier or doing any dog sledding on this trip. I am just happy to go!

We were in an inside cabin on the Pearl in January, with two adults and one child. The lower beds were pushed together and our daughter slept on a pull down. The pull down beds go back up when nobody's laying on them and we have never found that they were a problem at all (we had FOUR in an inside cabin on the Dream but didn't push the bottom beds together - my mom was the fourth anyway, so we thought it was best that way).

In my opinion, an inside cabin is plenty of room for what our family uses it for. Your family might be different, but as long as you can work out a shower schedule, you should be fine. :)

Archived