Tipping at Miami Port?

I know another tipping question.

The only cruise I have been on is the Disney Wonder 2 years ago. We took a limo to the port and we were dropped off across the street from the terminal. When we pulled up there was a person standing next to a big luggage bin. The only thing she did was ask if our cruise tags were on the luggage and our limo driver took the luggage out of the trunk and put them in the bin. To be honest I did not think to tip this person because she didn’t even touch our luggage. When we got home I was reading the Disney boards and realized that maybe I should have.

My question is how is the luggage handle in the Miami port. My husband and I will be on the NOS in Septemberand I am not that experienced of a traveler and I don’t want to stiff someone that should get a tip.

I appreciate any help you can give.

We were just there...I think it is customary to give a buck a bag that you are checking...but this guy was so nice...we wound up just giving him 10 bucks...he had helped us out...we'd pulled over and he told us where to go to park and then where to go to get to the right entrance for the Majesty. The port is going through some major reconstruction right now...so it was confusing driving in on our own...by your trip...it will probably be OK.

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004
Carnival Inspiration - June 2003
RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

One of the ports, either Port Everglades or Miami (I forget which, or maybe both), has a sign stating something to the effect that the porters are adequately paid and tipping is not necessary/expected/required.

I think the porters would just as soon you didn't see the sign, or ignored it.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

Our porter in Miami...tastefully asked for one...we'd planned on giving him one anyway..."a tip at your discretion would be generously appreciated"...or something like that.

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004
Carnival Inspiration - June 2003
RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

Well, that's better than San Diego two years ago where the luggage handlers were [B]demanding[/B] $5.00 a bag. Our children and grandchildren brought theirs on by themselves, and I just smiled and said that I thought $5.00 for all the bags was enough.

When I was in Miami last year, the guy not so quietly announced that this would be the last time we would see him. I did see the signs, which I heeded. I might would have tipped him if he wasn't so obvious about it.

Luggage arrived just fine.

Theron

[email="TPKeller@rocketmail.com"]click to e-mail me[/email]
Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western
Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:
[url="http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/"]http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/[/url]

Archived