Seasickness/cabin location

emsachs

We are going to Alaska on Island in June.

Our minisuite is very far forward toward the bow on Caribe deck.

Someone told me that this is the worst place to be on the ship with reagrds to getting seasick.

I am traveling with my 81 year old father and this is a concern for both of us.

Should we move our cablin to a different location and if so, where??

try the middle and lower down cabins to dampen the effects of 'pitching'. If not possible then the rear should be better than the front which as you say is the worst. 'Rolling' can only be comforted by being in a cabin in line with the elevators (along the centre axis).

Hope this helps

For anyone that is worried about movement of the ship and seasickness, the best place to choose a cabin is midship and about half way down. There will always be less movement there then towards the front or the aft of the ship. Normally these cabins are in the higher priced categories for this very reason, they are highly sought after.

Best of Luck!

though everyone has said that the best place is midships and low, and are correct.....

The difference from high and low, front and back is not enough to prevent a cruise, or to fret over.

A few thoughts to blend into the mix:

* Alaska waters are generally calm, especially on inside passage

* There are multiple choices for seasick medicines, scroll back or do a search

* The MOST EXPENSIVE cabins on the ship on way forward, and on high decks. If they were so bad, do you think they could get the big bucks for them?

* Though technically, the front will go up and down MORE than midships, the difference is not always that obvious. These are BIG ships.

I get motion sickness easy. Have done two cruise this past year and used one of the newer pills. No problems.

Really, I would read through some posts that others have posted on actual effects of location, and use of various remedies (no matter what cabin you are in).

There are some people that SWEAR that the back of the ship is the place to be. They go out of their way to get those rooms.

On the other hand, I do not like the back as much because of the engine vibration. That sets off motion sickness or something more than the movement elsewhere.

Again, to each his own, and remember, your worst day on a cruise is still better than most days at home!

Archived