LIVE from the Dawn Princess (after dry dock)

BJS

This is for those of you anxiously awaiting news from the Dawn Princess:

First want to say we are again enjoying our cruise but feel many of you are looking for comments regarding the following so this will be on the Negative rather than the Positive side. Please DO NOT let this discourage any of you and ,as we tell others onboard, this is NOT a typical Princess cruise.

Today is day # 8 and ONLY the 3rd time the internet has been working! :(

There is now a lovely Internet cafe on Deck 7 AFT (instead of the small room which was present on Deck 12 near the Spa in April) with 20 computers of which less than half have worked WHEN there is service. As I sit here am seeing the first crew to even visit this room and he is booting up what appears to be all of the other non-working computers. (Looks like as others come and go they are having poor luck getting on.)

Carpets where replaced in many of the hallways and public areas. The Vista Lounge had the entry carpets replaced but not the entire room. NO ODOR in the lounge. Linens, etc. were not replaced -that we have seen. The seats in the Princess Theater appear to have been re-upolstered but maybe cleaning was just done. Others may be able to report on other things done in dry dock that we are not seeing.

ENGINE- that is a very debateable subject here on board. First port Curacao was shortened before we even boared and then we arrived after 2 PM instead of noon. We were notified the previous day that because of the winds we would be arriving an hour late but no explanation was made as to why that time was not met. The stongest we saw posted were Force 4 and that should not have made any difference so question how well the engine is working. With less distance to Barbados and Force 6 winds we had no trouble arriving at the scheduled time.

PORTS: Getting off the ship was a DISASTER when we reached Curacao and the worst we have ever experienced. (let me say this is cruise #15 on Princess)There was no public announcement made that we had been cleared nor what deck the gangway was located on. People where piled up on not only gangway deck 5 but all the way up to deck 9 trying to get off. There was a great deal of yelling and shouting at the few crew posted on deck 5. There was much shoving, one lady fell down the stairs. A second gangway was put up which helped. Those with Princess shore excursions were accomodated and all got their tours. I felt very sorry for those with Private arrangements and have no idea how they fared.

Barbados was not as bad according to those that got off early- by 10 am no problems getting off or an immediate shuttle down the pier to the Terminal building. Dominica had tours meet in the Princess Theater and that was also very poorly organized. Rather than the usual calling people by rows to follow a leader to the buses a general announcement was made for all those on tour #... to go to the Mid-ship gangeway on deck 5 and then to the buses. (Very strange and certainly not up to the high Princess standards when have had in the past)

Elevators- another horrible situation. Out of 6 only 4 have worked at any one time. People were trapped in one for 20 min. before anyone arrived, after several crew were notified, to get them out. Others refused to move or the doors don't open or close completely.

Food - Horizon court, not one of our favorite places to begin with, has been very limited in their selection. The few times we have tried for lunch or breakfast we vowed never again. Dining room food has been very good but even coffee there has not been the best. PC - anytime dining at an early time has always been our choice and we were easily able to secure a "standing reservation" at a table for two, same wait staff and table, at 6 PM but 6:30 was not possible. This dining room has filled very early compared to the other Princess ships we have been on. By 7 pm most table have been filled except the night we were in port until 8 pm. Service has been wonderful and prompt except for breakfast today - see below for reason.

Immigration in St. Thomas - Today we were to arrive in the Vista Lounge between 7:15 and 7:30 AM to pass through immigration. Arriving at 7:25 the line streached from the AFT - Vista Lounge to the Forward Princess Threater. It moved rapidly and in 15 min. we had cleared immigration. (Next time despite being instructed to go at that time according to our deck we'd opt to choose a later time and avoid the line.) We are at tender today which many were not aware of. No one was notifed and unless they checked the port information were not aware that the Dawn would be at anchor with 6 other ships and a total of 17,500 passangers to share the island with.

PASSANGERS: We have spoken with multiple first time Princess cruisers and can tell you ALL of them have said "Never again on Princess". For those of you that have read the boards you know that story of this cruise and for those of you that have not here is a short recap: 2 ports cancelled after Final payment with a $150pp shipboard credit to compensate, port times shortened in 2 ports, and lengthened in one. We are just glad that we "love" Princess and have had 14 other great cruises with her and can honestly say if this were cruise #1 there probably would not be a #2.

Entertainment: Many uphappy people once again as those that arrive for the evenings entertainment 20 min. early have been repeatedly turned away by a "full house". Having PC dining we arrive about 1 hour early with book in hand and find abut 20 people have arrived prior to us. By 7:50 when first seating dining is getting over it looks like a herd of people have been let through the doors and the rooms fills to 90-95% within minutes and still 40 min. until showtime. There have been 3 production shows, 2 comedians, 1 magician, comedy juggler, singer, and pianst. Movies: ( show in the afternoons and some in the evenings plus on the TV) Spiderman 2, The Clearing, Mooseport, Stephford Wives, I Robot, Man on Fire, Manchurian Candidate, and the Terminal. There have been 2 deck parties: Tex-Mex, and Island Night in addition to a very poorly attended Sailaway.

Crew and Service: Most have been very friendly and have given great service.

For some reason this ship seems "crowed", this cruise, where ever you go and as mentioned above the show rooms are no where large enough to accomodate all that want to attended the early programs. There seems to be a wide range of ages from children to "mature" seniors but possibly more interested in "indoor" activities this cruise than during the Spring Break cruises we were on earlier this year.

Our hope for those of you that will follow on the Dawn is that she will return to the excellance, these problems having been eliminated, as we found her this past March and April.

Wow - What a mess. Hang in there and enjoy what you can. Luckily you know that Princess can deliver an excellent cruise experience and this won't stop you from sailing with them again. I know if this happened to me I wouldn't let it stop me. Sometimes when one thing happens it has a snowball effect and it seems like this cruise has just been jixned from the start.

Given the tone of the many discussions about this cruise over the last few months, I'm expecting stormy weather when the first group returns to their computers. Sounds like the people responsible for getting people organized for tours, etc. are very inexperienced or just not doing their jobs - usually, the CD's staff handles that part of the operation.

I have two friends on this sailing of the Dawn and heard from them yesterday. They said although people are complaining, they have found nothing to complain about and are enjoying the trip very much.

I know it can be frustrating when things like getting off the ship in port does not go smoothly. I have been on a Princess ship where the crew doesn't seem to work together and things are just a little off. This sounds like one of those times. Wonder what makes this happen????? On the whole, I think Princess has some of the best crews around.

Carole

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. We were scheduled for that sailing but changed to the Sun Dec. 12 after being told of the new itinerary. I guess we made the right choice.

Hey, wait a minute. I'm on the Dawn Monday Dec. 13. One of us must be confused. I better check - it could be me.

Let's hope they get some of these kinks out - you have to wonder what could possibly be causing all those misc. issues with the Horizon Court, elevators, confusion over disembarking, etc.

I do recall that when we disembarked the Dawn in Puerto Rico, the immigration line stretched the whole length of the ship. We went to breakfast and came back and walked right through. I couldn't see standing in line like sheep. It was a poor system.

Thanks to BJS for posting and providing some insight.

I've noticed the bridge cam has been wrong or "stuck" almost the whole time. Do you suppose the internet connectivity issues and the bridgecam satellite snafus are related?

Thanks so much for posting this information and update. And please do everything you can to get this ship in shape for those of us that will be on future sailing.

Hopefully, they can quickly get this ship up to the usualy Princess standard.

Thanks BJS for the report. I, like many on these boards, have been anxious to hear how this cruise was going. I don't sail on the Dawn until April, but will be watching closely for any and all information and opinions.

BJBoothman. . . it will be interesting to see if any of this has improved by the 13th. I'm sure they will have addressed some of these issues before then. Let's hope your cruise is better than BJS's.

Thanks for the heads up! We really appreciate the information you have passed on to us. We are heading on the Dawn in 2 days...immediately following you. Hopefully, they will have some of the kinks worked out by the time we board. Have fun with the rest of the cruise!

Bruce

Thanks for the heads up! We really appreciate the information you have passed on to us. We are heading on the Dawn in 2 days...immediately following you. Hopefully, they will have some of the kinks worked out by the time we board. Have fun with the rest of the cruise!

Bruce

Capt: and make sure you do the same and report back for us Dawnsters still to come! We are going in April

I've noticed the bridge cam has been wrong or "stuck" almost the whole time. Do you suppose the internet connectivity issues and the bridgecam satellite snafus are related?
What we are seeing from the cam on channel 33 appears to be accurate. I really doubt the internet and the cam have anything to do with each other. They had a sign posted saying it had something to do with the server plus if you inquire you are given the standard "satellite connection isn't working". With the number of computers not working it leads one to believe it might have something to do with the "new" room and the hook ups. Probably one of those "Princess mysteries" no one will ever have an answer for. It has worked for two days in a row on some of the computers but just don't figure you will have access EVERY day and you won't be disappointed.

Bruce

Looks like they now have the elevator problems fixed and the internet is up and running for the second day in a row.

None of the things I have mentioned should cause anyone to not have a wonderful cruise. I just feel that if you know what "little" things might not be perfect they are easier to accept. This has been a cruise with wonderful service and a very friendly crew. If you have PC dining ask for one of Irma and Joanna's tables in the dining room. They give wonderful service. If you can't get one of their tables rest assured there have been many great waiters and you will not be disappointed.

Enjoy your cruise - WE HAVE!!!!!

Thanks you for updating us. We're on the next sailing....and it's comforting to know the ship still floats! (we were worried after no posts...and with the engine problem, etc). Here's hoping you soaked up enough sun to see you through the winter.

Maybe you could get trapped in the elevator long enough to stay for our sailing, too.

Cheers!

Thanks BJS for taking the time to post. We have been EAGERLY awaiting it. I must say I'm dissapointed by all of the little "quirks" that have been going awry. I'm glad that you all are making the best of it. Heaven knows we plan to. I'm hoping that before 12/30 they work all of these "issues" out.

Do they have a caribbean band by the pool during the day? previous reviews said they didn't have one. Also, is the rumor that they've installed MUTS true? Thanks for the feedback!
Yes they do have a band from Trinadad at certain times on deck by the pool. No MUTS (no announcements have been made to put them on the Sun Class ships that I've heard of)

Okay, computers seem to be working now. Do they have the option to use your OWN notebook via wireless working?

Have seen several using own computers so figure it must be up and running but no personal experience.

Archived